What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Prioritize your staff changes for 2022

Did Lewis really improve dramatically over the season? His best games were sandwiched mid-season against Arizona and the Oregon schools and his last game against Utah may have been his worst of the season.
Not a lot of statistical difference between the first 6 games & the last 6. 1 more INT the 1st half, a bit lower completion %, about 50 fewer passing yards, and a lot more rushing yards. If not for the "lipstick on a pig" 4th quarter when getting blown out at Oregon, the 1st half of the season was marginally better.

Not a lot of statistical difference between the first 6 games & the last 6. 1 more INT the 1st half, a bit lower completion %, about 50 fewer passing yards, and a lot more rushing yards. If not for the "lipstick on a pig" 4th quarter when getting blown out at Oregon, the 1st half of the season was marginally better.

Watch Lewis against Minnesota and then against Utah and tell me which QB you’d rather have.

To say that he was a better QB against Minnesota than against Utah is at best just willfull ignorance.
His two worst games of the season were Minnesota and Utah, one early and one at the end, so what improved?

Here’s another way to look at it - break the season into thirds:

Game 1-4:
52% comp.
1/1 TD:INT
4.28 Y/A
93.23 rating

Game 5-8:
65% comp.
6/2 TD:INT
8.17 Y/A
148.03 rating

Game 9-12:
56% comp.
3/0 TD:INT
5.34 Y/A
110.78 rating

He improved some mid-season then regressed as the season came to a close finishing with a complete stinker at Utah. His last 4 games (which included the Oregon State win) were below his season average in nearly every statistical category. He was baaad late. What dramatic improvement did you see?

Watch Lewis against Minnesota and then against Utah and tell me which QB you’d rather have.
I agree that he gained more confidence and "alpha dog" demeanor as he gained game snaps. But he does that if you or I are the QB coach.

He never stopped locking on to a receiver from the snap, never stopped playing afraid of making a mistake (often patting the ball before risking release late), never started going through read progressions or making presnap reads/adjustments.

I'm not down on Lewis. I think Langsdorf failed at his job - not having him close to ready to start the season & then not developing him. Langsdorf is pretty good if you're going to play a pro style statue of a QB (he coached that well at Oregon State), but the game with modern offense (zone read, RPO, etc) has passed him by.

Contract is up. Absolutely no reason to renew.

I agree that he gained more confidence and "alpha dog" demeanor as he gained game snaps. But he does that if you or I are the QB coach.

He never stopped locking on to a receiver from the snap, never stopped playing afraid of making a mistake (often patting the ball before risking release late), never started going through read progressions or making presnap reads/adjustments.

I'm not down on Lewis. I think Langsdorf failed at his job - not having him close to ready to start the season & then not developing him. Langsdorf is pretty good if you're going to play a pro style statue of a QB (he coached that well at Oregon State), but the game with modern offense (zone read, RPO, etc) has passed him by.

Contract is up. Absolutely no reason to renew.
Speaking of not renewing contracts…when would KD announce something like that? When are said contracts up? Is there a financial penalty to letting them go early? I’m just wondering here if we’re going to hear more news about staff changes or if it’s just Chev since he was the one under contract for next year. (I’m assuming KD makes no changes on the defensive side of the ball.) I still think KD needs to be able to talk about the future and who’s going to be potentially coaching these kids if he’s going to be successful recruiting them. Impossible to recruit to an unknown I would think.

Speaking of not renewing contracts…when would KD announce something like that? When are said contracts up? Is there a financial penalty to letting them go early? I’m just wondering here if we’re going to hear more news about staff changes or if it’s just Chev since he was the one under contract for next year. (I’m assuming KD makes no changes on the defensive side of the ball.) I still think KD needs to be able to talk about the future and who’s going to be potentially coaching these kids if he’s going to be successful recruiting them. Impossible to recruit to an unknown I would think.
January. No penalty. Would just be paying 2 guys for the same job for up to a month if we made a quick hire. Not like CU is quick about finalizing contracts anyway, though.

It will be an interesting couple of months. Unless the OC has a stellar record from a winning P5 school or from NFL. Most folks will question the hire. Doesn’t much matter who it is.
I hope whoever is hired has a thick skin.

January. No penalty. Would just be paying 2 guys for the same job for up to a month if we made a quick hire. Not like CU is quick about finalizing contracts anyway, though.
At this point would the right thing to do be bring in the new OC and let him pick who he wants on the offensive side? Doesn't seem like it would be good to 1. Have no offense staff going into signing day (not that we really have any must keep recruits) 2. Force an entire group on a new OC

I am all out of gas on this. Unless and until the admin. understands that NOBODY thinks CU is anything other than a regional University, staff changes won't mean much. It astounds me the most visible thing the University does is an embarrassment and the admin remains unfazed. I mean, who goes to their doctor and sees an old toilet stored in the waiting room? Football is the front porch of any major University, why let it be a joke?

HCKD is not the answer, but because our AD has saddled the Dept. with his ridiculous contract, he likely has to stay. So, get a quality OC that knows how to make an offense work with the talent on hand. Fire every AC who is not recruiting until they succeed. That is the only way CU gets relevant again. The path out of the basement is a staircase called recruiting. Do it.
The admin is unfazed because they sit on this pedastal thinking they are an elite academic institution. Those who think that way look down at the football program as some kind of neanderthal event that is well beneath them.

CU doesnt need football anymore to attract kids from other states like it used to.

The admin is unfazed because they sit on this pedastal thinking they are an elite academic institution. Those who think that way look down at the football program as some kind of neanderthal event that is well beneath them.
One of the reasons I fell in love with CU was the quality of kids in the football program. They were a caliber above guys I met at OU and other state schools I attended. Football can be a catalyst for providing first generation college to families and then generational wealth and experience to a few. A football program managed correctly can be a lot more than dumb jocks at an institution like CU. The right person at the helm can sell that message to the academics and at least reach a level of mutual accommodation and understanding.
CU could thrive without football, or sports. I would argue it shouldn’t.

Back