What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Quarterback recruiting

Not Sure

Sets low bar, barely exceeds it.
Club Member
QB recruiting has really solidified. Montez, Noyer, Lytle, Stenstrum, and Evans. That’s class balance, depth and some pretty decent talent. It wasn’t too long ago when we had three seniors and a redshirt freshman at QB. Now, I understand transfers happen and we might end up losing one or more of these guys. But for now, the future sure looks bright at QB at CU. Give the coaches some credit for this.

It will be interesting to see if Noyer or Lytle can push Montez for PT this season. I want Montez to have to work harder than he ever has to hold onto his position. With that kind of hard work, coupled with what I hope will be competent QB coaching, we could have something special. Of course if one of the other kids wins the job over him, then great too. It’s definitely nice to have what appears to be quality depth.

Do we think Noyer is a possible attrition (transfer) candidate next season? Seems like he’s definitely been recruited over.
I think we see in the spring where Lytle is compared to Noyer. Just because Noyer was under-recruited doesn't mean he was recruited over. He's athletic, smart and accurate. From what I've seen Lytle is perhaps more athletic with a bigger arm, but that's always only part of the equation. We've seen quite a few highly recruited QBs fizzle the last few years, who were a lot higher rated than Lytle (see post-Manziel era at aTm for example).

Don't get me wrong, I like everything I've seen of Lytle, but we haven't seen much yet. Will be one of the most interesting stories of this spring. I wouldn't put Montez' job out of reach either. New QB coach in town. New approaches click with different guys at different rates.

I think we see in the spring where Lytle is compared to Noyer. Just because Noyer was under-recruited doesn't mean he was recruited over. He's athletic, smart and accurate. From what I've seen Lytle is perhaps more athletic with a bigger arm, but that's always only part of the equation. We've seen quite a few highly recruited QBs fizzle the last few years, who were a lot higher rated than Lytle (see post-Manziel era at aTm for example).

Don't get me wrong, I like everything I've seen of Lytle, but we haven't seen much yet. Will be one of the most interesting stories of this spring. I wouldn't put Montez' job out of reach either. New QB coach in town. New approaches click with different guys at different rates.
I think we’ve seen about as much from Noyer as we have Lytle. Scratch that, we’ve actually seen Noyer play in games and he hasn’t exactly looked like everything you’ve described him as. Time will tell, but I think he’s on the outside looking in for winning any kind of QB battle over the next few seasons.

So Noyer didn't play well off the bench against WSU in some crazy storm and we are going to say he didn't impress? That seems a little rough. Montez didn't even complete a pass in an entire half that game.
Those were his most significant minutes but he also played in the Texas State, UW, and Cal games.

Very much so.
If he came out of the spring clearly ahead of Lytle? Then no.
Again, I've seen Noyer in some games and scrimmages. He looked very serviceable. I have seen just one fall scrimmage with Lytle. He looked promising as well.
Given a new QB coach, there will be a lot going on thru Spring and then Spring to Fall. I think there could be a lot of interesting outcomes.

Again, I've seen Noyer in some games and scrimmages. He looked very serviceable. I have seen just one fall scrimmage with Lytle. He looked promising as well.
Given a new QB coach, there will be a lot going on thru Spring and then Spring to Fall. I think there could be a lot of interesting outcomes.
Noyer isn't concerned about who is behind him, he is concerned about who is ahead of him. It has little to do with Lytle and more to do with not wanting to waste 4 years sitting on the bench to maybe play one instead of transferring and likely playing 2 years at a lower level.

Sure, but something will give sometime during 2018. Five QBs on the roster at one time is too much.

Noyer isn't concerned about who is behind him, he is concerned about who is ahead of him. It has little to do with Lytle and more to do with not wanting to waste 4 years sitting on the bench to maybe play one instead of transferring and likely playing 2 years at a lower level.
This is why I asked the question. He’s not likely to beat out Montez, and assuming Montez stays for 2 more seasons, Noyer would have one more year left in a competition with Lytle, who’ll be an upperclassmen by then. As you said, that doesn’t look promising from his perspective.

This would be the situation.

Montez has more physical tools than Noyer. Unless Noyer take a big step forward or Montez takes a big step back then Noyer is going to be behind Montez until Montez leaves. Despite some wild speculation I don't see Montez going pro early so at best Noyer is looking at potentially starting one year, if he can hold off the guys behind him which even in his mind would be far from certain.

I'd love to have a solid veteran back-up but like most competitors he is going to want to play. He would likely have his choice of FCS schools where he is eligible to play right away if he transferred and would be the favorite to start from the first day on campus.

Would be very logical for him to consider moving on after the upcoming season. That would leave him 2 years to start at his new school.

Noyer already used his redshirt, so he will flat out lose a year of eligibility if he transfers after 2018. Meaning he will still only have one year left. That is, unless he can figure out a way to graduate in three years.

Noyer already used his redshirt, so he will flat out lose a year of eligibility if he transfers after 2018. Meaning he will still only have one year left. That is, unless he can figure out a way to graduate in three years.
Very possible he could graduate after 2018 with 3 full years and 2 summer semesters.

That’s why it would only make sense for him to transfer to FCS after this year. Would give him immediate eligibility and probably the chance to start right away for the right program.

So, do you talk to him often?

That’s why it would only make sense for him to transfer to FCS after this year. Would give him immediate eligibility and probably the chance to start right away for the right program.

Correct. And also based on him not being a hot prospect out of HS and his limited playing time so far in Boulder it is not likely that he would have a lot of P5 options anyways. I can see a lot of FCS schools having interest in him though.

I think it all hinges on what kind of year Montez has. If he has a monster year and goes early, then the 2019 QB battle begins right there. If Montez has a average to bad year and Noyer leaps him in the depth chart, then there’s no reason to go anywhere.

I think it all hinges on what kind of year Montez has. If he has a monster year and goes early, then the 2019 QB battle begins right there. If Montez has a average to bad year and Noyer leaps him in the depth chart, then there’s no reason to go anywhere.
You are talking about 2 unlikely extremes though. Very small chance Montez regresses to have a bad year next year and also unlikely he does good enough to leave school early.

You are talking about 2 unlikely extremes though. Very small chance Montez regresses to have a bad year next year and also unlikely he does good enough to leave school early.
Those are the situations where I could see Noyer sticking around past 2018. Either Montez has a great year and goes pro, or he craters and Noyer is the next man up. I suppose a third option is where Montez has a season ending injury. Still, it all really depends on Montez.

Those are the situations where I could see Noyer sticking around past 2018. Either Montez has a great year and goes pro, or he craters and Noyer is the next man up. I suppose a third option is where Montez has a season ending injury. Still, it all really depends on Montez.
This problem, this is a good one to have. It's so nice to have a real QB depth chart.

Back