What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

QB Logjam

BuffaloB

Nice situation to have, best guesses on how this will all play out? Does one of them transfer at some point? Thinking that Montez having a good enough season to declare for draft would help.

Montez, Lytle, Stenstrom and now Evans, with 3 of them being Sophomores or younger in 2019.

Nice situation to have, best guesses on how this will all play out? Does one of them transfer at some point? Thinking that Montez having a good enough season to declare for draft would help.

Montez, Lytle, Stenstrom and now Evans, with 3 of them being Sophomores or younger in 2019.
No love for Noyer? He use still a bit of an unknown. I know he saw some duty last year, but we know from watching Montez when Sefo got hurt vs Mich that Mac doesn't prepare the back up very well.

No love for Noyer? He use still a bit of an unknown. I know he saw some duty last year, but we know from watching Montez when Sefo got hurt vs Mich that Mac doesn't prepare the back up very well.
Mac or His former OC. Since, you know, that’s his job.

Ah yes, the HC has absolutely no input at all on when to play backups. He is just a bystander during games.
Since he is a defense guy, I bet you dollars to doughnuts he left that up to him. And probably will do the same with Chev.

Since he is a defense guy, I bet you dollars to doughnuts he left that up to him. And probably will do the same with Chev.

The HC can and should step in for extreme situations (see: CSU 2016). If his QB gets injured playing meaningless snaps, MM does not just get to throw his hands in the air and say "well, you'll have to blame my OC for that one."

The HC can and should step in for extreme situations (see: CSU 2016). If his QB gets injured playing meaningless snaps, MM does not just get to throw his hands in the air and say "well, you'll have to blame my OC for that one."
Edited to add more. Yes, his OC should have a clear plan. Obviously Brian did not.

Extreme, yes. Like Alabama in the NC. But not in week 8 vs OSU or some such. There is a reason you put guys in charge of the offense and defense.

The main issue we are talking about is the backup QBs never playing much outside of injury. If you never address the problem year over year, that is on the HC.

And extreme for Alabama is the NC, but for CU it may in fact be in Week 8 against Oregon State or the like, unless you think CU is so good that we can just afford to withstand ****ty QB play just for the hell of it.

The main issue we are talking about is the backup QBs never playing much outside of injury. If you never address the problem year over year, that is on the HC.

And extreme for Alabama is the NC, but for CU it may in fact be in Week 8 against Oregon State or the like, unless you think CU is so good that we can just afford to withstand ****ty QB play just for the hell of it.
No, I’m saying that this OC seems competent enough to know when to pull a QB for ineffectiveness and/or blow out.

No, I’m saying that this OC seems competent enough to know when to pull a QB for ineffectiveness and/or blow out.

And if he does not... does MM get to continue to avoid having to overrule anybody on the decision?

And if he does not... does MM get to continue to avoid having to overrule anybody on the decision?
I have no idea of how he has structured his staff and if he stays hands off with the offense. He seemed to place a lot of trust in Brian. We will see.

Lol what? The Head Coach absolutely has full and complete authority over both offense and defense, regardless of his background. There may be situations in some programs where a defensive head coach hires a very good, seasoned OC who has full control over personnel, playcalling, strategy, etc. but Brian Lindgren is not part of that group. It has definitely been Mac's decision to leave Sefo and Montez in the game far longer than they should have and not give the backups those reps.

I will say this about these kinds of decisions: When a coach is not very confident in the team's ability to close out a game, or are worried that one or two big mistakes could make a blowout a close game, coaches will general err on the side of leaving their starters (at any position) in the game longer than they should, rather than pulling them too soon. The absolute last thing you want to have happen is to pull your starters, get them comfortable on the sideline and out of the playing state of mind, and then have to reinsert them back into the game when plays need to be made to close it out and the other team has the momentum.

Lol what? The Head Coach absolutely has full and complete authority over both offense and defense, regardless of his background. There may be situations in some programs where a defensive head coach hires a very good, seasoned OC who has full control over personnel, playcalling, strategy, etc. but Brian Lindgren is not part of that group. It has definitely been Mac's decision to leave Sefo and Montez in the game far longer than they should have and not give the backups those reps.

I will say this about these kinds of decisions: When a coach is not very confident in the team's ability to close out a game, or are worried that one or two big mistakes could make a blowout a close game, coaches will general err on the side of leaving their starters (at any position) in the game longer than they should, rather than pulling them too soon. The absolute last thing you want to have happen is to pull your starters, get them comfortable on the sideline and out of the playing state of mind, and then have to reinsert them back into the game when plays need to be made to close it out and the other team has the momentum.
Your last paragraph probably is the explanation more than anything.

