What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Ray Polk is a Safety (Polk asked to be moved)

Re: Ray Polk is a Safety

Does he have the skills to be a top-notch RB, absolutely and I don't think this has anything to do with his hands. He caught the ball well when he had chances in HS.

A person I trust who saw him play a number of times in HS and who has been involved in the game at a high level told me when he signed that Ray has the physical skills and reactions to develop into a guy who makes a living playing CB in the league. Of course until he hits the field and actually does it this is all speculation but if he is as good as I have been led to believe he could be more of a game changer on D than he would be on O considering that on O he would have to split time and touches with a bunch of other guys. I would love for us to have another safety in the program who is good enough that opposing coordinators adjust their game plans to go away from him. When you alter what your opponent does you alter the game.

As an aside, this may also mean that the coaching staff is feeling good about the progress that Speedy is making in his recovery and the progress that DS is making in getting over his ankle issues and getting into the kind of shape that will let him be a difference maker.

This topic is moving too fast to read everything so if I repeat something -- my apologies.

Polk requested the move, and it's not exactly a 'move' since he played DB in H.S. and has yet to play RB here (although he's been learning the position). Since it was his idea and a logical move then I can't help but endorse it.

David Plati, CU associate athletic director and sports information director, writes that Polk (listed at 6-feet-1 and 200 pounds last August) came into the office of Buffaloes secondary coach Greg Brown last week and requested the switch. Polk redshirted last fall.
I'd still love it if he saw a little time at RB just so we could see what he can do, and the spring game could allow further experimentation. We don't have to view this as necessarily permanent.

Let's give him the benefit of the doubt since it was his choice, and he has a better informed picture of how he fits in. The positive side of the issue is that we've suddenly picked up an extremely talented Safety, and that's very good news, despite people's preference for RBs versus Safties. I like the Safety position, and it's a very sensible move considering the depth picture on the team.

Last edited:

This topic is moving too fast to read everything so if I repeat something -- my apologies.

Polk requested the move, and it's not exactly a 'move' since he played DB in H.S. and has yet to play RB here (although he's been learning the position). Since it was his idea and a logical move then I can't help but endorse it.

I'd still love it if he saw a little time at RB just so we could see what he can do, and the spring game could allow further experimentation. We don't have to view this as necessarily permanent.

Let's give him the benefit of the doubt since it was his choice, and he has a better informed picture of how he fits in. The positive side of the issue is that we've suddenly picked up an extremely talented Safety, and that's very good news, despite people's preference for RBs versus Safties. I like the Safety position, and it's a very sensible move consideration the depth picture on the team.

thank you, colinski. great move imo.

thank you, colinski. great move imo.

I think the reaction from some quarters here is based on the assumption that he was moved by the staff, as well as the relative love people exhibit towards RBs versus Safeties. It's a different story when we consider it was his idea.

I guess I'm a little more open to the idea of playing defense, although my initial reaction was the same as others' here. It didn't take long to like the idea of picking up a possibly great Safety, that was the position that I thought they missed on in this class.

Originally Posted By some Chicken littleI can't believe that the coaches would have the audacity to move a talented player like this to defense. I know he's going to transfer.....

So, now we throw the player under the bus for asking for the move? Just want to make sure we are being consistent here.

So, now we throw the player under the bus for asking for the move? Just want to make sure we are being consistent here.

HE asked for the move so, I take back all of my posts and say it's a great move :smile2:

The timing on this move -- right before the spring -- is very, very good. He gets the benefit of the entire off-season to learn the position. He's also on fairly even ground with his competition. It gives him a very good chance of seeing starting time at S, rather than sharing time at RB.

I think it's a wonderful move for him and the team, albeit surprising. He's probably been surveying the situation for a while before making the request. I prefer to look at it in a positive light -- he's looking to contribute sooner, and in a big way, rather than later.

The timing on this move -- right before the spring -- is very, very good. He gets the benefit of the entire off-season to learn the position. He's also on fairly even ground with his competition. It gives him a very good chance of seeing starting time at S, rather than sharing time at RB.

I think it's a wonderful move for him and the team, albeit surprising. He's probably been surveying the situation for a while before making the request. I prefer to look at it in a positive light -- he's looking to contribute sooner, and in a big way, rather than later.

As boulder buff stated, if he's going to move now is the best time so he can as you say have the off-season to learn the position.

I shouldn't care who they move,let's get a winning season and a bowl win no matter who or where people play.

I don't like the move. I had dreams of hitting teams with a steady diet of Polk, Stewart, Scott over and over again until they sent trainers over to Hawk asking to pull off the dogs.

I also see the potential for injury at RB and having to re-insert him there.

JMHO.

I don't like the move. I had dreams of hitting teams with a steady diet of Polk, Stewart, Scott over and over again until they sent trainers over to Hawk asking to pull off the dogs.

I also see the potential for injury at RB and having to re-insert him there.

JMHO.

I can understand where you're coming from, but where would we be if Mahnke or Perkins (or both) went down next year? At least at RB, we have some options, even after moving Polk.

Keep in mind Lockridge has supposedly been tearing it up. And Sumler is solid. I don't understand why we forget about him

Why? He's a great athlete. Now he will probably start right away. We have a pretty good hole at the safety spot.
I think you will see more of this in the future. Hawk is going after true athletes with size and speed, and will find a place for them to play. :thumbsup:

A quick point -- Ray-Ray had a longer history on the defensive side, at CB. And that's also what his father played, who was drafted by the Raiders as a 12th rounder in 1985. Ray-Ray was moved to RB as a junior at Brophy after an injury to his teammate.

