What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Polls, rankings and bowl projections

Almost a certainty. I gotta think the Oregon-Cal loser probably drops out
So many Top 25 games that there should be quite a shakeup. Also won't be that many undefeated teams after tomorrow, especially from the P5.

Game watching strategy is very similar to last week.

1. Root against Top 25 teams.
2. Root against undefeated teams.
3. Root for Pac-12 teams playing non-conference games (UW vs BYU / Furd vs Irish).
4. Root against Pac-12 South teams vs Pac-12 North teams (ASU vs OSU / Utah vs WSU).
5. Root against Nebraska and Baylor (Go Purdue! Go Oklahoma!). Note: this trumps #s 1 & 2 on this list in regard to OU.

I believe we will get jumped by a team or two behind us. While not our fault, our schedule to data has been horrible. We still slide in at #23, IMO

AP RankingTeamLast WeekThis Week
19OregonWon at #24 California 42-24vs #11 Washington
20BYULost at #11 Washington 35-7vs USU
21Michigan StBeat Central Michigan 31-20vs Northwestern
22DukeLost to Virginia Tech 31-14@ GT
23Miss StLost to Florida 13-6vs #10 Auburn
24CalLost to #19 Oregon 42-24@ Arizona
25Texas TechLost to #12 West Virginia 42-24@ TCU
26ColoradoBeat UCLA 38-16vs ASU
27Boise StWon at Wyoming 34-14vs SDSU
28Virginia TechWon at #22 Duke 31-14vs #8 Notre Dame
29South FloridaIdle@ UMass
30Oklahoma StWon at KU 48-28vs ISU
31Texas A&MBeat Arkansas 24-17vs #17 Kentucky
32IowaLost to #18 Wisconsin 28-17@ Minnesota
33South CarolinaLost at #17 Kentucky 24-10vs Mizzou
34FloridaWon at #23 Miss St 13-6vs #5 LSU
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

We may not get ranked in the Coaches Poll.

As good as we've looked, I don't know that we deserve to be ranked. I mean, 3 of the teams we've beaten are winless, and CSU's win was as lucky as you get. I mean, you can only play who your schedule says you have to, but it is what it is.

Now is our chance to prove ourselves.

For the Buffs, I prefer the 2013 Auburn model. 2012 they went 3-9 (0-8 SEC). 2013 they Didn't play as a ranked team until week 7. Dec 7 they win the SEC Championship game. Jan 6 they are playing in the National Championship game. I specifically remember that season like it was yesterday. Every week I'd root for Auburn, ****ty ass, couldn't beat a blind girls school in 2012 Auburn, to win every week against ranked opponents. No one took them seriously. Then out of nowhere...****'n A, they are playing for the Natty.

As good as we've looked, I don't know that we deserve to be ranked. I mean, 3 of the teams we've beaten are winless, and CSU's win was as lucky as you get. I mean, you can only play who your schedule says you have to, but it is what it is.

Now is our chance to prove ourselves.

Speaking of not playing anybody, the team who holds the #1 spot in the AP poll just beat their second Sun Belt opponent yesterday.....

For the Buffs, I prefer the 2013 Auburn model. 2012 they went 3-9 (0-8 SEC). 2013 they Didn't play as a ranked team until week 7. Dec 7 they win the SEC Championship game. Jan 6 they are playing in the National Championship game. I specifically remember that season like it was yesterday. Every week I'd root for Auburn, ****ty ass, couldn't beat a blind girls school in 2012 Auburn, to win every week against ranked opponents. No one took them seriously. Then out of nowhere...****'n A, they are playing for the Natty.

This season would be a huge success if it ended with a Rose Bowl appearance

This season would be a huge success if it ended with a Rose Bowl appearance
Agree. Point being, keep a target off our back, keep the players pissed/motivated that they aren't getting respect, don't let their egos get in their heads, and don't put too much pressure on the team.

If we are undefeated late in the season and have a chance to be in the playoff conversation, then I’ll lament the SoS. Look, we broke csu and nuh at the start of the year. New Hampshire isn’t on our level. ucla is a young team that’s completely changing its scheme and player management philosophy.

In the end, it feels good to be undefeated and have an offense that’s purring and a defense that’s significantly improved in the second half of games. There are only a handful of teams we face the rest of the way who have anyone on Viska’s level. Having the best player on the field in the college game is a major advantage. Viska and Montez’ playmaking abilities gives us a chance. That’s its own reward.

an article on the athletic site about usc -- the author says that the only team in the south that appears capable of exploiting usc's weaknesses is CU. from his lips to god's ears.

this is a really big stretch we've got here. need to beat down the stripper U convincingly. if we can then get the road win over usc, we are going to be ranked well headed into the uw game. my hope is that, even if we drop the game to uw, if our Buffs play well and uw wins out, we will continue to be ranked the rest of the way, with a nice top 15 ranking headed into the rematch with uw in the conference championship. yes, i am looking ahead. so there.

Glad to see us ranked. You guys acting like we are going to sneak up on anybody now are dreaming. Embrace the attention.
Yep.

I think this timed perfectly for being ranked. Teams have to learn to deal with success/validation/recognition from outside. During the bye week layoff would have been more distracting. Next week, there's more than enough to worry about going on the road to USC. This week falls well for entering the ranks.

10 undefeated P5 teams. Those teams are ranked 1-8, 22nd (CU) and 25th (NC St).

This is why it pays to start the season ranked. Trust me, I get that we have played exactly no one. Oklahoma is undefeated and their opponents have beaten:
  • Air Force Academy
  • Bethune-Cookman
  • Akron
  • Liberty
  • Hawaii
  • Buffalo
  • ACU
  • UTSA
  • Kansas
That's not exactly a listing of college football's finest teams in 2018. I'm not saying we are as good as Oklahoma - hell no. I'm just saying if we had started the year even as "others receiving votes", we would be ranked about 12th or so right now.

At the end of day, just keep winning and it will mostly take care of itself. In 2016, we rose all the way to 8th, ultimately finishing 17th as, guess what - the lowest ranked 10 win P5 team...

Back