What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Prime Expectations

I think Prime cares about two things when it comes to his employer: keeping promises and letting him do things his way. I truly believe that he left JSU only because JSU broke promises (or maybe just couldn't keep them). It's also possible that he wanted Shedeur, Shilo, and Travis to get P5 exposure.
I think he wants a third thing: the ability to make a difference in young people's lives. I think people underestimate how much Kordell's discussion about CU way back in November/December fits what Prime really wants to accomplish: Boulder is a place where the football players are expected to interact with the rest of the school, and the result is that young black men learn how to interact with a white culture in a generally safe and supportive environment, and that is something that serves them well for the rest of their lives in or out of football.

That doesn't happen in the SEC.

I think he wants a third thing: the ability to make a difference in young people's lives. I think people underestimate how much Kordell's discussion about CU way back in November/December fits what Prime really wants to accomplish: Boulder is a place where the football players are expected to interact with the rest of the school, and the result is that young black men learn how to interact with a white culture in a generally safe and supportive environment, and that is something that serves them well for the rest of their lives in or out of football.

That doesn't happen in the SEC.

You mean Boulder being white asf is a selling point? I've always been told it was a huge recruiting disadvantage.

You mean Boulder being white asf is a selling point? I've always been told it was a huge recruiting disadvantage.
With the right coach, it's a selling point.

We also have a coach who has created another space (Dal Ward & the IPF) outside of their own dorms/apartments where the players don't have to "code switch." Other coaches didn't really create that. I believe it makes it easier to "be black" in Boulder when you have more spaces where you can more comfortably be yourself.

There really isn’t a better city to learn how to interact with upper-middle-class White people than Boulder. The vast majority of college players will never play professional ball and learning to run in the type of circles Boulder produces will help them in their careers. The Lilly White nature of Boulder is a hindrance to recruiting unless you have someone who can foster a safe space for players to be themselves which Prime excels at. From my perspective, having three of the last four head coaches be Black is indicative of someone trying to counteract what can be viewed as a hostile environment for young Black Men.

If you listen to what he says, and the emphasis that he puts on having an impact, I think a lot of what is said above is correct, but we are missing the connection between a few key dots.

CU is a ready made opportunity for him. World class facilities. World class town. P5 conference at a school that he can start from scratch and build it his way, at a school that has given multiple AA coaches an opportunity. A school, with history and tradition, that has won it all in the past. I think these attributes are all obvious, but I think there is potentially a deeper connection beyond this, and I point to his relationship with Kordell Stewart to provide a window into that deeper connection.

Kordell was talking with Prime about how he told him this was God's country. I would bet a large sum that Kordell talked to HCP about how Mac was a man of faith, and how that leadership fit into his experience in Boulder. Prime is clearly a man of deep faith, and he utilizes that faith in every decision and path he takes. When he was talking to Kordell about this, it seemed to hold a deep powerful meaning to him. Why? Because of his mission.

His stated mission in just about every decision he has made over his coaching career seems to be grounded in leading "his people". By his people, I infer people of faith, people from a disadvantaged background that LOVE football, who are looking to use football to better their life. A large portion of the kids/men that fit this description also happen to be largely represented by African Americans. So, why Boulder? Beside all of the ready made, turn key reasons above, Boulder IS lily white and extremely wealthy. If you are a man on a mission to lead "his people", is there not a better environment to help your people grow, mature, and advance, then a safe, rich, educated town that likely represents the most drastically opposite environment from what many of these kids have grown up with?

"Son, come to Boulder and I KNOW it will prepare you for any challenge you will face for the rest of your life. You'll play for championships against the best in the country and we will show you how to become the best FB player you can be. But here's what else you will get from the University of Colorado; a world class education. You will be in one of the safest towns in America, and in this environment, you will largely be surrounded by well educated and wealthy white people. Whether you play in the NFL, or you go on to be an aerospace engineer, or a business leader, who is it that you think you'll largely be interacting with after you leave college? This will be a full life growing opportunity. athletically, spiritually, intellectually & socially. You will leave CU as a young man ready to take on any challenge."

For a man that loves to take on challenges, wants to help people grow while he competes for it all, wants to do it his way, and wants to lead young men in all aspects of life....is there a better place or opportunity than this? This is what I think Kordell and Prime discussed, and IMO, HCP confirmed in his public discussion with Kordell. Separately, I have heard Kordell talk about this very thing (particularly learning to interact with, and be comfortable with white people while he was in Boulder), and I bet this whole life picture and growth opportunity is "Why Boulder"
I’ll just leave this here and pat myself on the back

I’ll just leave this here and pat myself on the back

self-five.gif

Back to Prime:

I do think that all of the people saying "he's gone as soon as the SEC comes calling" don't understand Prime.

They say:

"CU won't be able to match an SEC salary." - he's already made generational wealth for himself and his kids are well on their for themselves. Salary means nothing.

"He'll be able to recruit better." Prime believes he can recruit just fine in Boulder, and it's hard not to argue with the results so far.

"They don't support college football in Colorado." Prime brings the show with him, and Colorado loves a show. I got tickets for a couple of friends and their kids. They're both transplants, not really CU fans, super interested now, for themselves and their boys.

I think Prime cares about two things when it comes to his employer: keeping promises and letting him do things his way. I truly believe that he left JSU only because JSU broke promises (or maybe just couldn't keep them). It's also possible that he wanted Shedeur, Shilo, and Travis to get P5 exposure.

I've said it before: RG's main job as pertains to football is to keep Prime happy. What Prime wants, he gets.

Given that we hold up our end, I truly believe that the biggest reason why Prime would ever leave CU is if(probably more likely when) he believes God is telling him to do something other than coach football.

/Mtn
Given the revenues he’s made and will make the school and surrounding community, he won’t leave for more money.

Given the revenues he’s made and will make the school and surrounding community, he won’t leave for more money.
Two things-I'm sure Prime looks at the new XII and thinks we're going to have success in that conference the minute we walk in the door. That's huge for him. I think he knows he gets a bigger guaranteed spotlight at a place like CU-where he's going to be a really big fish in a really small pond-than he would at some random Big 10 or SEC school. Two, find me another power 5 school that would be willing to give him the kind of control he's got here. Three, he's practically already made Big Noon Kickoff his own personal kickoff show here. We have that show at 3 of our first 5 games, and a Gameday appearance. Patrick Mahomes and Lebron are tweeting about CU. The Rock was wearing a CU jersey on Gameday last week. He doesn't need to leave. Why go? I think he's here as long as he's healthy enough to coach honestly.

Last edited:
If we lose Prime to other schools because of money, I'm gonna be so mad at CU. He might leave because of 1000 other reasons, but money should not be one of them.

If we lose Prime to other schools because of money, I'm gonna be so mad at CU. He might leave because of 1000 other reasons, but money should not be one of them.
How much are you contributing? A 2nd mortgage should be fine with your wife if shes reasonable.

Back