What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Roberson......

Dude should've been grateful for anything when all he did was hand him a bottle, everyone who has worked in the area knows the proper tip for a drink or a bottle at a bar isn't the same thing. Instead he took to twitter to complain, calling out one of their NBA clients, likely costing them a wealthy customer and possibly thousands all over 13 bucks. For one putting people on blast for their tips shouldn't be allowed, even worse to publicly shame rich clients (which his wealth shouldn't matter), but either way I hope he gets fired for that. The whole percentage thing about tips is dumb and makes no sense for this very reason anyways. The only crime by Dre here is his math skills.
I am always a 20% tipper, and sometimes more, when I am actually having a person taking multiple drink, appetizer, meal, and more drink orders, over the course of an hour or two. That same level of gratuity does not and should not apply to every time you get food/beverage. Honestly, the people making my burrito at Chipotle deserve more of a tip than a bartender handing someone a $500 bottle of liquor and some glasses.

I'm far more embarrassed by Dre's grammar and math skills than his tipping (we're supposed to be pitching CU as a strong academic school!).

Getting off track, but the invent of Square has likely had a profound increase on the volume of tips for services that previously didn't get any – there's a total psychological component to clicking "no tip" on the screen that's dedicated to it. Also, thinking about how many single beverages a bar tender serves in an hours time...assuming a buck tip for each adds up to some serious coin.

I'm always annoyed at the tipping etiquette in situations where there is literally nothing being done for you. The most annoying ones are take out. The receipt has a tip line, and it makes you feel obligated to leave something, even though all the hostess/wait staff did was bring your food out from the kitchen. Coffee shops like Ink have a tip line on their receipts as well, and they leave out two tip jars for cash. All you did was make me a freaking drink; why do you deserve a tip? If Dre and his crew were just at a bar and bought a bottle or two and there wasn't anyone waiting on them, then I fully agree with him not leaving much in the way of a tip. Even giving a 10-15% tip is extra $50-$75 thrown away for nothing.

This is where I admit my mistake. Mis-read your post -specifically the bolded part. I thought you were calling out waiters in general because all they did was "bring your food out from the kitchen". I'll fully admit I'm an over-tipper (I always tip some on take out, and I'll tip on drinks at coffee, etc.), but I know I'm not normal.

So, my bad.

I tend to over-tip for good service. I don't tip on take out or at coffee shops--except when my cousin serves me.

I also tipped a server only $1 because she took the order and got on the phone. She never came back to ask anything. Somebody else brought the meal and I had to find the manager to get a refill for a soda and the bill. I told the manager what had happened. Next time I went there, I was told she had been fired and they were waiting for a customer to complain. She had been counseled about being on the business phone all the time and my complaint was the last straw. They were not busy. I was her only table.

My logic on the whole situation is there is a difference in tip between ordering a round at the bar and ordering a round at the table. If you think I am tipping you a normal amount for twisting the cap off of four beers or pouring 4 whiskey cokes in the matter of seconds I think you are crazy.

I do tip well at the table with a server but if it is okay to charge 20% at the table when the bartender makes the drink and the server brings it to you why wouldn't they expect a drop in the tip when someone orders from the bar? Totally different if I am sitting at the bar BtW and this is mostly about the bull**** club scene.

I'm always annoyed at the tipping etiquette in situations where there is literally nothing being done for you. The most annoying ones are take out. The receipt has a tip line, and it makes you feel obligated to leave something, even though all the hostess/wait staff did was bring your food out from the kitchen. Coffee shops like Ink have a tip line on their receipts as well, and they leave out two tip jars for cash. All you did was make me a freaking drink; why do you deserve a tip? If Dre and his crew were just at a bar and bought a bottle or two and there wasn't anyone waiting on them, then I fully agree with him not leaving much in the way of a tip. Even giving a 10-15% tip is extra $50-$75 thrown away for nothing.

Dre left a $14 tip for the guy handing him a bottle.

I understand the % thing when we are talking about table service in a restaurant. Generally speaking a higher ticket restaurant is going to involve the wait staff spending more time at each table and serving fewer tables. It is also going to imply that they have and can communicate a greater depth of knowledge regarding the menu for customers. There may be more courses to serve and more request for special attention.

The act of passing a bottle had none of that. Dre didn't consult him on the selection, it didn't take a great deal of his time, he didn't have to put out extra effort. I don't know how much he was getting paid or his other tips were but for at most a minute or two of work a $14 tip should be appreciated, not complained about.

Edit: it was $13 but following a $200 tip the guy who complained should be fired. Have a customer like that in your business who spends that kind of money and tips as well and this doofus tries to embarrass him. If I owned the business I would make a public apology and replace the complainer.

