What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Ray Polk is a Safety (Polk asked to be moved)

Re: Ray Polk is a Safety

I trust Darian Hagan knows his guys. If Darian is cool with it, then I'm good with it. I'm also sure if Darian thought the kid would be the next all B12 RB. He wouldn'tve let it happen.

Man everyone needs to quit bitchin'. Here's the deal, Ray Polk is a good RB. But, the coaches obviously think he will be a better safety. These guys live football everyday, I would trust them over some bum who thinks he will make a better RB. Chances are they know a hell of a lot more than you. His high school coach even said himself he thought Polk would be better on the defensive side.

Yes, this is official. Polk is now a Safety. I have him in one of my classes, no more speculation. I like the move:thumbsup:

This is all speculation until we hear someone go on the record about it. What do coaches and, more importantly, Ray have to say about the move?

Slow down. Let's find out of this rumor is true, or just some administrative typo.

Is Polk an RB who can put together a string of 100yrd games. Could he rush for 1,000 yards in a season? Can he outshine the rest of the RB corp? Maybe yes, maybe no.

If it's a fact, and when there is a statement from the coaches and from Ray Ray, then I'll feel better about the move. If this turns out to be a mistake, then all this speculation would be of no favor to the team and to Polk.

It would also be a strange time to make this decission, so far from Spring practice. And it would be a crummy PR move by the AD to spring this kind info in such a low key manner.

I have no idea whether this a good idea, but I know that the coaches know Polk's abilities more than anybody on this board, so maybe we can just relax until spring practice and judge the results?

This is all speculation until we hear someone go on the record about it. What do coaches and, more importantly, Ray have to say about the move?

There is no speculation, he told me himself he is a Safety now:thumbsup:

I trust Darian Hagan knows his guys. If Darian is cool with it, then I'm good with it. I'm also sure if Darian thought the kid would be the next all B12 RB. He wouldn'tve let it happen.

I agree. i just find it funny how whever position changes happen, there are the people that automatically call it in idotic move when they really have no idea of what is going on regarding what the coaches see in the kid, what the kid wants to do, what the kid has done etc. We will find out, but he sure has the build of a safety with incredible speed, and he has soem experience.

I will admit it if I am wrong, but I tend to trust these decisions and see how they work out first before calling it an idotic move.

I'm willing to give it a shot, it seems like an interesting idea.

Sure, if he transfers I'm not going to like it. Of course, there is absolutely NO evidence that he is thinking that way, aside from the fact that somebody else who changed positions transferred (even if his transfer wasn't totally because of the position switch. And sure, if he rides the pine at safety, I won't like the move. Of course, if this staff moves him to safety and lets him ride the pine when he is in fact an all-American candidate at running back, I think Polk will be the least of our problems...

But considering the fact that he is the type of athlete who could make a truly great safety, the fact that we need depth at safety and the fact that running back is a position where are deeper, relatively speaking, I'm not going to go psycho and get all pissed off over a decision that I haven't had the slightest opportunity to see play out on the field yet. Unlike some, I am more than willing to admit that this staff knows more about this team than I do.... :huh:

Oh, and :gobuffs:. Hope to see Ray kicking some serious ass soon, on whichever side of the ball we need him.... :thumbsup:

Doesn't Vigo project as a LB? Hawkins and other coaches are always talking about these hybrid-LB's.

Very true, I have heard Vigo ultimately ends up at LB. That probably means it will be a while before he makes an impact.

Ugh.

Most of you guys are fine with this, and he doesn't even have a carry as a Buff yet. I say, at the minimum, try this mid season or after the season if he can't crack the starting lineup or get significant PT at RB.

I believe Polk has all-conference or greater potential at RB.

You make the move now or you don't make it at all IMO. We need help at safety now. Polk needs to acclimated to the position because I really do think he will be counted on to play right away. We really do not have many options there right now.

Plati says Ray asked to be moved.:thumbsup:

Q: (Late Add, getting a few inquiries). Did Ray Polk get moved to safety? Any info on that?
A: The running joke among the coaches on signing day was that not only did we sign a good class, but (secondary coach) Greg Brown also gained a top notch recruit when Ray came in that day and asked to be moved to safety. Truth be know, Greg saw Polk make a play early in camp and he said right there and then that the kid had all the tools to be a safety in the NFL. He played the position in high school so he does have familiarity with it.

http://www.cubuffs.com//ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=600&ATCLID=3666577

Last edited:

Doooooooooooommmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!!!!!!!

he requested it? Damn, the coaches must have really not liked his hands...

Nevermind.. now that we know Ray requested the move, there isn't much reason to argue whether it was a good move or bad move by the coaches.

So I guess if you hate the move, you can take it up with Ray!

Last edited:

Looking at the RB depth in another thread, BB saying he played safety in HS, and he went to the coaches and requested the move..... hmmmmm let me think.....

Ray Polk is a gamer..... he knows he can better serve the Buffs as a safety where his skills and athletisicms will be better used for the good of the team. He is showing his unselfishness by askign for a position move and doing what it takes to make the Buffs a winner this coming season and reach the 10 win mark, maybe higher. Give the young man credit.... I truly believe he knows where his skills are most needed for the Buffs right now.....

