What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Scoreboards

Except your ratios in the MS Paint version are wrong, what we have is much taller than wide. I agree it would have been better to put this on its side as in your picture, and that would also have kept the same cross-section for wind purposes, but it would also have cost more. To be more accurate, you need to add 2-3 more bands to your screen to be used for something besides the game video. Or maybe the plan is to have two game videos going on at the same time - there is enough room for that.

This is what I tried to address in post #392. But I've done a bit more research now and have some better data. The specs from the design documents say that the south board is to be 28 feet 4.5 inches high by 34 feet wide, assuming that the ribbon board directly underneath is not used to display "video". Given a 16:9 aspect ratio and the 34 foot width, that means that 19.1 feet is the height of the displayed video. This means that the portion that displays the score, time, etc would be about 9 feet tall. Assuming that the total height of the new setup is the same as the old, my calculations put the old score portion at about 8.5 feet, which makes the 9 foot number seem reasonable/likely.

The upshot of all of this is that this board most likely IS 16:9. The picture would be about 34'x19' and the portion above that displays the score and downs and all of that jazz would take up the remaining 9 vertical feet or so of display. Now quit arguing about this.

Has anyone emailed Plati about what the aspect ratio is? We'll get our answer in about 5 mins.
oh, you can definitely MAKE the board 16:9... but only by using a ton of space on other stuff. Basically stuff that should be going on the ribbon boards.

oh, you can definitely MAKE the board 16:9... but only by using a ton of space on other stuff. Basically stuff that should be going on the ribbon boards.

Yeah, why not use the ribbon board beneath the video board to display time/score/etc. and use the entire video board for video? It doesn't make sense to waste that space.

Yeah, why not use the ribbon board beneath the video board to display time/score/etc. and use the entire video board for video? It doesn't make sense to waste that space.

Cause ribbon boards are for ads.

Right now, it would be 1/3 Score/Ads/Clock. This is too large and space that should be used on ribbon boards.

I think the South board is mainly a compliment to the North board

My take too....given the North board is going to increase in size significantly (or at least what I've heard from you wahoos), not sure I get the hate on the South board....not many stadiums have 2 massive boards, but pretty much all of them have 1 larger board and 1 smaller (yet not that small) board

Given that I've never had issues seeing what happened in the replays via the old boards, even given the ****** pixels....I'm thinking these will be just fine and will leave my hate emails for the AD for important things like any hesitation to the large scale facility expansions

You people are weird - let's see them in action before all the complaining begins.

And there are changes - the ribbons below the boards.

Wow, pages of new video board specification criticism and analysis based on unfinished video boards. I swear, if Mike Bohn sneezes wrong, there will be instant whining by some people on here. Some people really need to get a life...that and the season needs to start.

This thread is proof that some people will never be satisifed.

My take too....given the North board is going to increase in size significantly (or at least what I've heard from you wahoos), not sure I get the hate on the South board....not many stadiums have 2 massive boards, but pretty much all of them have 1 larger board and 1 smaller (yet not that small) board

Given that I've never had issues seeing what happened in the replays via the old boards, even given the ****** pixels....I'm thinking these will be just fine and will leave my hate emails for the AD for important things like any hesitation to the large scale facility expansions

We are all arseholes.

Huf's math is correct. As far as total area goes, approximately 14 of the 34 vertical feet available will be used for non-replay applications. Of that 14 feet, 5 feet is ribbon board and about 9 feet will consist of "game info." Personally, I think this is fine. It gives us the 16:9 aspect ration everyone is clamoring for with MASSIVELY upgraded picture quality, retains an almost identical footprint to minimize cost/engineering trouble, and adds up to money in the bank.

Cause ribbon boards are for ads.

This. The potential is there to make A LOT more money with dynamic advertising. The ability to change advertisers instantly means no more physical signage and the ability to scroll through multiple ads per game. That means more more advertisers and more money. In the end, I bet that this upgrade will pay for itself over time. I think I heard Mike Bohn saying this exact same thing regarding the ribbon board in the video upgrade at Coors.

Also, the north end is going to be MASSIVE compared to the way it used to be. That board is going to be 34 feet tall and 52 feet wide, almost twice as large as before. Also, those numbers will not get chopped down because the ribbon board beneath will be displaying the game info (or at least that's how it is in the mockup in the design specs document). That's also pretty close to 16:9. The north board is going to end up being almost 50% larger than the entire south board PLUS the ribbon board underneath it. That is where most of the eyes are gonna be.

All in all, I'm with dply. Quit complaining until we see how they actually look and how BuffVision utilizes them.

pissing and moaning is strong in this thread. if you want to to bitch about something stay focused on the crappy audio system we have until they announce it is replaced!