Dre gave the guy a $200 tip on a $100 bar tab when he closed the tab, then decided to buy a bottle and rounded up for the guy. This is complete b.s.

Good Lord, just crap. Welcome to the world of people having their hand out for you making something of yourself. I haven't experienced it at that level but when my son's mom found out how much I was making, had to adjust it 3 or 4 times now. He's with me all the time now pretty much, ill give her days here and there if I'm busy. My son sees none of that, her other kids do, that's for damn sure. Dre needs to find another place to hang out.

Dre gave the guy a $200 tip on a $100 bar tab when he closed the tab, then decided to buy a bottle and rounded up for the guy. This is complete b.s.
So ultimately, he gave the guy a $214 tip on a $587 tab, and this idiot bartender has the balls to try to put him on blast. Smfh. Dre should have called the bar out by name and said he wouldn't be going back there.

I am hoping the bartender no longer works there by now. Lots of bars in OKC coming to his defense as well as fans who have run in to Dre in OKC.

I also hope Dre no longer goes there. A server in OKC said where she works, they are not allowed to take photos of this type and she knows her boss would fire her. She said all the Thunder players go where she works and all tip great.

Do you really think that handing a few bottles forward and ringing them up should earn someone $75?
Well, maybe not. But $14? I remember a story about Sergio Garcia and his entourage going to a restaurant in NYC, running up a huge bill, like in the $1,000 range, and leaving no tip.

Good Lord, just crap. Welcome to the world of people having their hand out for you making something of yourself. I haven't experienced it at that level but when my son's mom found out how much I was making, had to adjust it 3 or 4 times now. He's with me all the time now pretty much, ill give her days here and there if I'm busy. My son sees none of that, her other kids do, that's for damn sure. Dre needs to find another place to hang out.
Buffluke is right!

blazing-saddles-300.jpg

I'm just saying why am I giving this to you when I make it and he's with me always? I said I'm aware u have other kids but I might to be their dad first.

My sis was a bartender in Vegas. Good ones work their asses off. They get practically zilch in hourly wages and generally rely on tips for income. It's bull**** when a guy making that much jilts them.

My sis was a bartender in Vegas. Good ones work their asses off. They get practically zilch in hourly wages and generally rely on tips for income. It's bull**** when a guy making that much jilts them.

Did you read the whole story, go back to @buffgal 's post.

This pathetic idiot had already gotten a $200 (yes two hundred, no decimal) tip on a $100 bar tab. He then got an additional $14 for ringing up a bottle. The clown is complaining about getting a $214 tip. He didn't get jilted, he got way overpaid and now I hope he is unemployed, if he worked for me he would be.

I feel as though you still don't understand what actually happened in Dre's situation. Or you are just generally commenting on tipping.

Did you read the whole story, go back to @buffgal 's post.

This pathetic idiot had already gotten a $200 (yes two hundred, no decimal) tip on a $100 bar tab. He then got an additional $14 for ringing up a bottle. The clown is complaining about getting a $214 tip. He didn't get jilted, he got way overpaid and now I hope he is unemployed, if he worked for me he would be.
Thanks. Missed that. My comment still stands in general. Dre is off the hook, haha.

Totally get you on tipping, but Dre is off the hook and the server hopefully is unemployed.

I watched that SA, Thunder game. How SA won, no idea? They were getting killed by 23 at times, maybe more, not sure. Anyway, you can tell Leonard isn't playing. As far as Dre, he still boards and plays D. He's good around the basket scoring wise but he's hesitant to shoot outside still. Russ got pissed off at him at one point. He kicked it out at the end of the shot clock and Dre passed it back. Shot clock violation. He can't do that. He needs to pull the trigger, being scared to won't cut it. I know it's not his game but they expect him to take open looks.

fwiw: a lot of wealthy, good tippers, don't tip on bottles of wine, as the markup is already over 100%. Often, well over.

How is it possible that he is worse from 3 and the ft line this year? Unreal.
Coaches messed with his shooting motion, thinking they could make him more consistent. Ended up ruining his shooting altogether. Just look at his jumper in college compared to now. Nothing natural about his motion now.

Coaches do the same thing in baseball and cause countless arm injuries and flame outs with pitchers.

fwiw: a lot of wealthy, good tippers, don't tip on bottles of wine, as the markup is already over 100%. Often, well over.
A strange thing to bring back up... and Dre had already tipped the dude well. Everyone looking for 15 minutes of twitter fame.

Coaches messed with his shooting motion, thinking they could make him more consistent. Ended up ruining his shooting altogether. Just look at his jumper in college compared to now. Nothing natural about his motion now.

Coaches do the same thing in baseball and cause countless arm injuries and flame outs with pitchers.
That may explain it. Very hard to watch.

Back