I ran into Stewart at DIA after Thanksgiving and he said he'd be good to go a couple weeks after that. In other words, he might have been playing in a bowl game had we made one, so I think he'll be fine.

I think Rodney has proven that he can come back from an injury. I'm confident he'll be fine. The kid has got 'it'. Rodney is the last of my worries.

I also think Polk has the potential to make a big impact for this team as soon as next year at safety. At RB, there is no guarantee that Helfrich will find a way to get him on the field. Or at least, I don't trust Helfrich to find a way to effectively use Stewart/Scott/Polk and Lockridge. Do you? With Polk at safety, we fill a gap on our roster with one of our better athletes.

Just a few questions. Helfrich hasn't exactly been lighting it up as the OC. I won't argue with you on that. But wasn't Grimes responsible as the "Running game coordinator"? I know Helfrich has the final say in what happens on the offense, but he's relying on his assistants. No? I haven't heard any criticizm go Grimes's way with the running game.

I think Rodney has proven that he can come back from an injury. I'm confident he'll be fine. The kid has got 'it'. Rodney is the last of my worries.

Just a few questions. Helfrich hasn't exactly been lighting it up as the OC. I won't argue with you on that. But wasn't Grimes responsible as the "Running game coordinator"? I know Helfrich has the final say in what happens on the offense, but he's relying on his assistants. No? I haven't heard any criticizm go Grimes's way with the running game.

True.. actually AZ has even go so far to say Grimes actually had the final say on the offensive gameplan each week. I guess we'll just have to wait and see if our running game or gameplans begin to change now that Grimes has moved on.

Regardless, my point was just that if people are going to question Helfrich's ability to put the right players on the field, why do we suddenly trust that he'll effectively use 4 or 5 capable running backs?

The more I think about it the more I like it. We run the ball about 25-30 times a game. We need to divide that by Scott, Speedy, Sumler, Lockridge and if Polk stayed at RB then throw him into that also.

We need to have the best players on the field and I don't think having two or three of those players sitting on the bench on any given play is going to improve the team.

With Polk at safety then he is now on the field for 75 plays a game instead of 10-15. I think Ray see's that also or he would stay at RB.

Hard to argue with the wishes of the player, so I'm on board with the decision and I really hope it works out. Polk is so good, he could probably play 3-4 other positions on the field.

On another note, it seems as if the joke is on us, in that this move has been in the works for a long time.

If Irv's kid thinks he has the tools to play safetly in the NFL, I'm all for it. And if Mahnke is as good as I think he'll be, we could have two guys back there that will take a receiver's head off. Figuratively, that is. I mean, I wouldn't want to see them actually remove a kid's head.

If Irv's kid thinks he has the tools to play safetly in the NFL, I'm all for it. And if Mahnke is as good as I think he'll be, we could have two guys back there that will take a receiver's head off. Figuratively, that is. I mean, I wouldn't want to see them actually remove a kid's head.

:yeahthat:

Not unless the fuskers decide to put Alex Henery in at receiver for a play....

I'm willing to give it a shot, it seems like an interesting idea.

Sure, if he transfers I'm not going to like it. Of course, there is absolutely NO evidence that he is thinking that way, aside from the fact that somebody else who changed positions transferred (even if his transfer wasn't totally because of the position switch. And sure, if he rides the pine at safety, I won't like the move. Of course, if this staff moves him to safety and lets him ride the pine when he is in fact an all-American candidate at running back, I think Polk will be the least of our problems...

But considering the fact that he is the type of athlete who could make a truly great safety, the fact that we need depth at safety and the fact that running back is a position where are deeper, relatively speaking, I'm not going to go psycho and get all pissed off over a decision that I haven't had the slightest opportunity to see play out on the field yet. Unlike some, I am more than willing to admit that this staff knows more about this team than I do.... :huh:

Oh, and :gobuffs:. Hope to see Ray kicking some serious ass soon, on whichever side of the ball we need him.... :thumbsup:

As soon as I get permission from Ray to give some info from a conversation I had with him, I will post them, however, what she said is right, he requested the move, is happy about it, loves CU and Colorado and is a Buff for life. Stop worrying about it. That is the important stuff anyway, let's look forward to him being a all Big 12 safety and in the NFL someday!

Originally Posted by DBT
If Irv's kid thinks he has the tools to play safetly in the NFL, I'm all for it. And if Mahnke is as good as I think he'll be, we could have two guys back there that will take a receiver's head off. Figuratively, that is. I mean, I wouldn't want to see them actually remove a kid's head
[/B]

Not unless the fuskers decide to put Alex Henery in at receiver for a play....

Man that kid bugs me. There was a kid in elementary and middle school with the same name who was such an idot. When I saw his name and face come up i did a double take and almost had a whole new set of reasons added to the list.

Back to the topic. I'm glad Polk asked for this on his own. I think he has incredible talent at a few positions. If it doesn't work out, so what? We know he wont play safety and he can always go back to RB. Nothing is ever set in stone in CFB. We saw that last year especially.

Last edited:

He felt he could help the team out with the move and he would have a better future at safety.

Back