What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Rocky Mountain Showdown - News & Updates

The real question is will CSU still want this game when they are in the Big XII?

Mr-Bean-Meme.jpg

I feel shame. :oops:
Walking through the streets naked while the folk pelt you with garbage shame, or tied to a board while being wine-boarded by a hot mature woman before being tortured by an undead zombie shame?

I'm pretty sure I just described @Liver's most recent fantasy. I'm not sure which of the above is it though.

You realize that we do have a 2-1 with UMASS, right?
What in 2021? Great, and is that better for fans than playing CSU? Look at the action this thread is getting - do you think if RG had announced a new series with Idaho that it would have generated more than half a dozen posts?

Perception, mostly. Again, we hold all the cards. I don't think the CSU folks want to be seen as needing this series, even though they do. Accepting a 3-2 is an easier sell, even if there's no difference between that and a 1-1,2-1combo.
Perception and ego shouldn't be driving our scheduling decisions, it should be about money, exposure, and fan experience and I don't see how replacing CSU with some directional school that we can strong-arm into a 2-1 deal accomplishes that.

Interesting conversation surrounding the game. Bottom line for me is I don't care about CSU and so the decision on whether to schedule them comes down to either a football decision or a business decision. The business decision leads to the same conclusion each time. The football one depends on your outlook.

If you assume we must play a team we can beat in non conference then by all means schedule CSU. If you believe we are on our way to rebuilding a national level program, then forget CSU and schedule a 1 and 1 with Nebraska every year...or Michigan or Oklahoma...or well you all get the point.

From a business perspective its all about $$ and there are a lot more places where money can be made. Sheckler did make a good point about short term though. At least they didn't sign a long term deal.

Interesting conversation surrounding the game. Bottom line for me is I don't care about CSU and so the decision on whether to schedule them comes down to either a football decision or a business decision. The business decision leads to the same conclusion each time. The football one depends on your outlook.

If you assume we must play a team we can beat in non conference then by all means schedule CSU. If you believe we are on our way to rebuilding a national level program, then forget CSU and schedule a 1 and 1 with Nebraska every year...or Michigan or Oklahoma...or well you all get the point.

From a business perspective its all about $$ and there are a lot more places where money can be made. Sheckler did make a good point about short term though. At least they didn't sign a long term deal.
You do know we play more than 1 non-conference game every year, right? Playing CSU doesn't preclude us from scheduling Nebraska or Michigan. I wouldn't mind seeing one regional match-up (CSU, AFA,etc), one lower G5 cupcake, and one P5 program every year.

Walking through the streets naked while the folk pelt you with garbage shame, or tied to a board while being wine-boarded by a hot mature woman before being tortured by an undead zombie shame?

I'm pretty sure I just described @Liver's most recent fantasy. I'm not sure which of the above is it though.
Well, when you put it that way... Maybe I'm not feeling shame at all. Perhaps this is something different.

Now I'm just confused. And don't ask what kind of confused. Because I'm pretty sure I don't know the answer to that question either.

Here's a look at college football rivalry games between P5 schools and non-P5 schools:

Arizona v New Mexico - not played annually since Arizona's 1978 move to Pac-10 (six meetings since).
Army v Notre Dame - not played annually. Last meeting in West Point was 1973.
Battle for the Rag (LSU v Tulane) - not played annually. 7 of last 10 meetings in Baton Rouge.
Battle of the Palouse (Idaho v Washington St) - not played annually. Last 5 meetings in Pullman.
Boston College v UMASS - not played annually. 3 of last 5 at BC, one at Foxborough.
Crab Bowl Classic (Maryland v Navy) - not played annually. Played only twice since 1965, both in Baltimore.
East Carolina v NC State - not played annually. 6 meetings since 2000. 1 in Charlotte, 3 in Raleigh, 2 in Greenville.
Georgia Tech v Tulane - not played annually. 2 meetings since 1982. One each in New Orleans and Atlanta.
Holy War (BYU v Utah) - became a non-conference game in 2011. Played in home stadiums on home-home basis.
Memphis v Ole Miss - not played annually. Played on home-home basis when it is scheduled.
Navy v Notre Dame - annual. Played "home-home" continuously since 1927, but never actually in Annapolis (Navy schedules this home game at larger stadiums).
New Mexico v Utah - not played annually. Discontinued when Utah moved to Pac-12.
Ole Miss v Tulane - not played annually. 3 meetings since 2000. 1 in Oxford, 2 in New Orleans.
Rocky Mountain Showdown (CU v CSU) - annual since 1995. Played in Ft Collins once since 1989, 6 in Boulder, remainder in Denver.
SMU v TCU - annual. Home-home series.
Utah v Utah St - annual. Discontinued following 2015. Was a home-home series.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Navy-Notre Dame, BYU-Utah, CU-CSU, and SMU-TCU are the only currently active rivalry games between P5 and non-P5 schools.
Navy-Notre Dame has almost 90 years of history behind it and is sacred to both schools. That rivalry is here to stay.
BYU-Utah only became a non-conference game in 2011 after 88 years in the same conference, and Utah has tried to kill it. They are on schedule for games through 2020, but may break after that.
SMU-TCU shared a conference for 85 years (TIAA, SWC, WAC) from 1915 through 2000. Their contract expires after the 2017 game, and has yet to be renewed.

