What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

QB Logjam

I think that the assumption Montez needs to win a QB competition is funny. MacIntyre hasn’t shown any propensity to create much offensive competition for any position. Montez is the starter save for injury. That’s the problem.

Montez isn't being pushed much, from what I can tell. It seems like Montez has to worry about Montez. He could cause himself to lose the job, but no one is capable of taking it from him.

Montez isn't being pushed much, from what I can tell. It seems like Montez has to worry about Montez. He could cause himself to lose the job, but no one is capable of taking it from him.

I think that is the whole issue though. The starting QB never seems to be in danger of losing the starting job under MM, yet supposedly QB recruiting is going well. There is a disconnect there.

Last edited:
I think that is the whole issue though. The starting QB never seems to be in danger of losing the starting job under, yet supposedly QB recruiting is going well. There is a disconnect there.
This is the year that will be telling, IMO. In previous years under MM was there ever a backup capable of pushing the starter? Montez was never going to outperform and beat out Sefo on a consistent basis. Last year, I think the same could have been said about Noyer, and Lytle wasn’t going to have his RS burned. With Lytle now in his 2nd year, I would expect there to be some competition. Time will tell if this is the case, though.

This is the year that will be telling, IMO. In previous years under MM was there ever a backup capable of pushing the starter? Montez was never going to outperform and beat out Sefo on a consistent basis. Last year, I think the same could have been said about Noyer, and Lytle wasn’t going to have his RS burned. With Lytle now in his 2nd year, I would expect there to be some competition. Time will tell if this is the case, though.

Sounds nice in theory.

Agreed, but do you disagree about years prior? I just don’t know if legitimate competition was even capable of being had at QB to this point.

I think that is mostly true, but the default to the starting QB was still too strong IMO. Throwing Sefo back into the Pac-12 Championship game was an abject disaster.

I know I have talked in extremes in this thread, as have others, but what about the middle ground (more likely) scenarios? If the team goes 6-6/7-5 and Montez is improved but somewhat inconsistent... do we really believe MM would open up the QB competition for 2019?

Hoping that the offensive coaching changes might ease concerns about 2018 Montez getting the Sefo treatment that has limited the experience of backup QBs over the years.

I want to believe that this 2018 staff will have the wisdom to play the QB that gives CU the best chance to win under whichever situation. It’s their butts in the hot seat.

Should CU start 2-2 or 1-3, it could make for a very long season if bowl elegibilty is placed squarely on Montez’s shoulders all season long.

I’m hoping Montez gets pushed in August, and whomever ends up takes snaps gets CU off to a fast start. May the best man win the job and may the next man up be just as prepared as the starter.

Hoping that the offensive coaching changes might ease concerns about 2018 Montez getting the Sefo treatment that has limited the experience of backup QBs over the years.

I want to believe that this 2018 staff will have the wisdom to play the QB that gives CU the best chance to win under whichever situation. It’s their butts in the hot seat.

Should CU start 2-2 or 1-3, it could make for a very long season if bowl elegibilty is placed squarely on Montez’s shoulders all season long.

I’m hoping Montez gets pushed in August, and whomever ends up takes snaps gets CU off to a fast start. May the best man win the job and may the next man up be just as prepared as the starter.

A 1-3 start can't happen at least from my perspective and the onus shouldn't be 100% on SM's shoulders. 1-3 and there won't be a bowl without a couple of miracles. The Buffs start out 1-3 and we'll get buried in the last time slot from there on out other than USC. TBD is another way of saying if you stink...you're playing in the dark.

I think that is mostly true, but the default to the starting QB was still too strong IMO. Throwing Sefo back into the Pac-12 Championship game was an abject disaster.

I know I have talked in extremes in this thread, as have others, but what about the middle ground (more likely) scenarios? If the team goes 6-6/7-5 and Montez is improved but somewhat inconsistent... do we really believe MM would open up the QB competition for 2019?

I agree with most things you've posted in this thread, but I'd refer to Connor Wood to Sefo and Sefo being pulled for I think Gehrke (may be someone else) as evidence that HCMM is willing to open up the position battle. Even last year Noyer went in for Montez.

