What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Prime Expectations

You said I trashed the SWAC and the majority of your post that follows proceeds to criticize the SWAC in much greater detail than I could. Thanks for helping make my point.
The SWAC has flaws as I stated but it's not the flaws you are stating.

The speed of the game isn't a flaw of the SWAC. It's on par with any other conference.
You got talented players, you just lack depth, a lot of depth.
QB play is generally really bad but it's not a QB-friendly conference at all.

I don't see any reason to think Sanders will struggle. His pass-blocking OL is average for the SWAC. I have seen 4 teams this year and 8 teams last year have their way of getting to Sanders and dirtying up the pocket and he still operates.

The players that tend to have a massively hard time adjusting are guys like Davius Richard. Where they overpower smaller teams with their size and strength and really aren't that mobile but just big and their accuracy is bad but as long as you are playing smaller teams where they have to stack the box to stop you, he can dominate in ways that wouldn't be possible in the Pac-12 or any P5 and against better G5s.

Shedeur is one of those players who could be better in a conference that fits a lot better. The SWAC is NOT a QB-friendly conference. It's not the Southland, Missouri Valley, or Big Sky. The OLs generally get dominated. Pass blocking is usually poor and the QB has to make plays. For a pocket QB who's not overwhelmingly big, that's not like playing for Incarnate Word or Houston Baptist, having all day in the pocket and dicing teams with undersized small smart WRs who fit your scheme.

If I had to put money on it right now, I would say there are only 4 starters returning next year that started this year.

Van Wells at C
One of: Naim Rodman or Jalen Sami at DT
Tommy Brown at a guard spot
Derek Bedell at Long Snapper lol
Bedell has already left….I thought

Last edited:
Dude, that's a cop out answer.
It’s not, Jens. His criticism of SWAC is more detailed than mine and he knows the league better than I do. Those programs have been historically underfunded. I put a lot of stock in #1 pick’s opinions and I’m surprised at his reaction to my post.

The SWAC has flaws as I stated but it's not the flaws you are stating.

The speed of the game isn't a flaw of the SWAC. It's on par with any other conference.
You got talented players, you just lack depth, a lot of depth.
QB play is generally really bad but it's not a QB-friendly conference at all.

I don't see any reason to think Sanders will struggle. His pass-blocking OL is average for the SWAC. I have seen 4 teams this year and 8 teams last year have their way of getting to Sanders and dirtying up the pocket and he still operates.

The players that tend to have a massively hard time adjusting are guys like Davius Richard. Where they overpower smaller teams with their size and strength and really aren't that mobile but just big and their accuracy is bad but as long as you are playing smaller teams where they have to stack the box to stop you, he can dominate in ways that wouldn't be possible in the Pac-12 or any P5 and against better G5s.

Shedeur is one of those players who could be better in a conference that fits a lot better. The SWAC is NOT a QB-friendly conference. It's not the Southland, Missouri Valley, or Big Sky. The OLs generally get dominated. Pass blocking is usually poor and the QB has to make plays. For a pocket QB who's not overwhelmingly big, that's not like playing for Incarnate Word or Houston Baptist, having all day in the pocket and dicing teams with undersized small smart WRs who fit your scheme.
Thanks for this.

Not to get into the weeds too much but the top third of the teams in both the FCS conferences Big Sky and Missouri Valley would have destroyed JSU in actual games. Sorry, but that’s just a fact. We’ll see how the G5 guys play out.

I’m also factoring in the surprising improvement for a majority of PAC12 teams last year. Next years games are probably going to be pretty fast for a lot of the new Buffs. Next year will be fun and full of hope but we’ll be rockin’ in ‘24. The OOC games get lighter after next year too….
They never played them. You just talking out of your ass. The only game JSU played against a non-HBCU was against LA-Monroe at Monroe and that was a 12-7 game. It was the 2nd game of S. Sanders career with a completely overmatched OL.UL-Monroe is a G5 that beat Liberty that year with NFL QB, Malik Willis.

I need to delete that post.
Thanks. Yes, your response was intended to be to someone else’s post who was talking about the ULM game the other day I believe. No harm no foul. I do value your input here and I’m rowing in the same direction that you are.

You have no argument from me that the Valley, old Southland before the split, and Big Sky, are superior conferences to the SWAC but beating JSU is extremely difficult and the Big Sky teams would struggle with JSU. NDSU would bully JSU. Incarnate Word and JSU would be interesting. The Big Sky's best teams would struggle with JSU and I strongly believe JSU would dominate at least if healthy. The Missouri Valley would be tough for JSU. JSU wasn't a top 7 team for most of the year for no reason. They are legit even with some exploitable flaws.