Any news on an indoor practice facility? That would be a much better recruiting tool than a new scoreboard.

Any news on an indoor practice facility? That would be a much better recruiting tool than a new scoreboard.
Yes, but the scoreboards were a negative recruiting tool. A recruit would see the giant green dead patches on the old ones and they would gain a terrible impression.
A recruit will likely not think anything of the new scoreboards, that is good.

Huf's math is correct. As far as total area goes, approximately 14 of the 34 vertical feet available will be used for non-replay applications. Of that 14 feet, 5 feet is ribbon board and about 9 feet will consist of "game info." Personally, I think this is fine. It gives us the 16:9 aspect ration everyone is clamoring for with MASSIVELY upgraded picture quality, retains an almost identical footprint to minimize cost/engineering trouble, and adds up to money in the bank.

This. The potential is there to make A LOT more money with dynamic advertising. The ability to change advertisers instantly means no more physical signage and the ability to scroll through multiple ads per game. That means more more advertisers and more money. In the end, I bet that this upgrade will pay for itself over time. I think I heard Mike Bohn saying this exact same thing regarding the ribbon board in the video upgrade at Coors.

Too bad those are fugly and will now get in the way of all our championship banners

I and the 16:9 crowd are Persecuted, Unappreciated and Hen-Pecked. Also misunderstood. :sad1:

Exactly.

I've kept my mouth shut, but want it to be known that this camp is probably bigger than just the vocal bunch. If die hard fans could be critical, imagine spoiled recruits and casual or visiting fans.

When I buy a new tv, I buy one that might not be the top of the line, but it's able to do everything up to the current standard and I make sure it will be relevant for the next five years plus. I don't have my grandpa pick out my tv since I don't watch Judge Judy in 4:3 like he does.

Plus, if I'm gonna be spending getting rid of a **** screen and spending top dollar to replace it, it had better kick ass.

Having a board that tall & not wide is just plain stupid. Hopefully it kicks ass and works out, but I am a bit concerned. Has anyone found an example of a board with full on video capability with that strange shape?

Some of you people are going to look ridiculous come fall :lol:

Do you really think that even our AD would drop $7MM on new boards and not review all of this?

Do you really think that even our AD would drop $7MM on new boards and not review all of this?

Tells you what most Buff fans think about the competence and decision-making of CU officials, does it not?

There's a lot of work to be done before they have earned back the trust of the fans.

Well, I think our "supreme outrage" is being blown out of proportion. I'm not outraged, just disappointed in what they are doing with the south board. Doesn't mean I'm not happy something got done. I'm just insulted I wasn't consulted I think :lol:

Apparently they believe that everyone in our AD and administration came to us with a degree in mouthbreathing from kNebraska based on the conclusions that are being jumped to in this thread.

I wrote that hopefully it kicks ass. And yes, I do think our AD could do such a thing, especially if they thought of them as dynamic advertising boards vs. replay boards.

Anyway, it's the offseason, the time to be overly optimistic or pessimistic. I just want the absolute best for the school I love, and there's nothing wrong with that.

Apparently they believe that everyone in our AD and administration came to us with a degree in mouthbreathing from kNebraska based on the conclusions that are being jumped to in this thread.

there is no mouthbreathing degree at braska. It is just an elective.

Tells you what most Buff fans think about the competence and decision-making of CU officials, does it not?

There's a lot of work to be done before they have earned back the trust of the fans.

Yep. I feel like I've been punched in the gut too many times while down and need the trust to be earned back.

I thought the $7M is to re-engineer the wind that blows down off the mountain in a way that justifies a 4:3 ratio.

And their might be some loose ends on that fancy rebranding work.

All remains pretty quiet on the video board front over here, except for a few distant rumbles of thunder off to the northeast (or maybe that's just grumbling from this thread, I'm not 100% sure). There's some work still happening on the south board but it's all going on on the outside of Folsom. It's pretty much just a matter of connecting it up to the control room now I think so no pics today. The north end is still getting prepped. I got a close up of some of the new (I think) wiring and cables. There's some new stuff scattered around by the field level board as well so hopefully that gets done soon too.

IMG_0099.jpg

IMG_0100.jpg

IMG_0101.jpg

Well, I think our "supreme outrage" is being blown out of proportion. I'm not outraged, just disappointed in what they are doing with the south board. Doesn't mean I'm not happy something got done. I'm just insulted I wasn't consulted I think :lol:

Agree. I think the new boards are going to be a huge improvement over the crap we had. My only issue was I think they should have made the south board larger than it was.

Agree. I think the new boards are going to be a huge improvement over the crap we had. My only issue was I think they should have made the south board larger than it was.

That's been part of the main concern. Wow.

Back