What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Ray Polk is a Safety (Polk asked to be moved)

Re: Ray Polk is a Safety

Wow, a well thought out, reasonable post backed with good ideas. I like it:thumbsup:

We'll have none of that **** around here thank you.

For the record, assuming this doesnt cause him to transfer I like the move, a 6 foot 200Lb safety with elite athletic ability is a nice piece in the secondary.

I actually think the guy that might have changed the whole RB dynamic is Sumler. He looked like a different player the last month of the season. He is not the flashiest RB by any stretch, but I have to think he helped make the decision to switch Polk's position (if true) easier. I think we'll see Scott, Sumler, Speedy, and Lockridge all get touches next year in some form. Obviously need Scott and Speedy to stay healthy.

Probably means we take two RBs in this class (maybe three). We should be able to sell early playing time.

What are you basing this on?

My gut, the same as everyone else.

But while I love our RB unit, I'm not ready to start pulling anyone out of it yet, especially the guy who could be the best of all of them. I know last year was freakish with injuries, but we ran out of RBs at one point. Plus, I just like the idea of having a Herd, like we did in 2001 - we were nearly unstoppable that year, with different talent stepping up against different teams.

I actually think the guy that might have changed the whole RB dynamic is Sumler. He looked like a different player the last month of the season.

No doubt on that. Sumler was a solid RB the last few games. He had a whole new level of explosiveness that was lacking early in the season.

What are you basing this on? His own HS coach and most scouts said that they thought his position in college would be on the defensive side of the ball. A lot of people thought he was a little too raw at RB.

But I am like most of you... love the idea, if and only if Ray Polk loves the idea.

(Seriously, are people going to bring up Kai Miava every time someone moves positions, cause it happens a lot).

People also forget that Dizon was a postition switch. Kai is the one people talk about because he was the one who got away. Walters played QB in HS and turned out to be pretty solid, Perkins was a star QB in HS and now plays safety. Solder who could turn out to be an all Big 12 tackle was a 2 star TE out of HS. Players switch positions all the time and in the case of Walters, Perkins and Solder they do it to see the field and most of the time they make an immediate impact.

I see no problem with Polk as a saftey, behind Mahnke and Perkins who else to we have at saftey?

more I think about it, the more I like it... Neither Perkins nor Mahnke impressed me with athleticism... I would love to have a nasty big safety back there with speed... I love the smarts on both of those guys, but a Mahnke/Polk Safety combo does sound nice. athleticism AND smarts.

However, I am still worried about it. He looked pretty sweet running the ball and I don't know how well he knows the defense...

However, if he ends up not contributing I will be very unhappy.

I like the idea, we are loaded at RB, and like people have said, he brings incredible athletic ability to the much needed safety position. I love how people are already saying it's a DUMB move, or you would be an idiot. How do you know? DId you see Ray in HS? Did you talk to Ray? Have you coached?

Why? He's a great athlete. Now he will probably start right away. We have a pretty good hole at the safety spot.

Has he played safety before? Has he been playing safety in practice? People state he is a great athlete and it would be wasting his talents sitting the pine at rb.

Okay, so he won't ride the pine at safety? He's just going to switch and bingo he starts or plays?

Stewart, how will he be after his injury? Scot, can he stay healthy? Lockridge, how will he play after his injury? Sumler,looked better last month can he be more consistent with a healthy OL?

We need help at safety, big time. Not that I think the RB situation is ideal, but he has a better chance to make an instant impact at safety.

Have you seen him play safety? I've sen him run the ball and he looked pretty good.

Has he played safety before? Has he been playing safety in practice? People state he is a great athlete and it would be wasting his talents sitting the pine at rb.

Okay, so he won't ride the pine at safety? He's just going to switch and bingo he starts or plays?

Stewart, how will he be after his injury? Scot, can he stay healthy? Lockridge, how will he play after his injury? Sumler,looked better last month can he be more consistent with a healthy OL?

How do you know? DId you see Ray in HS? Did you talk to Ray? Have you coached?

He has played CB, so he does have experience in the secondary. I don't think it is a given that he starts at safety right away, but I think he has a pretty good shot. Regardless of whether he starts right away or not, he will see the field next year because of the extreme lack of depth at that position.

How do you know? DId you see Ray in HS? Did you talk to Ray? Have you coached?

Did you see ray in high school? Did you talk to ray? Have you coached?

I'll just stop because some people get butt hurt if you don't agree with any of hawk's decisions. There are others who disagree but I know who'll get most of the $hit for not agreeing with that decision.

GREAT MOVE:thumbsup:

However, if he ends up not contributing I will be very unhappy.

Exactly my thought....I'm 100% for it if he can make the field and tear it up....but if he's riding the pine as a backup safety, I would much rather have him back carrying the rock

I'll just stop because some people get butt hurt if you don't agree with any of hawk's decisions. There are others who disagree but I know who'll get most of the $hit for not agreeing with that decision.

I've seen film, so yes I have seen him play secondary

He has played CB, so he does have experience in the secondary. I don't think it is a given that he starts at safety right away, but I think he has a pretty good shot. Regardless of whether he starts right away or not, he will see the field next year because of the extreme lack of depth at that position.

What's the word on vigo? Ihope he's a quick learner (polk) if he's going to see the field at safety next year.

It is okay to disagree with the move. I don't agree with everything the coaching staff does, but I do really like this move. You will see Polk on the field early next year IMO. I think his speed and athleticism is sorely needed right now at safety.

Good lord. Always playing the victim. :rolleyes:

It takes a lot of maturity to make a move like this work. It's up to Ray really. I think he'd be a great S. He has the talent. He needs to think of the team and not himself.

Exactly my thought....I'm 100% for it if he can make the field and tear it up....but if he's riding the pine as a backup safety, I would much rather have him back carrying the rock

What's the word on vigo? Ihope he's a quick learner (polk) if he's going to see the field at safety next year.

Vigo is a project IMO. He will need a couple years before he is ready to make an impact. That is why I have little doubt that you will see Polk on the field early and often next year. We don't have many other options there.

Good lord. Always playing the victim. :rolleyes:

It takes a lot of maturity to make a move like this work. It's up to Ray really. I think he'd be a great S. He has the talent. He needs to think of the team and not himself.

Victims, aren't we all :rolleyes:

Great move, we need help at safety :thumbsup:

Vigo is a project IMO. He will need a couple years before he is ready to make an impact. That is why I have little doubt that you will see Polk on the field early and often next year. We don't have many other options there.
Doesn't Vigo project as a LB? Hawkins and other coaches are always talking about these hybrid-LB's.

Ugh.

Most of you guys are fine with this, and he doesn't even have a carry as a Buff yet. I say, at the minimum, try this mid season or after the season if he can't crack the starting lineup or get significant PT at RB.

I believe Polk has all-conference or greater potential at RB.

Back