What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Quarterback recruiting

If Montez finishes out spring as QB #1, CU will keep the pecking order of Montez, Noyer then Lytle. We won't see the true order unless Montez goes down and hope that does not happen. It's a bit of a shell game to not have QB's transfers. If Noyer transfers it will be due to the fact he will never unseat Montes. I also don't think Lytle is worried about Stenstrom.

Last edited:
If Montes finishes out spring as QB #1, CU will keep the pecking order of Montes, Noyer then Lytle. We won't see the true order unless Montes goes down and hope that does not happen. It's a bit of a shell game to not have QB's transfers. If Noyer transfers it will be due to the fact he will never unseat Montes. I also don't think Lytle is worried about Stenstrom.
Who is this Montes you repeatedly mention?

If Montes finishes out spring as QB #1, CU will keep the pecking order of Montes, Noyer then Lytle. We won't see the true order unless Montes goes down and hope that does not happen. It's a bit of a shell game to not have QB's transfers. If Noyer transfers it will be due to the fact he will never unseat Montes. I also don't think Lytle is worried about Stenstrom.
I don't see Montez being demoted in spring ball. I do see Noyer and Lytle getting closer to Montez. IMO, If Montez has any issues I think we will see Lytle.

With a new coach, I hope Montez starts to get the nuances that take him from a gunslinger to a QB. It's much too early to know how different guys will progress with a new teacher in place. I feel that Montez and Lytle probably have the best physical tools, and thus have the most to gain here. But only time will tell.

I don't think Montez's status at QB1 has any impact on the competition for QB2. The only thing I expect there is that Stenstrom will be redshirted if they can justify it. But that battle between Noyer and Lytle should be a good one that I don't expect to have a clear winner.

Not understanding the lack of respect for Montez from you all? I hear gunslinger thrown around, and then he does not throw an interception for like 200 attempts. Then he gets benched for playing crappy in a cold and rainy environment when the kid grew up in Texas and has never had to play in that weather, the next week he competes for his job and plays an almost perfect game. The guy had 6 full games with no interceptions. I think he will be fighting Browning for 1st Team all PAC 12 as far as passing goes. Tate will run like hell, but I think Montez is going to light it up. There is no competition if Steven wants to be all he can be. The only way there is a competition is if he decides to mess it all up with attitude, effort, or an off field mistake. Having quality at QB 2, 3, and 4 is awesome, and is part of continued excellence, but otherwise enjoy the ride with Full Monte(z)

Not understanding the lack of respect for Montez from you all? I hear gunslinger thrown around, and then he does not throw an interception for like 200 attempts. Then he gets benched for playing crappy in a cold and rainy environment when the kid grew up in Texas and has never had to play in that weather, the next week he competes for his job and plays an almost perfect game. The guy had 6 full games with no interceptions. I think he will be fighting Browning for 1st Team all PAC 12 as far as passing goes. Tate will run like hell, but I think Montez is going to light it up. There is no competition if Steven wants to be all he can be. The only way there is a competition is if he decides to mess it all up with attitude, effort, or an off field mistake. Having quality at QB 2, 3, and 4 is awesome, and is part of continued excellence, but otherwise enjoy the ride with Full Monte(z)

I would agree with you but I sat in that cold, rainy, and windy ****storm of a game.

He could have at least put a fg on the board for our two hour drive.

I expect him to improve under roper, adams had better do the same with the OL. Although, injurues are out of his control.

I would agree with you but I sat in that cold, rainy, and windy ****storm of a game.

He could have at least put a fg on the board for our two hour drive.

I expect him to improve under roper, adams had better do the same with the OL. Although, injurues are out of his control.

That Washington State game was a major downer, but I would also blame the fact that our schedule was poorly setup without having a Bye Week in there to get the team a little rest and reset.

I really hope Roper teaches him better ball handling. If we had some really good ball fakes, play action, and other good motion schemes, it would really help the offensive line if they are struggling to gel. Amazed how many times it looked like Lindgren would ask Montez to stand in an NFL pocket, with a crappy line, and have to read multiple long developing routes, and then make the throw. Montez was wrong to back out and run away, but you cannot blame a guy for survival instincts. Would rather see more play action, easy throws, tight end dump offs, and quicker reads. We got playmakers on the outside and in the slots, so get them the ball. I think the new Chev, Adams, Roper brain trust will put together a much better situation for SM.

