What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Recruiting so far...

What grade would you give Tucker and his staff for their recruiting efforts so far?

• A

Votes: 23 9.7%
  • A-

Votes: 39 16.5%
  • B+

Votes: 72 30.5%
  • B

Votes: 60 25.4%
  • B-

Votes: 19 8.1%
  • C+

Votes: 9 3.8%
  • C

Votes: 5 2.1%
  • C-

Votes: 6 2.5%
  • D

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • F

Votes: 1 0.4%

• Total voters
Recruiting rankings are a good Kool-aid check. Without them fans would tend to convince themselves what they want about a class. Personally I pay more attention to offers than ratings but generally those tend to merge by the time signing day comes around. Rankings also don't do a good job of measuring risk so a class can look great but if a number of those players don't make it for academic or legal reasons or transfer out then the ranking is a false positive (I.E. ****braska recently)

You can't ignore the transfers either. especially if they are at positions of need.

Which brings the third issue. Recruiting rankings are a good measure but they don't measure how a class fits the needs of the program. When Slick Rick was in Boulder he had a couple of classes full of highly thought of players (didn't really have the rankings then) but they were all WRs and DBs, positions CU was already deep at. They lacked OL and DL which were positions where we were overly thin.

Agree with your comments. The Rankings services are better than in Slick's years. However, unless they make academics, succeed in the classroom, stay out of legal troubles, and grow in the program to actually see the field, all the recruiting rankings just give you is a December feel good. However, if recruiting is up, then there is momentum for the team, which is always good.

As I recall, Slick did sign a #1 LB. Also, he fixed the OL recruiting with Victor Rogers and Andrew Gurode; I think both were 1st or 2nd round NFL picks. For some reason, he could never recruit a QB, if memory serves Koy was already here. Although he would sign some highly rated guys, he was terrible at building overall team depth.

You are right that recruiting is improving the overall team, so JUCO's and transfers at positions of need are key pieces to the puzzle.

Last edited:
Agree with your comments. The Rankings services are better than in Slick's years. However, unless they make academics, succeed in the classroom, stay out of legal troubles, and grow in the program to actually see the field, all the recruiting rankings do give you a December feel good. However, if recruiting is up, then there is momentum for the team, which is always good.

As I recall, Slick did sign a #1 LB. Also, he fixed the OL recruiting Victor Rogers and Andrew Gurode; I think both were 1st or 2nd round NFL picks. For some reason, he could never recruit a QB, if memory serves Koy was already here. Although he would sign some highly rated guys, he was terrible at building overall team depth.

You are right that recruiting is improving the overall team, so JUCO's and transfers at positions of need are key pieces to the puzzle.
He and Elway are both terrible evaluators of QBs. Must be something about the position.

He and Elway are both terrible evaluators of QBs. Must be something about the position.

I think Big Jim posted about it recently and I agree with his post that CU has never really had a truly elite QB in a passing offense. I'm not old enough to remember Mark Hatcher too much, but I think perhaps he had a legitimate NFL chance as a back-up. Koy Detmer was a good NFL back-up for Favre, but he had only an average arm and limited mobility after the knee injury. Koy could fit the ball into tight places and run an intricate offense. Slash was slash.

I would have to say, none of the CU coaches (except for Sal who is a legend, turned the program around, and was elite but he was more running qb), MACI included were able to sign a sure fire pro type prospect. I think the closest in terms of HS recruits may have been Adam Bledsoe and he did not turn-out. Joel Klatt was actually a pretty good gamer, but he was like 22 and a baseball player. Sefo broke all the records, but his bread and butter was shorter routes, his heart/competitive spirit, and ability to run despite the hits he took.

In my mind, the only two that could have turned out as elite passers were perhaps Tyler Hansen (if Hawk had not burned his RS and rarely played him behind his son, I would be curious to see how he would have stacked up) and Colt Brennan (he was kicked off the team, then transferred to Hawaii and was in Heisman contention his senior season). Hansen had upside with a quick release, pretty strong arm, and was mobile, but he only really played one season on a terrible team; 4 wins, but closed his PAC-12 career out with a win at Utah! Some of the other posters may have information on Hansen he was big enough.

Fingers crossed for MT and staff to find CU's 1st truly elite QB, perhaps not if CU goes to a run first mentality. I think that we learned this year, unfortunately even participating in the Manning Passing Academy that is not indicative of an elite passer. SM will break a bunch of records, but his W-L holds him back. Nor is the elite 11. As memory serves wasn't Cody Hawkins and Sefo participated in the elite 11? I have been an SC hater for 20 years, even when I lived in California briefly, but I have to admit Kedon Slovis is awesome and he was 2nd string. Fink even won a game this year as the 3rd stringer, and lost his 2nd game. Fingers crossed.

Harris would put us at 26th and 3rd in Pac 12 as things currently stand

That would be awesome Schek. I'd say given this season, if CU is in the Top-6 in the conference, MT gets at least an A-. It will be interesting to see how the class finishes. There does seem to be different a different feel and definite momentum than in past years.

Also, maybe they can even get a last minute coup signee. I like that CU is so active in Texas and the South, so if some of the blue bloods run out of scholies, CU may jump on someone last minute.

Needs top 3 to be an A. Top 6 is a B. I'm not gonna grade him on a curve. This is Colorado football goddamit

You are definitely right in the long run! However, with MT being a new coach and this particular season, if the Buffs stay high, it looks to be one hell of a turn around, as compared to the last 15+ seasons. That is why I consider an A range. Hawkins had that one highly rated class, but virtually none of those guys made it onto the field. In hindsight, that was probably a C-/D+ class; and given the expectations it was an F. We will have see how this turns out.