I think that is the whole issue though. The starting QB never seems to be in danger of losing the starting job under MM, yet supposedly QB recruiting is going well. There is a disconnect there.
It can go both ways though. Remember Hawkins annual QB competition where no starter was named before a week or so before the first game? We had three QBs taking starters snaps in practice and when it came time for Cody to actually play in a game, he wasn’t properly prepared.

Not saying that’s the only other option here, but it is the extreme example of having an open QB competition every year. My preference is to have a guy win the job in the Spring and have all of Fall camp to get in the same page with his OL and receivers.

It can go both ways though. Remember Hawkins annual QB competition where no starter was named before a week or so before the first game? We had three QBs taking starters snaps in practice and when it came time for Cody to actually play in a game, he wasn’t properly prepared.

Not saying that’s the only other option here, but it is the extreme example of having an open QB competition every year. My preference is to have a guy win the job in the Spring and have all of Fall camp to get in the same page with his OL and receivers.
How do you come to the conclusion that Cody wasn’t properly prepared? Certainly limited physically but I’m not sure how to figure out if he was underprepared.

How do you come to the conclusion that Cody wasn’t properly prepared? Certainly limited physically but I’m not sure how to figure out if he was underprepared.

Cody not being prepared wasn't necessarily a factor to practice time. Not having a coherent offensive plan had a lot to do with it.

Agree though with @Not Sure that it isn't good for a team to have a QB competition going on right up to the first game (or beyond.)

Have a real competition in spring ball, let the top two or even top three get their shots in early fall camp but thin the field fast and move towards a starter well before the season starts.

At the same time also have your designated back-up and while focusing on the starter make sure that the back-up is prepared to go in since odds are that at some time in the season he will be coming in due to injury.

Ah, a good trip down memory lane. The juice boxes were never sweeter, the methaphors more random, and the apathy more apathetic.

It sure wasn’t intramurals that is for sure. Nothing makes more optimistic than thinking back on the progress from those years.

I agree with most things you've posted in this thread, but I'd refer to Connor Wood to Sefo and Sefo being pulled for I think Gehrke (may be someone else) as evidence that HCMM is willing to open up the position battle. Even last year Noyer went in for Montez.

Pulling Connor Wood is a decent counter to my argument, but the times Sefo or Montez have been benched both felt half-assed.

Yeah, that is definitely the other extreme. The musical chairs under Hawkins was pretty bad and definitely had an overall adverse effect on the team.

Healthy competition (the middle ground) is very beneficial IMO.

Because he got about one week of practice exclusively with the first team during fall camp.

And on top of that, he was physically limited. A bad combination. The not-so-subtle jab was that there was never an actual open competition, because Hawkins always knew who the opening day QB was going to be. But he put on a charade that did nothing but hurt the performance of the team.

If it hasnt already been said....from Wilner:

View attachment 25597

forgot this:
t only takes one rolled ankle — or broken collarbone — to derail a promising fall, particularly if the backup has limited experience.
When we last assessed the QBCQ, in mid-February, Arizona stood alone at the top.
At the time, the Wildcats had an elite starter in Khalil Tate and a veteran backup in Brandon Dawkins — an enviable and unusual position.
Welp, things have changed in Tucson: Dawkins is taking the graduate transfer path to Indiana, leaving the Wildcats with considerably less experience behind Tate. And by that I mean zero.
So much for Arizona’s stay atop the QBCQ.
Part III is scheduled for late August.

Meh, college kids like to party, that's not news. Actually that quadrant has the best collection of football programs in it.

Except for ASU somehow sneaking into it. They should be hidden behind the books and beer graphic
I know we like to throw shade at ASU for their academics, but as the father of a high schooler who is starting to look at colleges, I was amazed to see that ASU outranks CU in many academic categories. They aren’t a glorified Juco, as many here would claim.

I know we like to throw shade at ASU for their academics, but as the father of a high schooler who is starting to look at colleges, I was amazed to see that ASU outranks CU in many academic categories. They aren’t a glorified Juco, as many here would claim.

2Tfc.gif

horsetwerk.0.gif
iqX2T7zALLX7o.gif

Back