CU and CSU haven't been in the same conference for 68 years (since 1948). There is no history of CU or CSU bailing each other out during hard times such as times of war like Navy did for Notre Dame. These games just don't happen anymore with annual regularity, and when they do they aren't 10-20 year home-home contracts or locked to a neutral site.

Giving CSU an annual home-home series, or one that puts us in a neutral location, cheapens the CU brand. If we continue to play them, it should be a 2-1 contract for us, we should retain television coverage rights to ALL games of the series (to keep us off of CBS Sports Net), and they should thank us for doing them those favors.

Strong post by @BuffaloSoldier76

Some others include Stanford vs San Jose State and West Virginia vs Marshall. Both of those have died.

CU vs CSU should not be an annual game. If RG wants to sign a 4-game deal that's not in consecutive years, not a big deal. But this can't be an annual game any more.

Agree with 76 here. This game should not be an annual event. I get the 1 for 1 right now but that dynamic has to change as we dig out of this decade long hole we have been in. 3 for 2 or 2 for 1 or let it die.

I know we are not in the days of taking on anyone anywhere and feeling like we can win but damn it that is where this program needs to get to. Bring in the P5 teams 1 for 1 once we turn the corner. Take the wins now if it requires the 1 for 1 but have a vision and plan to get away from it.

And lastly, play the rammies 3 times or less every 10 years. Short term deals for now. Long term is not necessary

I do.

On the face of it (outside of Colorado) it appears to be a rivalry game. And at a time of year where all the games are Alabama v Sisters of the Blind. Easy pick up for national TV. Easy too to get the attention of those biased east coast poll voters. Playing this game annually actually makes it appear important.

I do.

On the face of it (outside of Colorado) it appears to be a rivalry game. And at a time of year where all the games are Alabama v Sisters of the Blind. Easy pick up for national TV. Easy too to get the attention of those biased east coast poll voters. Playing this game annually actually makes it appear important.
There are actually some big games in week one of the season... Just not on Friday, which is why they relegate the RMS to the worst night of the week for college football.

Rediculous assessment.

Many CU fans have a once in a lifetime opportunity to visit the AFA campus. These same CU fans may be current or former service members, or have relatives who served, and/or honor our soldiers, marines, sailors and airmen on Memorial Day, Veterans Day, 4th of July, and other occations where respect and dignity are implied. I've even seen CU fans take off their hat at the beginning of games in Folsom for the singing of the national anthem.

The world has changed since CU and AFA clashed due to Viet Nam war tensions in the early 70's.
Disagree with the once in a lifetime (queue Talking Heads) part. CFB fans in state should get there -- awesome environment, great family atmosphere, great tradition. Even if the Buffs aren't playing. Plan on doing Garden of the God's or Pikes or Mueller SP or Manitou Springs and make it a full day or weekend.

Preston Hodges and Blake Nowland officially off the team. Their DL and Secondary is trash. And Douglas County has a legendary bust rate. Near 100%

Preston Hodges and Blake Nowland officially off the team. Their DL and Secondary is trash. And Douglas County has a legendary bust rate. Near 100%
Not sure but I think D.C. has a ton of kids that peak early. They have (had) one of the best strength and conditioning programs in the state that starts in middle school and their teams always seemed more developed than most others.

I know there are CU fans that will never feel good about the CSU game, but this is one year where they just simply don't match up.
The only reason I worry is because we usually struggle with physcial offensive lines but hopefully Tupou and a bigger, improved Carrell can buck that trend.

I know there are CU fans that will never feel good about the CSU game, but this is one year where they just simply don't match up.
I feel ok about this game; I'm just surprised about Slider's optimism. Not his usual shtick.

That said (credit to BuffLuke) we haven't truly stomped them since 2010. Give me that and I'll start beaking about how they're 'trash' too.

Last edited:

Where have I heard that one before....

If we can't run on that DL, we should probably just not play the other games of our season.

BL: I know, let's run a triple reverse on the goal line, they'll never suspect that.

Forgot Vaden moved to defense. I used to play bball with him at the Thornton rec but he hasn't been coming around as much.

The only reason I worry is because we usually struggle with physcial offensive lines but hopefully Tupou and a bigger, improved Carrell can buck that trend.
The OL is definitely the strength of their team, but the defense should be ours and, like you said, if Tupou and Carrell are what we need and expect them to be, we should be fine. Also, I really like our LBs for at least week one..

Back