What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Pregame Thread: CU v Oregon State, 1pm MT kickoff, P12N

I disagree.

From everything we've been told Noyer is deadly accurate in practice and has a great cadence with the offense, when he is wearing the green no contact jersey. That hasn't translated to his time in live fire. Put Lytle in the game and let him run the offense against a P5 team.
And what makes you think the coaches are confident in Noyer? I posted several times in fall camp that Montez was clearly in a class all by himself and Noyer didn't stick out and was even relgated to third team when I was there behind Lytle. There are plenty of QBs that can run up the score on ****ty defenses in the second half of a blowout, that doesn't really mean anything in terms of how good of a QB he is and how he is developing.

And what makes you think the coaches are confident in Noyer? I posted several times in fall camp that Montez was clearly in a class all by himself and Noyer didn't stick out and was even relgated to third team when I was there behind Lytle. There are plenty of QBs that can run up the score on ****ty defenses in the second half of a blowout, that doesn't really mean anything in terms of how good of a QB he is and how he is developing.
Ok, lets simplify this. Do you find out more about a potential future QB by having him run drills and scout team with a no contact jersey, or by having him run your actual offense against a conference opponent?

The offense averages 32.5 passing attempts per game so for this season. That's 16/half. Even in a blowout, Lytle should be out there running the offense with the 2nd/3rd group at the same clip. Even if you want to run more than pass, give him 10-12 passing attempts in a blowout. Get him some live experience in front of a crowd, against a team he isn't familiar with. I don't see that as pointless.

Ok, lets simplify this. Do you find out more about a potential future QB by having him run drills and scout team with a no contact jersey, or by having him run your actual offense against a conference opponent?
I'm not going to worry about the coaches "seeing what they have" because they are stuck with what they have, short of going out and getting a Grad Transfer. I just want all our backups to get actual game experience, so we aren't sitting here worried about our 3rd, 4th and 5th string players being forced into a starting role mid season like we are with our CBs and WRs right now.

You find out the most about your quarterback in practice every day, how he handles the complexity of the offense, especially against players that know exactly what they are facing. Scout team against the starters is also a good way to develop a QB against a better defense than he will see all season.

Saying a conference opponent isn't really a fair representation. Lytle getting reps against Washington would be huge for his development, him getting reps in the second ahlf of a blowout against OSU, CSU and New Hampshire doesn't do ****.

The offense averages 32.5 passing attempts per game so for this season. That's 16/half. Even in a blowout, Lytle should be out there running the offense with the 2nd/3rd group at the same clip. Even if you want to run more than pass, give him 10-12 passing attempts in a blowout. Get him some live experience in front of a crowd, against a team he isn't familiar with. I don't see that as pointless.
Mac isn't going to run his offense in the second half if they are up by 28 points and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. You can get reps in for backups without throwing the ball and extending the game to increase risk of injuries and show good sportsmanship.

You find out the most about your quarterback in practice every day, how he handles the complexity of the offense, especially against players that know exactly what they are facing. Scout team against the starters is also a good way to develop a QB against a better defense than he will see all season.

Saying a conference opponent isn't really a fair representation. Lytle getting reps against Washington would be huge for his development, him getting reps in the second ahlf of a blowout against OSU, CSU and New Hampshire doesn't do ****.
Your entire argument in this post is contradictory. So if Lytle got reps against Washington it would be huge, but if he gets any reps against OSU it doesn't mean ****?

Agree to disagree, I suppose. Live game time is a crucial step in the development of any athlete. Strange to argue otherwise.

Mac isn't going to run his offense in the second half if they are up by 28 points and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. You can get reps in for backups without throwing the ball and extending the game to increase risk of injuries and show good sportsmanship.
Well, that's kind of the entire point that people are bitching about. Also, a QB taking snaps and handing off is actually pointless.

Lytle missing out on 7-8 passes in the second half of a game you are up by a ton, against a really ****ty team, doesn't really mean anything for development other than fans like to bitch about everything.

10-15 passes in blowouts and a series in most/all other games adds up. You are talking 75ish passes in a season.

Instead, we get stuck with neither. But yeah, totally "pointless bitching."

And lol at finding out everything in practice when it comes to QBs.

I'm not going to worry about the coaches "seeing what they have" because they are stuck with what they have, short of going out and getting a Grad Transfer. I just want all our backups to get actual game experience, so we aren't sitting here worried about our 3rd, 4th and 5th string players being forced into a starting role mid season like we are with our CBs and WRs right now.
My thought is that if you come out of this season and do not feel confident that Noyer or Lytle are a long term answer, that might change your approach on how you groom Stenstrom and Evans. Or yes, if Montez ends up taking a look at the NFL, you hit the grad transfer market.

Your entire argument in this post is contradictory. So if Lytle got reps against Washington it would be huge, but if he gets any reps against OSU it doesn't mean ****?

Agree to disagree, I suppose. Live game time is a crucial step in the development of any athlete. Strange to argue otherwise.
It's not contradictory at all. Reps in the second half of a blowout against terrible teams/defenses don't teach you much of anything in terms of playing when it matters. The crowd is out of it, the other team has given up, he wouldn't be playing with the ones. All of this experience people want to point out is pretty minimal when you think about it.

10-15 passes in blowouts and a series in most/all other games adds up. You are talking 75ish passes in a season.

Instead, we get stuck with neither. But yeah, totally "pointless bitching."

