What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Prioritize your staff changes for 2022

Best recent OL I remember was the year under Hawk when we played all those freshmen. That was Grimes' last season here, which shows what an impact a great OL Coach can make.
I'd love to get Grimes back here as an OC. Too bad **** bailer won today.

Agreed. RG isn’t going anywhere and I personally don’t think he should. Outside of KD’s contract, he’s been solid IMHO. KD isn’t going anywhere because of said contract and with all the changes happening in other HC jobs around the country, should be able to sell stability on some level. But these things must happen…

1) OC - Has to be someone with full authority over the offense. Not implementing KD’s offense.
2) OL - Has to be someone with a track record of development and recruiting.
3) QB - Has to be someone perfectly aligned with the new OC who has a track record to recruit and develop the most important position.
4) Keep Hagan. Let the rest go. Fill the spots with young, hungry recruiters eager to make their mark.
5) Recruiting coordinator - this whole area needs an influx of cash and fresh vision.

I like the D under Wilson.
I love the new S&C coach.
Make KD the CEO and have him specialize in closing when it comes to recruiting.
RG has done nothing positive other than get the Champions Center done and hire Mel, but losing Mel sort of negated that. Not a single thing otherwise.

1)yes
2)yes
3)Has to be the OC, period.
4)don't care about Hagan - he's lazy a.f.
5) $$$

I hate the D under Wilson. Wait until he loses like 7 starters from this year's team and see how ass his D is. But he gets another year but mark my words.
Not sure Turley is even putting forth effort, how can you love him? Loved what he did at Stanford but our OL got pushed around this year.
Have you seen KD close? Recruit? Low energy man.

RG has done nothing positive other than get the Champions Center done and hire Mel, but losing Mel sort of negated that. Not a single thing otherwise.

1)yes
2)yes
5) $$$

I hate the D under Wilson. Wait until he loses like 7 starters from this year's team and see how ass his D is. But he gets another year but mark my words.
Not sure Turley is even putting forth effort, how can you love him? Loved what he did at Stanford but our OL got pushed around this year.
Offensive improvement can only help the D. If the offense can do novel stuff like get first downs, then the defense will be better. Too many losses had them breaking because of the offense's incompetence.

Defense wins championships but its awfully hard to win when you can't score.

If Chev is on this staff in 2022, in any capacity, unless he absolutely goes on a recruiting rampage, I think I’m done. We need to cut bait on him. He’s not a good WR coach, and he’s a horrible OC. Period.
My “informed” speculation: Chev is not well liked within the locker room, and we might lose a number of good players if he stays. Clearly, we can’t afford to lose any portion of the thin pool of good players we have.

Of course, the most important thing is, he sucks historically badly as OC. No way an OC in charge of the worst offense since the 1970’s can stay.

Shinseto1

OP·6h

Rod SUCKED. Everyone laughed at him. He was a ****ing high school coach who got lost. He was awful. Coached like a high school coach. Had no memory even to learn everyone’s name up till the day he left. Actively didn’t want to go to practice or put in work. Always joked about how he could get out of ****. Didn’t go to meetings. Couldnt coach. The guy was disabled. And that doesn’t include a lot of the things he’s say to players…but I can’t go into that 80%, he took all joy from the oline but once he left. Nothing changed technique wise. They just liked football again and cared. So they played way better

Matthew-McConaughey.gif

1)yes
2)yes
5) $$$

I get the frustration. However, Turley hasn’t been here a year yet. Give him some time. Wilson has the track record to be successful and did a fair job this year with literally no offensive help and a ton of injuries. I don’t know why you think Hagan is lazy. He recruits and develops good RB’s. He’s solid not spectacular and you can’t just fire everyone. I have no idea how KD is when he gets into the living room but the fact that he didn’t lose this team after the year he had says something about his ability to connect to kids. You may not like his energy but the team seems bought in. (Of course, I’ll have to eat my words if there’s a ton of transfers…)

RG has done a good job raising money, building support, upgrading facilities. He’s also done a fair job hiring good coaches for every sport except football though Tucker was a great hire. I think the loss of Tucker has a lot to do with the lack of institutional support at CU so I admittedly give him a bit of a pass there for not being able to compete with the money MSU was throwing at him. Again, the KD contract was bad so that’s a black mark. He has something to prove moving forward for sure and all AD’s ultimately - and should - get judged on the football product.

I get the frustration. However, Turley hasn’t been here a year yet. Give him some time. Wilson has the track record to be successful and did a fair job this year with literally no offensive help and a ton of injuries. I don’t know why you think Hagan is lazy. He recruits and develops good RB’s. He’s solid not spectacular and you can’t just fire everyone. I have no idea how KD is when he gets into the living room but the fact that he didn’t lose this team after the year he had says something about his ability to connect to kids. You may not like his energy but the team seems bought in. (Of course, I’ll have to eat my words if there’s a ton of transfers…)

RG has done a good job raising money, building support, upgrading facilities. He’s also done a fair job hiring good coaches for every sport except football though Tucker was a great hire. I think the loss of Tucker has a lot to do with the lack of institutional support at CU so I admittedly give him a bit of a pass there for not being able to compete with the money MSU was throwing at him. Again, the KD contract was bad so that’s a black mark. He has something to prove moving forward for sure and all AD’s ultimately - and should - get judged on the football product.
RG, welcome to the board

I could be wrong, but I think part of the ADs job is to negotiate that institutional support with the school. Make a case for why it’s important.

