What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

QB Logjam

It is not about rotating players. When you go into every season with the backup QB(s) having 50ish snaps total, the starting QB is never in danger and you have to rely on him staying healthy. Of course, the first go-to excuse if that starter gets injured is the inexperience of the backup QB. It is a bad cycle.

You cannot just give Montez most/all the reps in practice and then most/all the snaps in games. You need to play the backups (or at least one) here and there to develop depth.
It’s a thin line I believe. A team in trouble this year with QB inexperience is WSU losing both Faulk and Helsinki. They were definitely grooming Helsinki to be the starter. Should be interesting up there in Pullman.

See I agree with rotating other positional players to get them play time, but not at QB with our current situation. We maaaaybe had couple games with enough of a lead to maybe get a back up some snaps but overall Montez needs every snap he can get.
What I'd like to see MM be willing to do is to give our QB2 a series in the 2nd or 3rd quarter some times. Like, it wouldn't be the worst thing if there was one scripted series of plays every week that Lytle or Noyer drilled with Nixon, Brown and Bell that they could come in and run. Could be just 3 plays and then they get subbed out even if they hit a long gain or get a first down. That experience would be huge for them.

What I'd like to see MM be willing to do is to give our QB2 a series in the 2nd or 3rd quarter some times. Like, it wouldn't be the worst thing if there was one scripted series of plays every week that Lytle or Noyer drilled with Nixon, Brown and Bell that they could come in and run. Could be just 3 plays and then they get subbed out even if they hit a long gain or get a first down. That experience would be huge for them.
That sounds good in theory, but it's just not reality. Name a team that has actually done that in the past, where it wasn't a rotation kind of thing due to very different styles of QB play. I would say the only game it has a chance of happening in would be New Hampshire, assuming it's like 21-0 in the 2nd quarter. That would never happen in Pac 12 play, short of an early blowout.

That sounds good in theory, but it's just not reality. Name a team that has actually done that in the past, where it wasn't a rotation kind of thing due to very different styles of QB play. I would say the only game it has a chance of happening in would be New Hampshire, assuming it's like 21-0 in the 2nd quarter. That would never happen in Pac 12 play, short of an early blowout.
Which is fine.

It is not about rotating players. When you go into every season with the backup QB(s) having 50ish snaps total, the starting QB is never in danger and you have to rely on him staying healthy. Of course, the first go-to excuse if that starter gets injured is the inexperience of the backup QB. It is a bad cycle.

You cannot just give Montez most/all the reps in practice and then most/all the snaps in games. You need to play the backups (or at least one) here and there to develop depth.
Agreed with practice snaps. I think we are on the same page as far as this goes. MM will have far more talent this year so I will be looking for more rotation on the Dline and Oline. If sherman doesn't make the starting lineup, thats someone I want to see swinging around the line. Rotation in the trenches will be key this year imo

I agree that it’s not realistic to have a backup come in during a critical point in the game. However, MM has shown a great deal of reluctance to even bring in a backup in garbage time. The 2016 CSU game comes to mind. Sefo should have sat the entire fourth quarter. I can’t remember if he ever came out at all.

I disagree with this. I think flow and momentum are huge for offenses, especially one that has yet to find its stride with Montez at the helm. I'm in favor of QB2 getting some practice snaps and 4th quarter mop up duty but 2nd and 3rd quarter is too pivotal. If MM tosses in QB2 in the second quarter and they toss a pick or fumble or go 3 and out, he looks like a complete fool and kills any momentum the team had.

Ok, so you're basically saying the backups should get scripted reps in the 2nd quarter of a blowout?
Yep. Have them prepared and confident with something. I agree that the only way you risk disrupting things otherwise is if you have a unique talent at QB who isn't ready to take the reins but can bring a very different type style to mess with the defense like what Florida had with Tebow his freshman year (when he basically came in and ran wildcat with some jump passes mixed in). Otherwise, there's too much that can go on that disrupts rhythm for the starters, risks penalties and bad snaps with an OL that isn't used to the QB calling the cadence, etc.

Up 21 with D in control, QB2 gets last series of 3Q and 4Q. QB2 gets last series of game.