Since mm is the one who hired brian lindgren and kept him far too long, im not sure why mm doesnt deserve the blame for the backup not being prepared regardless of whether he delegated the bl or not.

Since mm is the one who hired brian lindgren and kept him far too long, im not sure why mm doesnt deserve the blame for the backup not being prepared regardless of whether he delegated the bl or not.
Maybe because he felt the starter wasn’t good enough and needed the reps? Who knows.

Ah yes, the HC has absolutely no input at all on when to play backups. He is just a bystander during games.
Yea but I highly doubt MM is involved with week to week preperation of the back up QB. Lol did mm slight you at some point? You seem to have it out for him

This becomes an issue when you have unquestioned starters. Every single position should be up for competition every single week. If the starter is unable to be the best in film, practice, on the sidelines, and in the game, the coaches need to motivate him to step up his game. If he becomes complacent, then it is the job of the coaches to have the understudies ready to become the leading man.

Yea but I highly doubt MM is involved with week to week preperation of the back up QB. Lol did mm slight you at some point? You seem to have it out for him

I just want to win football games. MM seems to make some curious decisions which prevent consistency from year to year.

If you do not want to see more 5-7 type "step back" seasons, the backups need to play more. Probably a lot more.

Has anybody ever asked why backups get so few snaps in game time, or has it all been wild speculation in our part?

Has anybody ever asked why backups get so few snaps in game time, or has it all been wild speculation in our part?
Unless you're part of the program, who is going to get an honest answer when asking this question? No coach is ever going to admit their decision to leave someone in the game too long or pull someone too soon, etc was a bad idea.

I just want to win football games. MM seems to make some curious decisions which prevent consistency from year to year.

If you do not want to see more 5-7 type "step back" seasons, the backups need to play more. Probably a lot more.
Maybe it will change this year. MM seems to be growing as a HC in other ways. Maybe he learned something about playing depth to build depth after last season. The lack of PT for Winfree, Shenault and Nixon was a lot more egregious than the lack of game reps for Noyer imo.

It becomes self-perpetuating. You don't get back-ups experience meaning that when injury or other problems happen you don't have a guy ready to step up. Because of that you struggle and don't get comfortable enough to play and prepare your depth guys meaning the next time something happens the failure repeats.

When you see successful programs overcome injuries, suspensions, etc. it isn't by accident.

Ultimately that all comes down to the decisions made or approved by the head coach. We have not done a good job with it.

Maybe it will change this year. MM seems to be growing as a HC in other ways. Maybe he learned something about playing depth to build depth after last season. The lack of PT for Winfree, Shenault and Nixon was a lot more egregious than the lack of game reps for Noyer imo.

There are a lot of positions that could have benefitted from backups playing more, obviously more or less depending on the individual players. It needs to happen in 2018.

See I agree with rotating other positional players to get them play time, but not at QB with our current situation. We maaaaybe had couple games with enough of a lead to maybe get a back up some snaps but overall Montez needs every snap he can get.

Unless you're part of the program, who is going to get an honest answer when asking this question? No coach is ever going to admit their decision to leave someone in the game too long or pull someone too soon, etc was a bad idea.
I’m not asking for him to admit it’s a bad idea. I figure he has his reasons and I’d be interested in knowing what those reasons are. Seems like a reasonable question to me.

See I agree with rotating other positional players to get them play time, but not at QB with our current situation. We maaaaybe had couple games with enough of a lead to maybe get a back up some snaps but overall Montez needs every snap he can get.

It is not about rotating players. When you go into every season with the backup QB(s) having 50ish snaps total, the starting QB is never in danger and you have to rely on him staying healthy. Of course, the first go-to excuse if that starter gets injured is the inexperience of the backup QB. It is a bad cycle.

You cannot just give Montez most/all the reps in practice and then most/all the snaps in games. You need to play the backups (or at least one) here and there to develop depth.

There are a lot of positions that could have benefitted from backups playing more, obviously more or less depending on the individual players. It needs to happen in 2018.
Agreed. Let's hope it was mostly a matter of those 2014-2015 classes needing time to develop and they were more talented than we thought at the time they were recruited. 2016 and especially 2017 look like the future of this program and they were kids last season. Got to hope that those 2014-2015 guys are physically developed, mature vets at this point and that the 2016-2017 guys are now ready to push for more PT along with some 2018 recruits able to come in and force their way into the 2-deep.

One position group where this is the biggest question mark is on the DL.

Are Javier and Mulumba now able to be reliable starters with a year under their belts?

Can Franke, Tui and Roberts provide more effective snaps than last year?

Will guys like Mustafa, Sami, Lang and Antwine force their way up the depth chart?

We really need that to be a rotation of 6-8 effective players on the DL. Last year, we couldn't count to 3.

Back