A quick point -- Ray-Ray had a longer history on the defensive side, at CB. And that's also what his father played, who was drafted by the Raiders as a 12th rounder in 1985. Ray-Ray was moved to RB as a junior at Brophy after an injury to his teammate.

That coach was just lucky that he didn't transfer.... :rolleyes:

Keep in mind Lockridge has supposedly been tearing it up. And Sumler is solid. I don't understand why we forget about him

This is not ment to be a smart ass question, where is he tearing it up at? He showed some flashes before, hopefully he can again. Has he put on any weight?

This is not ment to be a smart ass question, where is he tearing it up at? He showed some flashes before, hopefully he can again. Has he put on any weight?

He has literally been running rings around the other hernia patients....

And yes, this was meant to be a samrt *** response.:smile2:

As soon as I get permission from Ray to give some info from a conversation I had with him, I will post them, however, what she said is right, he requested the move, is happy about it, loves CU and Colorado and is a Buff for life. Stop worrying about it. That is the important stuff anyway, let's look forward to him being a all Big 12 safety and in the NFL someday!
:woot:

Ray's feelings were my only concern. He certainly has all the tools to be a big-time safety back there, and he addresses an immediate need (esp. since Moore went back to USC).

After a full day to let this soak in, and with the additional info coming out, and considering his (and his fathers history), I am now officially stoked about this move. I loved his potential at RB, but frankly I loved his potential more than his potential at that position.

I think he waited till signing day just to see if Moore was gonna sign. If Moore signed, I bet Polk stays at RB. Since he didn't polk figured, well, time to make the move. Makes me excited for next year all the more!

Can't wait to see who starts in the spring game :thumbsup:

Lockridge was back in pads for the second half of season. having spent half the season on IR, and with Speedy doing so well, they kept his redshirt on and used him on the scout team. That's where he tore it up, earning the award (with Simas) for outstanding offensive scout teamer.

The scout team awards, which recognized those players who shined weekly mimicking opponent schemes and mannerisms went to sophomore redshirt tailback Brian Lockridge and freshman redshirt wide receiver Markques Simas for offense, to freshman defensive end Will Pericak for defense and senior strong safety Joel Adams for special teams.

http://www.cubuffs.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=3843&SPID=255&DB_OEM_ID=600&ATCLID=3633178

The depth at DB is a concern at this point, so I can't argue against the move on positional grounds. BTW -- has anyone heard of what's happening with Nate Vaiomounga since he was dismissed from the team? We posted on the depth situation at Safety before last season and I commented then that I hoped they'd eventually move him back to Safety. The current depth situation at Safety is a little scary. There's some numbers, but not enough quality nor experience.

SAFETY POSITION 09/10

27 Ewing, Vince S 6-0 205 RFr. RS Carlsbad, Calif. (Carlsbad)
12 Mahnke, Patrick S 6-1 200 So. 1L Parker, Colo. (Mountain Vista)
22 Meyer, Matt S 5-9 185 So. VR Laguna Niguel, Calif. (Santa Margarita)
46 Perkins, Anthony S 5-10 195 So. 1L Northglenn, Colo. (Northglenn)
26 Polk, Ray S 6-1 190 RFr. RS Scottsdale, Ariz. (Brophy Prep)
19 Sandersfeld, Travis S 6-0 200 So. 1L Limon, Colo. (Limon)
28 Smith, Bret S 5-11 190 Jr. 1L Highlands Ranch, Colo. (Regis)

Also, possibly -- 17 Hicks, Steven DB 5-10 175 RFr. RS Tyler, Texas (Whitehouse)

44 Adams, Trace DB 6-0 220 Sr. VR Steamboat Springs, Colo. (Steamboat Springs)

Yet one more, I forgot him:

21 Wright, Anthony CB 6-0 190 So. 1L Compton, Calif. (Compton)

Last edited:
After a full day to let this soak in, and with the additional info coming out, and considering his (and his fathers history), I am now officially stoked about this move. I loved his potential at RB, but frankly I loved his potential more than his potential at that position.

I think he waited till signing day just to see if Moore was gonna sign. If Moore signed, I bet Polk stays at RB. Since he didn't polk figured, well, time to make the move. Makes me excited for next year all the more!

Can't wait to see who starts in the spring game :thumbsup:

I'm in agreement after hearing all the info.

The depth at DB is a concern at this point, so I can't argue against the move on positional grounds. BTW -- has anyone heard of what's happening with Nate Vaiomounga since he was dismissed from the team? We posted on the depth situation at Safety before last season and I commented then that I hoped they'd eventually move him back to Safety. The current depth situation at Safety is a little scary. There's some numbers, but not enough quality nor experience.

SAFETY POSITION 09/10

Also, possibly -- 17 Hicks, Steven DB 5-10 175 RFr. RS Tyler, Texas (Whitehouse)

What's the story on wright? Is he staying at cb? Lot of positive talk about him before last year and not hearing anything about him anymore.

SAFETY POSITION 09/10

Where does Vigo fit into this picture? Anyways, I would say that after those 3, I worry. I know Polk hasn't played a down at S yet, but I just trust him to kick ass, and I trust Brown to coach him up. As for the other two, both are solid and dependable guys. I think Mahnke has the potential to be a GREAT college player.

However, ya, after the three in bold I am very much concerned. Sanderfield I at least know as a solid special teams guy. Vince and Bret I know NOTHING about...

Don't forget the frosh we have coming in, but ya, I would rather RS those guys than throw them into the fire.

However, barring injuries, with those 3 guys and Brown coaching... I think we will be fine next season. :woot:

Back