Also, we rarely talk about the coaches ability to develop the talent once they are on campus and keep them on campus. That is an unknown with this young staff. The Frosh corners are a good sign, as is Perry, Mangham, and others. With the transfer portal, there definitely is more attrition at all schools. I'd say MCMM did somewhat excel in this area. One of the props that I give to HCMM was his ability to send kids away a season, let them grow up, and so long as they made strides or met his conditions, they could come back with an open slate. Natul'o Falo will graduate this season and I am proud of him for sticking it out with Buff Nation.

You are definitely right in the long run! However, with MT being a new coach and this particular season, if the Buffs stay high, it looks to be one hell of a turn around, as compared to the last 15+ seasons. That is why I consider an A range. Hawkins had that one highly rated class, but virtually none of those guys made it onto the field. In hindsight, that was probably a C-/D+ class; and given the expectations it was an F. We will have see how this turns out.

Also, we rarely talk about the coaches ability to develop the talent once they are on campus and keep them on campus. That is an unknown with this young staff. The Frosh corners are a good sign, as is Perry, Mangham, and others. With the transfer portal, there definitely is more attrition at all schools. I'd say MCMM did somewhat excel in this area. One of the props that I give to HCMM was his ability to send kids away a season, let them grow up, and so long as they made strides or met his conditions, they could come back with an open slate. Natul'o Falo will graduate this season and I am proud of him for sticking it out with Buff Nation.

B+/A- for right now. Still need to add a grad transfer QB.

I think Big Jim posted about it recently and I agree with his post that CU has never really had a truly elite QB in a passing offense. I'm not old enough to remember Mark Hatcher too much, but I think perhaps he had a legitimate NFL chance as a back-up. Koy Detmer was a good NFL back-up for Favre, but he had only an average arm and limited mobility after the knee injury. Koy could fit the ball into tight places and run an intricate offense. Slash was slash.

I would have to say, none of the CU coaches (except for Sal who is a legend, turned the program around, and was elite but he was more running qb), MACI included were able to sign a sure fire pro type prospect. I think the closest in terms of HS recruits may have been Adam Bledsoe and he did not turn-out. Joel Klatt was actually a pretty good gamer, but he was like 22 and a baseball player. Sefo broke all the records, but his bread and butter was shorter routes, his heart/competitive spirit, and ability to run despite the hits he took.

In my mind, the only two that could have turned out as elite passers were perhaps Tyler Hansen (if Hawk had not burned his RS and rarely played him behind his son, I would be curious to see how he would have stacked up) and Colt Brennan (he was kicked off the team, then transferred to Hawaii and was in Heisman contention his senior season). Hansen had upside with a quick release, pretty strong arm, and was mobile, but he only really played one season on a terrible team; 4 wins, but closed his PAC-12 career out with a win at Utah! Some of the other posters may have information on Hansen he was big enough.

Fingers crossed for MT and staff to find CU's 1st truly elite QB, perhaps not if CU goes to a run first mentality. I think that we learned this year, unfortunately even participating in the Manning Passing Academy that is not indicative of an elite passer. SM will break a bunch of records, but his W-L holds him back. Nor is the elite 11. As memory serves wasn't Cody Hawkins and Sefo participated in the elite 11? I have been an SC hater for 20 years, even when I lived in California briefly, but I have to admit Kedon Slovis is awesome and he was 2nd string. Fink even won a game this year as the 3rd stringer, and lost his 2nd game. Fingers crossed.

Wasn't Craig Ochs an Blue Chipper? Had a pretty good freshman season.

Wasn't Craig Ochs an Blue Chipper? Had a pretty good freshman season.

Yeah, that is a Blue-Chipper that I forgot. I think he was a local 4*. He did have a good Frosh season. As I recall, his 1st start was in the K-State game, and I think he may have run, thrown, and caught a TD in that game, a 1st ever feat. I may be off in the game but he played well that season. Ochs was looking great going into the next season, but CU lost at home to Fresno State and GB basically went with Pesavento the rest of the way. Won the B-12 and lost the Fiesta Bowl that season, however the 64-36 mauling of nubs, perhaps lit the fire that burned their program to the ground. Quite a feat for a team that was their "non-rival." Ochs finished his career at Montana. He was a good kid.

If my memory serves correct Ochs played beyond the Fresno State game but got injured midway through 2001 which led to Pesavento coming out of nowhere and leading the Buffs.

Yeah I think this is right. Bobby's first start came at Texas I think.

I think you may be right on that. I do remember that Ochs did get hurt. The Fresno State game was a debacle, I think Ochs threw an interception in the end-zone on a game winning drive.

Yeah, that is a Blue-Chipper that I forgot. I think he was a local 4*. He did have a good Frosh season. As I recall, his 1st start was in the K-State game, and I think he may have run, thrown, and caught a TD in that game, a 1st ever feat. I may be off in the game but he played well that season. Ochs was looking great going into the next season, but CU lost at home to Fresno State and GB basically went with Pesavento the rest of the way. Won the B-12 and lost the Fiesta Bowl that season, however the 64-36 mauling of nubs, perhaps lit the fire that burned their program to the ground. Quite a feat for a team that was their "non-rival." Ochs finished his career at Montana. He was a good kid.

how did nobody catch this???

Back