I, for one, thought that reining in the "gunslinger" mentality was something that was likely to make him worse (and frustrated) before he came out the other side of that process much better. I want the gunslinger, but with the maturity to understand the situation and pick his spots a bit. In 2017, there were too many times he didn't trust his pocket and his progressions, going into freelance mode too quickly. And then there were times he started to play too cautiously and seemed to be aiming the ball afraid to make a mistake. In short, 2017 was coaching some things up that were good for him but had him thinking too much about what he was doing instead of it coming naturally. 2018 is about putting it all together so he's playing loose while playing smart football.

I honestly see a lot of flaws in his game. He locks in on his guys and doesn’t go through his progression. He’s too quick to run. For me, he doesn’t have the “it” factor.

So, you agree competition is a good thing for him?

I am in the camp that hopes Noyer transfers. Nothing against the kid but I don’t think he’ll ever even by the number two qb. Might as well save us the scholarship. He could have a very successful career in Greeley but he’s not a division 1 qb imo.

:rolleyes:

WTF with those lame excuses about the Wazzu game?

I know Montez is a legend on Allbuffs, but he showed only flashes last season and actually looked lost far too often for a guy who had started multiple games in his career. Now we are talking all -conference potential? Yeesh.

I know Montez is a legend on Allbuffs, but he showed only flashes last season and actually looked lost far too often for a guy who had started multiple games in his career. Now we are talking all -conference potential? Yeesh.
Sefo’s comments about lack of leadership were telling and a point of concern. To me at least.

Sefo’s comments about lack of leadership were telling and a point of concern. To me at least.
h2S5eqP.gif

I bet if we asked Montez, he'd be the first to say that @Wazzu was the worst game he has ever played in his life and that while there may be reasons with the conditions (and Lindgren doing a horrible job game planning for those conditions), those are only reasons that a QB wouldn't put up great numbers that night... not an excuse for how he performed.

But I don't think it's fair to judge Montez so much on one game. I also think that his receivers let him down a ton in 2017 with dropped passes, not fighting to get open and not blocking for each other at anywhere near the level they'd done that in 2016.

Early in the season, Montez was giving up on his pocket too early and it was throwing off the timing of the offense with the receivers. He seemed to largely fix that.

But he also seemed to get too careful at times and ended up aiming the ball, losing his accuracy on what are easy throws for him.

Also, inexplicably, it took a long time before he found his stroke on deep passes. I think there were some footwork issues mixed in there that contributed.

Bottom line, though, is that the size, arm strength and scrambling ability is an elite package for a QB. It's all there for him to be a special player this year.

I bet if we asked Montez, he'd be the first to say that @Wazzu was the worst game he has ever played in his life and that while there may be reasons with the conditions (and Lindgren doing a horrible job game planning for those conditions), those are only reasons that a QB wouldn't put up great numbers that night... not an excuse for how he performed.

But I don't think it's fair to judge Montez so much on one game. I also think that his receivers let him down a ton in 2017 with dropped passes, not fighting to get open and not blocking for each other at anywhere near the level they'd done that in 2016.

Early in the season, Montez was giving up on his pocket too early and it was throwing off the timing of the offense with the receivers. He seemed to largely fix that.

But he also seemed to get too careful at times and ended up aiming the ball, losing his accuracy on what are easy throws for him.

Also, inexplicably, it took a long time before he found his stroke on deep passes. I think there were some footwork issues mixed in there that contributed.

Bottom line, though, is that the size, arm strength and scrambling ability is an elite package for a QB. It's all there for him to be a special player this year.

I just look at the entire 2017 season as him being pretty "meh."

If you toss out his best game (Cal) and his worst game (Wazzu), it is just okay. Nothing special, nothing terrible.

I think my biggest frustration with him is I just never sensed any urgency with him, even when it became clear the season was hanging in the balance.

If he wins the QB battle, I want him pushed the entire season.

I just look at the entire 2017 season as him being pretty "meh."

If you toss out his best game (Cal) and his worst game (Wazzu), it is just okay. Nothing special, nothing terrible.

I think my biggest frustration with him is I just never sensed any urgency with him, even when it became clear the season was hanging in the balance.

If he wins the QB battle, I want him pushed the entire season.
In all honesty, you are a perceptive hardass. I think you should contract with the Buffs as an offensive analyst.

No. I think there is a middle ground between Montez being all-conference level and terrible.

Agree with this. I think he has a lot of raw ability, we saw it at times and at times he looked less than what we hoped he would be.

I think he could be outstanding but he needs to work at it and he needs to make some major improvements in his game and show them consistently.

I think going the entire off season knowing he was going to be the starter caused him to dwell on it way too much. I don’t think he was able to relax. Then his propensity to leave the pocket too soon had the coaches trying to correct him, stressing him out even more. He needs all the technical stuff to be natural so he can just go out there and grip it and rip it.

Back