Run the offense. They aren’t in there to run out the clock.

New Hsmpshire seems like perfect time for snaps early.

Same plan where Buffs getting blown out but start second series in 4Q.

Several things here-One, we need to expect to blowout little brother. That game last year should have been 31-3 AT LEAST, and the silly conspiracy against the goats should not have even been a story. Two, QB and other positions are two different conversations. I'm not going to be critical of MM and the offensive staff for not playing musical quarterbacks. That's silly. OTOH, the staff's bizarre refusal to not get more reps for Shenault, Winfree, and Nixon (who were better than last year's crop of WRs IMO) should be questioned.

Several things here-One, we need to expect to blowout little brother. That game last year should have been 31-3 AT LEAST, and the silly conspiracy against the goats should not have even been a story. Two, QB and other positions are two different conversations. I'm not going to be critical of MM and the offensive staff for not playing musical quarterbacks. That's silly. OTOH, the staff's bizarre refusal to not get more reps for Shenault, Winfree, and Nixon (who were better than last year's crop of WRs IMO) should be questioned.

I found it odd that jay macintire got so many reps against the bottom feeders and juwann winfree got no snaps until conference play started.

IMO my rule of thumb would be that if you ahead of ANY opponent by 21 or more with 8 minutes or less to go in the game, the #2 QB finishes the game, no questions asked. Not rocket science.....

Up 21 with D in control, QB2 gets last series of 3Q and 4Q. QB2 gets last series of game.

Even if it is mostly run out the clock it has value.

You cannot simulate game speed and environment in practice. Having the play call coming in, having substitutions coming in on both sides, having the noise of the crowd, having the play clock. You just can't do that completely in practice. I've seen QBs get delays of game in garbage time, much better at that point then to get them when coming in because the starter turned an ankle and is out for a few plays or more.

Some of it does come back to the coaches lacking confidence to finish a game when up by more than two scores. If we are up by 17 in the 3rd against USC I can understand the concern but if we are up by 17 against an FCS school or even the sheep near the end of the 3rd the game better d**** well be over or we have the wrong coaches.

I don't know what the percentages are but I do know that you can't count on your starting QB making it through a year without missing game time due to injury. Not having a back-up ready and comfortable to come in is a coaching failure. That only can happen if that back-up gets some real time in a game running the offense.

This is the most important part. I don't care what the score is or how much time is left in the game. If the backups are going to be put into the game, they need to run the offense, throw passes, etc. Otherwise, the "experience" is meaningless.

If the Evans commitment sticks we're going to need some attrition at the QB position. 5 scholarship QBs is unnecessary.

Losing a QB who is one of five guys because he may never see the field is a much better spot to be in than having two seniors and a true Freshman as your choices at QB (the situation MM inherited).

QB recruiting is one thing we shouldn’t be bitching about.

In an ideal world where Montez balls out, CU wins a bunch and he decides to go pro, do you believe there would still be more attrition beyond him?
If someone younger wins the job over someone older, it almost always leads to QB attrition these days

I think no matter how this season turns out, the odds of there being three QBs versus four QBs after next spring are roughly equal. Remember that Evans is an early enrollee.

I think no matter how this season turns out, the odds of there being three QBs versus four QBs after next spring are roughly equal. Remember that Evans is an early enrollee.
If you had to guess right now, what would you say the QB roster/depth chart looks like after the Spring of 2019?

At least there is good competition at QB. I remember attending the 2016 spring scrimmage at Folsom, when Sefo's French-sounding broken foot status was completely uncertain. There I learned the breaking news that the graduate transfer Webb dude who had verbally committed to the Buffs and was going to be a great one year rental said he was visiting Cal. (Doh!) Buffs were faced with the realistic prospect of starting a QB (Montez) who had never taken a snap. Things got better that season, though....

Missouri did it with Chase Daniels

I found it odd that jay macintire got so many reps against the bottom feeders and juwann winfree got no snaps until conference play started.
Probably has to do with while they both play WR, they play different WR positions. Jay is a very very good slot receiver. Winfree should have been getting more reps over Bobo or Fields.

Back