What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Recruiting so far...

What grade would you give Tucker and his staff for their recruiting efforts so far?

• A

Votes: 23 9.7%
  • A-

Votes: 39 16.5%
  • B+

Votes: 72 30.5%
  • B

Votes: 60 25.4%
  • B-

Votes: 19 8.1%
  • C+

Votes: 9 3.8%
  • C

Votes: 5 2.1%
  • C-

Votes: 6 2.5%
  • D

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • F

Votes: 1 0.4%

• Total voters
Alfano was the highest rated recruit in 2018.

CU has made one bowl game (6+ wins) since 2008.

This type of transfer is unprecedented.
Who ever said it wasn't a big deal? If you want to doctor rankings, go for it. Just know that's what you are doing.

If I’m reading the poll correctly it’s for the recruiting effort so far, no mention of specific class. So I think Alfano is in play for grading the effort thus far.
Alfano is not in this class and that is a different question. The true argument for this thread would be looking at the 2019 class and evaluating that as part of the whole.
Semantics I know but if everyone else is gonna have a stick up their ass about every other nuance then I will add mine before I go back to making puns and looking for scoop.

giphy.gif

It is 2 separate things.

Class rank is one thing. That’s how we compare with others on who we sign in recruiting (HS & JUCO).

Then, I would always add transfers into the program vs transfers out as a 2nd thing for a thread like this in order to give a final grade for the year.

Fact of the matter is despite your semantic claim, other transfers wouldn’t move the needle like Alfano does for the Buffs.
In the future, if you are arguing in favor of a statement that is entirely different from the debate at hand, you should state it in the beginning. It would save you a lot of effort. Nothing wrong with your statement.

I think both points have validity. But I’m the pure terms of a class, you need to just look at the baseline rankings of 247 or whatever in order to gauge how we are doing vs other teams.

I don't think anyone is saying Alfano doesn’t reflect on this class, he’s obviously the biggest pick up we have had in a coons age.

I feel like this thread is a 6 month moving target. It should be closed and restarted anew every month. I voted in this poll in July and it was a B or B-. Most of the votes mean nothing now.

Also, a lot of posters are operating in this thread as if Alfano hasn't already changed last year's ranking to #34 on 24/7. Mel is currently working on a 2nd consecutive top 35 class with only 11 months on the job. That's a B+ for me and if this is a Top 25 class in his first full year then that's an A.

I feel like this thread is a 6 month moving target. It should be closed and restarted anew every month. I voted in this poll in July and it was a B or B-. Most of the votes mean nothing now.

Also, a lot of posters are operating in this thread as if Alfano hasn't already changed last year's ranking to #34 on 24/7. Mel is currently working on a 2nd consecutive top 35 class with only 11 months on the job. That's a B+ for me and if this is a Top 25 class in his first full year then that's an A.

It does let you change your vote, though. Mine was a C+ I think 6 months ago and now I'm feeling a little kool-aid so I went with an A. I'm factoring in closing up on some guys that haven't quite committed, but seem borderline guaranteed to.

It is 2 separate things.

Class rank is one thing. That’s how we compare with others on who we sign in recruiting (HS & JUCO).

Then, I would always add transfers into the program vs transfers out as a 2nd thing for a thread like this in order to give a final grade for the year.

Recruiting rankings are a good Kool-aid check. Without them fans would tend to convince themselves what they want about a class. Personally I pay more attention to offers than ratings but generally those tend to merge by the time signing day comes around. Rankings also don't do a good job of measuring risk so a class can look great but if a number of those players don't make it for academic or legal reasons or transfer out then the ranking is a false positive (I.E. Nebraska recently)

You can't ignore the transfers either. especially if they are at positions of need.

Which brings the third issue. Recruiting rankings are a good measure but they don't measure how a class fits the needs of the program. When Slick Rick was in Boulder he had a couple of classes full of highly thought of players (didn't really have the rankings then) but they were all WRs and DBs, positions CU was already deep at. They lacked OL and DL which were positions where we were overly thin.

If anything Alfano seemed to start the recruiting MO, as in momentum.

Exactly. If we end up with Gonzalez, Berry OR Harris, and Clayton, I'll feel- perhaps rightly, perhaps wrongly- that landing Alfano got the momentum swinging in our direction.

In that sense, he's already paid dividends for CU football- whatever happens, in terms of on-field contributions when he gets here happens, but he's already a plus.

That's my sense, anyway.

It does let you change your vote, though. Mine was a C+ I think 6 months ago and now I'm feeling a little kool-aid so I went with an A. I'm factoring in closing up on some guys that haven't quite committed, but seem borderline guaranteed to.

I never said I can’t change my vote. I would be surprised if the majority have changed their votes every month. If even 25% of the votes haven’t changed since the summer, then it’s meaningless.

247 added Alfano to the 2019 final rankings. I am not sure you can add him into both classes. Makes sense to add him into the actual class he came in.

Last edited:
I think the best way to grade recruiting is in 2 or 3 year periods. Then you can factor in the current class rankings, attrition, player development, yada, yada, yada. I’d be surprised if some guru hasn’t done that already.

I made this point before, but consideration of class rank << having Alfano on the team, so don't care that much. Having said that though, the fact is they do count transfers, both full qualifiers out of HS and non-qualifiers, through the JUCO route. So while some call it doctoring to include 4 year college transfers, to me it's just inconsistent on the part of the rating services. It's just a software mod, and would reflect reality.

Being from Texas I bounced over to their HS playoff brackets just to recognize the teams I played and played for - yep G-Town is in the playoffs. Big game tonight against Austin LBJ, an old nemesis. Bringing this up because Coach Chev is seeing some really good football tonight. Texas playoffs are like no other.

Being from Texas I bounced over to their HS playoff brackets just to recognize the teams I played and played for - yep G-Town is in the playoffs. Big game tonight against Austin LBJ, an old nemesis. Bringing this up because Coach Chev is seeing some really good football tonight. Texas playoffs are like no other.
Wasn't Mason Crosby from Georgetown? I assume that's the G-Town you're referring to.

Back