Thanks. Yes, your response was intended to be to someone else’s post who was talking about the ULM game the other day I believe. No harm no foul. I do value your input here and I’m rowing in the same direction that you are.
The post was for you, just not that particular post. It was about your JSU would get dominated by other foes which I completely disagree with.

The post was for you, just not that particular post. It was about your JSU would get dominated by other foes which I completely disagree with.
Top 3 teams in Big Sky and top 3 in Missouri Valley are pretty stout. Shedeur would give them hell but as you point out, IMO depth and line play would win out in the end. No disrespect to HCBUs at all but look at FAMU’s loss to SE Louisiana in the 2021 FCS playoffs; they both came in with equal W/L records if I’m remembering this right. The lack of proper funding for lots of schools in the SWAC and MEAC has an effect.

Last edited:
It’s not, Jens. His criticism of SWAC is more detailed than mine and he knows the league better than I do. Those programs have been historically underfunded. I put a lot of stock in #1 pick’s opinions and I’m surprised at his reaction to my post.

It is, Pahi. And you are still taring all SWAC players with the same brush, which I think is complete nonsense. #1 also went into detail why he thinks that some positions will have an easier time adjusting to the P12 than others. I think he deserves more than that answer.

Top 3 teams in Big Sky and top 3 in Missouri Valley are pretty stout. Shedeur would give them hell but as you point out, IMO depth and line play would win out in the end. No disrespect to HCBUs at all but look at FAMU’s loss to SE Louisiana in the FCS playoffs; they both came in with equal W/L records if I’m remembering this right. The lack of proper funding for lots of schools in the SWAC and MEAC have an effect.
So is Jackson State.

Jackson State had a lot of depth, that's why they went undefeated before bowl season. Only positions they lacked depth before the bowl was in the offensive line.

Everywhere else, they had enough to beat anyone in the FCS.

Everywhere else, they were a problem

I'll agree with it for now.

If Colorado lands their targets:

QB: Sanders
HB: Edwards or Hankerson, seems like they shut down RB recruitment when Dylan committed.
FB: IDK, will Coach Lewis use a FB, he didn't at Kent State.
TE: Taoure
WR1: ???
WR2: Horn Jr.
Slot: Coleman Jr.
LT: ??? maybe Jatta
LG: Tommy Brown*
C: Wells*
RG: Tyler Brown
RT: Washington

Defense
DT/NT: Sami*
DT: Kneeland
DE: Cokes
LB/EDGE: Alston
LB/EDGE: Grant*
LB: Ham or Mister Williams, maybe Victory Johnson starts as a true freshman
LB: Bentley
CB1: Hunter
CB2: ???
S: Silmon-Craig
S: Shilo or Woods

K: ???
P: ???
KR/PR: ???

Obviously, all of these roles outside of Sheduer are likely up for grabs.
Forgot about Ham/Williams. Good catch. They will likely start as they are P5 quality imo. Grant, I don’t think he’s quite there but if he ends up starting and is the weakest part of the starting defense, that’s a MAJOR upgrade of overall talent on that side of the ball.

It is, Pahi. And you are still taring all SWAC players with the same brush, which I think is complete nonsense. #1 also went into detail why he thinks that some positions will have an easier time adjusting to the P12 than others. I think he deserves more than that answer.
Fair enough. It’s a discussion board. BTW, I do want the Buffs to go 12-0. I’m not a Scrooge but I’m kind of a skeptic sometimes. It happens when you’re older.

I find saying things like, “I can’t see a 6th win” very odd right now. There are likely going to be single digit returning starters, if any, next year.
Maybe, 22 new starters. Totally new O and D! We have zero idea what we have going forward. All I want is a fast paced, high powered, high scoring O. When the D is lacking we outscore people. When that happens, every game is a possible W!

So is Jackson State.

Jackson State had a lot of depth, that's why they went undefeated before bowl season. Only positions they lacked depth before the bowl was in the offensive line.

Everywhere else, they had enough to beat anyone in the FCS.

Everywhere else, they were a problem
JSU was a really good FCS team for the past 2 years and an excellent team this year. No argument from me on that. Shedeur and Hunter have huge potential at the highest level.

If you’ll notice, my opinion on next year is not radically different that that of many posters here. The hope/wish/expectation by a lot of guys seems to land around 6 wins and a bowl game for 2023. I’m right at AT LEAST 4 wins with a very strong lean to a probability of 5. The CU program is being reconstructed from the dregs of nothingness.

To be fair, USC (last year) and MSU (two years ago) basically turned over the entire roster and it worked out for them (in that particular year). We’ll see.

Back