And lol at finding out everything in practice when it comes to QBs.
There is really only three games this year where it matters so you are complaining about 30-45 passes against two of the worst defenses in the country (in garbage time) and a FCS team. I never said you figure out everything about a QB in practice, just that those reps in garbage time against those teams don't really teach you anything either.

It's not contradictory at all. Reps in the second half of a blowout against terrible teams/defenses don't teach you much of anything in terms of playing when it matters. The crowd is out of it, the other team has given up, he wouldn't be playing with the ones. All of this experience people want to point out is pretty minimal when you think about it.
If you actually believe that Lytle wouldn't want to go in late and game and show the coaches what he is made of, you're crazy. These kids are competitors. He wants his chance to go out there and lead the team down the field.

If you actually believe that Lytle wouldn't want to go in late and game and show the coaches what he is made of, you're crazy. These kids are competitors. He wants his chance to go out there and lead the team down the field.
I never said Lytle doesn't want to go out there and show the coaches what he has. Of course he wants to play. Coaches have a lot more to worry about than a backup QB wanting to go chuck it around a bunch at the end of a game.

I never said Lytle doesn't want to go out there and show the coaches what he has. Of course he wants to play. Coaches have a lot more to worry about than a backup QB wanting to go chuck it around a bunch at the end of a game.
More to worry about? I thought you said it was all pointless??

Lol What. The. ****. Man?? So it's not pointless for every other 2nd and 3rd team player to get meaningful snaps against an awful defense in a blowout "when they've quit and the crowd is out of it", but it IS pointless for the QB to get actual passing reps in the same situation?
I said you can still get reps in by running the ball, draining the clock, not running up the score and trying to limit injuries. Throwing the ball does the exact opposite of that.

weird hill to die on dude

I'm a firm believer that some guys are just **** in practice and you have to see them play in a real game to really have an idea of what they're capable of.

It's also a worthwhile development to get them in there to get their feet wet. If a kid has already thrown a few passes in a live game, he'll get some confidence. This is why OCs love to open up games for their QBs with "confidence bulding" plays. Gets them in a groove.

If Lytle or Noyer sucks, a few throws against OSU won't matter, but it also shouldn't hurt.

I said you can still get reps in by running the ball, draining the clock, not running up the score and trying to limit injuries. Throwing the ball does the exact opposite of that.
CU desperately needs reps running their O, not some ball control, contrived O that won’t beat Wazzu or Utah later

Our backup qb needs all the reps he can get, don't care who it's against or the situation.

Now, having our super sensitive coach not letting him run the offense as to not (gasp!) Run up the score is meaningless

Yes. You did say that. I'm just wondering why you're cool with those guys getting reps, but don't care to see the most important position on the team getting reps. Just a very strange argument you're making, but I still like you.

There is really only three games this year where it matters so you are complaining about 30-45 passes against two of the worst defenses in the country (in garbage time) and a FCS team. I never said you figure out everything about a QB in practice, just that those reps in garbage time against those teams don't really teach you anything either.

I said a lot of playing time in blowouts and a series in most/all the rest of game, hence the 75 pass number.

But hey, it will be great when Montez graduates next year and our backups have 50 passes total between them. Good QB development there.

CU desperately needs reps running their O, not some ball control, contrived O that won’t beat Wazzu or Utah later

Mike Leach's offenses were good with those high number of plays per drive. I think that might explain why his offenses have been not only good but consistent.

My thought is that if you come out of this season and do not feel confident that Noyer or Lytle are a long term answer, that might change your approach on how you groom Stenstrom and Evans. Or yes, if Montez ends up taking a look at the NFL, you hit the grad transfer market.

After CU gets bowl eligibility, perhaps we could be seeing Stenstrom play this season unless he's simply not ready? It'd be good to know before hitting the grad market.

Yeah I am going to pass on leaving the first string out there in garbage time, that is a dumb move.
Apparently you missed the point.

Put the BU in with a comfortable lead, but BEFORE true garbage time. That's the whole point. Get him real experience.

You can put the 3rd string in at the end of the 3rd for time burn, but get the backup QB some actual game experience.

I don't understand why you all want to possibly go into next season (on the very small chance Montez goes pro) with a starting QB who has never played a down that matters.

Yes. You did say that. I'm just wondering why you're cool with those guys getting reps, but don't care to see the most important position on the team getting reps. Just a very strange argument you're making, but I still like you.
Haha because when you get those guys reps and you mostly run the ball in the second half you are draining clock, not showing a lot of you offense and not scoring a bunch of points on a team that has already lost.

Listen I get the point about wanting to see more reps for these guys but it isn't THAT big of a deal and people around here make it sound like it is some HUGE missed opportunity and the program is screwed because of it. Seriously, someone in this thread called Mac sensitive because of his view on not running up the score on other teams. It is just way over the top IMO.

Apparently you missed the point.

Put the BU in with a comfortable lead, but BEFORE true garbage time. That's the whole point. Get him real experience.

You can put the 3rd string in at the end of the 3rd for time burn, but get the backup QB some actual game experience.

I don't understand why you all want to possibly go into next season (on the very small chance Montez goes pro) with a starting QB who has never played a down that matters.
Oh I didn't miss the point. You think the head coach wants to throw in a young QB when the team hasn't even pulled away yet? I don't really see that happening.

flat,550x550,075,f.u1.jpg

Back