What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Possible Replacements for Embree

I would bet my hat that Embree isn't going anywhere this season, making this discussion moot, but I think it is pie in the sky thinking that any decent FBS head coach is going to came here, and most likely most decent BCS coordinators will take their chances staying put or taking another job elsewhere.

USC is the best non-SEC program in the country, UCLA is on the upswing, Rodriguez is most likely going to be a success at UA, and both ASU and UU are in much better shape than us - and that's just the south division. We're going to need to find a diamond in the rough - someone that Bohn isn't likely to find.

The fact that Bohn might even get a chance to hire a third football coach is mind-boggling to me

:lol: this thread is comical....you all act like we have an Admin that would care enough to make a big name hire

Time to get real....maybe Jizla was right, we should have gone to the MWC given the support & commitment from our university

Petrino's a bad idea, and he's a bad guy. He'd have one foot out the door as soon as his press conference got over.

I still think Embree will get another year but what the hell, my wish list in no particular order:
Ken Niumatololo, Larry Fedora, Kirby Smart, John Chavis (contracted to be making 1.4 mil in 2014), Ron Zook (?), Tom Bradley (too toxic?), Mario Christobal, Bud Foster, Jim Leavett (too toxic?), Paul Chryst, Mark Hudspeth, Paul Rhodes, Brent Venables, Terry Bowden, Robin Pflugrad (too toxic?), Craig Bohl.
Off the top of my head, all those guys are worth contacting to guage thier interest. As for Petrino, it would be one thing if he screwed up once at Arkansas, but he has screwed up everywhere he has been that I can think of, no way CU would make that move

We're going to need to find a diamond in the rough - someone that Bohn isn't likely to find.

Then we might as well wait 2 years to see if Embree can learn to coach. Maybe it's a long term mentoring project for Mac. We'd be better off spending money finding some high quality coordinators to place under Embree, and paying them more than he makes. The optics of forcing out a Buff4Life coach after two seasons will do more damage to the program than a 2-10 2013 season. We're stuck.

Can you imagine how screwed we'd be if we got the next hire wrong? We're talking irreversible damage.

Then we might as well wait 2 years to see if Embree can learn to coach. Maybe it's a long term mentoring project for Mac. We'd be better off spending money finding some high quality coordinators to place under Embree, and paying them more than he makes. The optics of forcing out a Buff4Life coach after two seasons will do more damage to the program than a 2-10 2013 season. We're stuck.

Can you imagine how screwed we'd be if we got the next hire wrong? We're talking irreversible damage.

Can't get much worse than 0-12.

Moving my list here: My top three as of this very moment is probably Dykes, Cristobal, and Malzahn/Solich/June Jones type. I think those coaches can take us back to average and make the job more attractive. Cristobal and Dykes probably have the most upside of these five. I'm also a fan of MSU's offense while Treadwell was there.

Sonny Dykes
Mario Cristobal
Don Treadwell
Malzahn
Craig Bohl
Ellis Johnson
Doug Marrone
Kennedy Pola
Rodney Garner
Venables (not sold, but he'd come.)
Justin Wilcox
PHillip Montgomery
Frank Solich (yeah, Fusker, but he could stabilize the program)
Rocky Long
Dan McCarney
Larry Coker
June Jones (would have to pay more for him, but he intrigues me.)

Petrino is at the top of my list, for whatever that's worth. The guy wins. He's available right now. He's in need of redemption and would take the job. I'm not interested in all the reasons to not hire him. He fits the qualifications of what we need now.

For those that are talking about Coach Mac being the AD, can I just point out that he was one of the people pushing for Embree to get the job the most? What makes you think he should be involved AT ALL with the next coaching search? I love Mac for what he did for CU and am a fan of his, but it's time to stop involving him in these things.

To everyone saying "not possible" to this or that candidate I would like to point out that there is a national champion and former SEC offensive coordinator sitting at the head coaches desk just up the road at an equally under funded and "head up its ass" program.

Committment and money can make a lot happen.

Can't get much worse than 0-12.
Washington mostly recovered, they gave Willingham 3 years, and they didn't act with irrationality and impulsivity of a toddler. A real HC prospect won't touch that kind of situation with a 10' pole, and we'd be left with another Hawk-like gamble on a non-AQ coordinator. Even tainted meat like Petrino would stay the **** away.

Washington mostly recovered, they gave Willingham 3 years, and they didn't act with irrationality and impulsivity of a toddler. A real HC prospect won't touch that kind of situation with a 10' pole, and we'd be left with another Hawk-like gamble on a non-AQ coordinator. Even tainted meat like Petrino would stay the **** away.

Washington fired their coach who went 0-12.

And - they fired the coach who went 1-11 before him, too (after only 2 years).