I am all out of gas on this. Unless and until the admin. understands that NOBODY thinks CU is anything other than a regional University, staff changes won't mean much. It astounds me the most visible thing the University does is an embarrassment and the admin remains unfazed. I mean, who goes to their doctor and sees an old toilet stored in the waiting room? Football is the front porch of any major University, why let it be a joke?

HCKD is not the answer, but because our AD has saddled the Dept. with his ridiculous contract, he likely has to stay. So, get a quality OC that knows how to make an offense work with the talent on hand. Fire every AC who is not recruiting until they succeed. That is the only way CU gets relevant again. The path out of the basement is a staircase called recruiting. Do it.

OC is the obvious choice. Brian Howell was talking about how Chev has to go after the Utah game...no way he can stay after this historically bad performance. If we had a functional offense we MAY have been bowl eligible.

Agreed. RG isn’t going anywhere and I personally don’t think he should. Outside of KD’s contract, he’s been solid IMHO. KD isn’t going anywhere because of said contract and with all the changes happening in other HC jobs around the country, should be able to sell stability on some level. But these things must happen…

1) OC - Has to be someone with full authority over the offense. Not implementing KD’s offense.
2) OL - Has to be someone with a track record of development and recruiting.
3) QB - Has to be someone perfectly aligned with the new OC who has a track record to recruit and develop the most important position.
4) Keep Hagan. Let the rest go. Fill the spots with young, hungry recruiters eager to make their mark.
5) Recruiting coordinator - this whole area needs an influx of cash and fresh vision.

I like the D under Wilson.
I love the new S&C coach.
Make KD the CEO and have him specialize in closing when it comes to recruiting.
Hagan needs to go as well. His time has passed

1)yes
2)yes
5) $$$

sound like trump

I am all out of gas on this. Unless and until the admin. understands that NOBODY thinks CU is anything other than a regional University, staff changes won't mean much. It astounds me the most visible thing the University does is an embarrassment and the admin remains unfazed. I mean, who goes to their doctor and sees an old toilet stored in the waiting room? Football is the front porch of any major University, why let it be a joke?

HCKD is not the answer, but because our AD has saddled the Dept. with his ridiculous contract, he likely has to stay. So, get a quality OC that knows how to make an offense work with the talent on hand. Fire every AC who is not recruiting until they succeed. That is the only way CU gets relevant again. The path out of the basement is a staircase called recruiting. Do it.
The admin is unfazed because they sit on this pedastal thinking they are an elite academic institution. Those who think that way look down at the football program as some kind of neanderthal event that is well beneath them.

No amount linguistic gymnastics changes the facts of the real world.

RG and KD have already been judged by what their real world record says they are: losers.

1. Offensive Coordinator
2. OL Coach
----------------
3. QB and/or WR Coach - driven by what position the new OC coaches

I'd like to go beyond this, but those are my changes that are absolutely essential if we're going to have reason to have any hope next year.

Ok, now with #1 happening I am willing to give this thought exercise a try.

1. OC with experience and a track record of success with a modern, non-Air Raid offense. I like Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa, Michigan, Oregon, Utah, style offenses that are built with a focus on a dominant OL and allow an average QB to be successful. I am not ready to to believe that CU can recruit blue chip QBs since it has been since 1992. Many of these schools successfully recruit veteren transfer QBs year-after-year. I don’t think this has to be the QB coach given my preference for the offense, but it does seem to be the most common setup.

2. Recruiting Coordinator that also coaches RB or TE or WR. Most championship caliber teams seed those position coaches with ace recruiters. I like Hagan as a RB coach but he doesn’t recruit enough.

3. OL coach that is experienced and fits like a glove in offensive philosophy with the OC.

4. TE coach that is focused on recruiting, recruiting, recruiting! For god’s sake there are 11 or so scholarship TE’s on the team and only one has been developed and even that development happened under previous TE coaches.

I am not a Langsdorf fan perse but Lewis improved pretty dramatically from game 1 to the final game. I didn’t see another single player on offense that showed improvement this season. I adamantly do not want Langsdorf as the OC, I’d absolutely prefer he move on down the road instead.

Ok, now with #1 happening I am willing to give this thought exercise a try.

1. OC with experience and a track record of success with a modern, non-Air Raid offense. I like Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa, Michigan, Oregon, Utah, style offenses that are built with a focus on a dominant OL and allow an average QB to be successful. I am not ready to to believe that CU can recruit blue chip QBs since it has been since 1992. Many of these schools successfully recruit veteren transfer QBs year-after-year. I don’t think this has to be the QB coach given my preference for the offense, but it does seem to be the most common setup.

2. Recruiting Coordinator that also coaches RB or TE or WR. Most championship caliber teams seed those position coaches with ace recruiters. I like Hagan as a RB coach but he doesn’t recruit enough.

3. OL coach that is experienced and fits like a glove in offensive philosophy with the OC.

4. TE coach that is focused on recruiting, recruiting, recruiting! For god’s sake there are 11 or so scholarship TE’s on the team and only one has been developed and even that development happened under previous TE coaches.

I am not a Langsdorf fan perse but Lewis improved pretty dramatically from game 1 to the final game. I didn’t see another single player on offense that showed improvement this season. I adamantly do not want Langsdorf as the OC, I’d absolutely prefer he move on down the road instead.
Did Lewis really improve dramatically over the season? His best games were sandwiched mid-season against Arizona and the Oregon schools and his last game against Utah may have been his worst of the season.

Back