My list:

Justin Wilcox (Washington DC)
Jon Baxter (USC ST/Assoc. HC)
Chris Klenakis (Arkansas OL)
Manny Diaz (Texas DC)
Mark Stoops (Florida State DC)
Mick McCall (Northwestern OC)

I realize it is a list that many will hate. Anyway, my reasoning:

-Wilcox is very young, but his ties to the PAC-12 and his experience as a DC at several schools make him a viable candidate.

-Baxter was the right-hand man to Pat Hill for many years. He is a very good ST coach, which entails working with players from several different positions.

-Klenakis was a longtime offensive coordinator at Nevada before his current stint at Arkansas. He knows the pistol offense and is a very effective recruiter in the Phoenix area.

-Diaz is another very young DC, but is moving up the ranks rapidly. Would he be interested in a job out west?

-Stoops knows the PAC-12 conference well and has had a big impact at Florida State in his time there.

-McCall has deep ties to Colorado (former high school head coach and Southern Colorado grad) and has done a very good job in developing QBs at Northwestern. For the most part, Northwestern's struggles have been on the other side of the ball.

charile strong, dc at florida for what 8-10 years, worked under meyers, a couple nc's in that time. has turned louisville around, got hc experience. the anti embree

To everyone saying "not possible" to this or that candidate I would like to point out that there is a national champion and former SEC offensive coordinator sitting at the head coaches desk just up the road at an equally under funded and "head up its ass" program.

Indeed....but you're 100% kidding yourself if you think we have either of those ($ maybe...but have to have commitment in order to give out the $)

I still think Embree will get another year but what the hell, my wish list in no particular order:
Ken Niumatololo, Larry Fedora, Kirby Smart, John Chavis (contracted to be making 1.4 mil in 2014), Ron Zook (?), Tom Bradley (too toxic?), Mario Christobal, Bud Foster, Jim Leavett (too toxic?), Paul Chryst, Mark Hudspeth, Paul Rhodes, Brent Venables, Terry Bowden, Robin Pflugrad (too toxic?), Craig Bohl.
Off the top of my head, all those guys are worth contacting to guage thier interest. As for Petrino, it would be one thing if he screwed up once at Arkansas, but he has screwed up everywhere he has been that I can think of, no way CU would make that move

Zook can recruit, but is a ****** game day coach. I'd like a good coach, period.

Unfortunately, we'll probably settle for a coach who is flawed in some area.

McElwain is a west coach guy not an SEC guy.

If you guys want Petrino you better jump on him. Rumor is the barn is already talking to him. You guys do remember when the trustees of opelika tech flew up to Louisville to talk to him before they fired Tubberville? Kirby Smart wants the UGA job when they finally get tired of Richt. I could see him getting out of the SEC for a head coaching spot for his resume.

My list:

Justin Wilcox (Washington DC)
Jon Baxter (USC ST/Assoc. HC)
Chris Klenakis (Arkansas OL)
Manny Diaz (Texas DC)
Mark Stoops (Florida State DC)
Mick McCall (Northwestern OC)

I realize it is a list that many will hate. Anyway, my reasoning:

-Wilcox is very young, but his ties to the PAC-12 and his experience as a DC at several schools make him a viable candidate.

-Baxter was the right-hand man to Pat Hill for many years. He is a very good ST coach, which entails working with players from several different positions.

-Klenakis was a longtime offensive coordinator at Nevada before his current stint at Arkansas. He knows the pistol offense and is a very effective recruiter in the Phoenix area.

-Diaz is another very young DC, but is moving up the ranks rapidly. Would he be interested in a job out west?

-Stoops knows the PAC-12 conference well and has had a big impact at Florida State in his time there.

-McCall has deep ties to Colorado (former high school head coach and Southern Colorado grad) and has done a very good job in developing QBs at Northwestern. For the most part, Northwestern's struggles have been on the other side of the ball.

Really dislike the first three names on that list. Totally shocked that you would mention Justin Wilcox who is in the Boise/Dan Hawkins coaching tree.

Any of the last three (Diaz, Stoops and McCall) are as good as any I've heard. All will get HC gigs at some point it seems.

Really dislike the first three names on that list. Totally shocked that you would mention Justin Wilcox who is in the Boise/Dan Hawkins coaching tree.

Any of the last three (Diaz, Stoops and McCall) are as good as any I've heard. All will get HC gigs at some point it seems.

I realize Baxter and Klenakis are not inspiring, but Justin Wilcox is so much more than the connection to Boise. He was an All-PAC 10 cornerback at Oregon, was a position coach at Cal, a defensive coordinator in the SEC, and is now a defensive coordinator in the PAC-12. Bellotti has been quoted as saying he would have hired Wilcox if he had gotten back into coaching. He is very highly regarded and seems to have the even keel you want in a head coach.

I can't believe we're already having this discussion again. Aarrghgg

Back