What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Scott denies report

OK, just playing Devil's Advocate here: Did Sumler, then, not fulfill his part of the contract?

96's point stands. even if there is good reasoning behind his decision, its still a bad decision.

I believe he's been in the program 4 seasons total - played 3, 1 RS year. He graduates in 4 at the end of this semester.

I may be wrong, but I don't believe Sumler used a redshirt; I think he played as a true frosh.

We're not seeing everything here. I wish I could be the proverbial fly-on-the-wall.

I may be wrong, but I don't believe Sumler used a redshirt; I think he played as a true frosh.

We're not seeing everything here. I wish I could be the proverbial fly-on-the-wall.

I think he was a RS frosh...if he had played as a true frosh, he would have used up his 4 years of playing time, and we wouldn't be having this discussion.

I agree, should have let him stay on this semester before removing the schollie. It's not like he had anyone else to give it to. Maybe make a deal with Sumler that if he lets him keep the schollie then he expects him to pass his courses (Sumler should at least hold up that side of the bargain), and if he agrees to that keep him on. Definitely looks like a petty move.

Scholarships are for one year only. They aren't 5 to play 4 or anything of the sort.

Scholarships are for one year only. They aren't 5 to play 4 or anything of the sort.
Yeah, I know they are renewed each year. But, in essence, they pay for 5 years of school and require the player to play 4 seasons. You are really talking about semantics here. Look at Jake Behrens for instance. He got his Masters degree paid for.

Yeah, I know they are renewed each year. But, in essence, they pay for 5 years of school and require the player to play 4 seasons. You are really talking about semantics here. Look at Jake Behrens for instance. He got his Masters degree paid for.

Sumler redshirted in 2006. He played in 2007, 2008 and 2009. He gave the program 4 years. Scholarships are generally granted for a full school year, and Sumler played last fall. Regardless of what his plans are for next year, it doesn't justify denying him half the scholarship he EARNED on the field this year....

:hijacked:Not that I think we care at this point, but I believe we've had a classic thread jack happen over the last 15 or so posts! :smile2:

Do graduating seniors still participate in football activities in the spring? If they do, then by quitting the team Sumler has decided not to do these activities and is not holding up his end of the deal. This is the only situation in which I could see this whole situation being ok. If graduating seniors don't participate in spring activities (conditioning, practice, mentoring, etc.) in any way then I agree with the majority that this is ridiculous and vindictive BUT if there is some obligation that Sumler set aside when he left the team, then he should not continue to receive an award for service NOT rendered.

It's a football scholarship...he is no longer playing football...why should he be on scholarship?

Do graduating seniors still participate in football activities in the spring? If they do, then by quitting the team Sumler has decided not to do these activities and is not holding up his end of the deal. This is the only situation in which I could see this whole situation being ok. If graduating seniors don't participate in spring activities (conditioning, practice, mentoring, etc.) in any way then I agree with the majority that this is ridiculous and vindictive BUT if there is some obligation that Sumler set aside when he left the team, then he should not continue to receive an award for service NOT rendered.
If this is how they look at it fine. But don't ever try to sell me on the student-athlete fable again. You want support? You want people to pay premium ticket prices? Then get out there and win... You can't have it both ways.

That is part of the problem here. The AD charges near NFL prices, and the team gets shellacked on the field. Then they run and hide behind the "Your Team"/Student-athlete mantras. Then turn around and jerk the scholly of the poster boy for "student-athlete".

I don't know why I expect anything out of these people anymore...

Last edited:

No.

After they have played their four seasons of football, they are no longer eligible to participate in spring football, work with coaches, etc.

I heard Hawk left it to the team and they said no, not to mention DS still apearantly has had no contact with Hagan

This is all "heard" but im guessing there is truth in most of the comments. Vic Lombardi was questioned on Twitter about his announcement and he replied back with his source is impeccable. DS ends up denying it afterwards, which makes me believe that the team rejected him and then when he is questioned he says its a lie. I dont know, sounds a little believable. Maybe Hawk and hagan didnt want him. All I do know is when you quit a team that never goes over well and usually dont want you back.Especially when you have done anything anyway

Has anyone considered - with regard to Sumler - that it is to the player's benefit to be released from scholarship if he is trying to transfer and make it to the new team on time for Spring Practice? Just askin...

So Sumler appeals the decision? That makes no sense. If they were doing him a favor, he wouldn't be appealing it.

I had hoped that somehow or another Scott would reenter the fold but that door now appears to be shut. Time to move on then. As for Sumler I have to agree that his scholarship is no longer valid, like many scholarships there are certain qualifications to one must adhere to in order to keep receiving that scholarship. In Sumler's case he was obligated to play football for the school in order to maintain his scholarship and since he still has eligibilty remaining to play football and forfeited the football obligation then Hawkins was in his right to cancel the scholarship. I think it sucks, but what concerns me the most if the lack of mentorship on that team. Looking at these situations from the outside it almost seems that these kids are making all these decisions without anyone offering any insight or valuble knowledge. As in the Scott situation it seems unlkely that no one knew he felt like leaving the team until it was too late. Where was someone that he could have trned to and expressed his discomfort? Maybe I am way off base but this seems to be turning into some sort of plauge.

I had hoped that somehow or another Scott would reenter the fold but that door now appears to be shut. Time to move on then. As for Sumler I have to agree that his scholarship is no longer valid, like many scholarships there are certain qualifications to one must adhere to in order to keep receiving that scholarship. In Sumler's case he was obligated to play football for the school in order to maintain his scholarship and since he still has eligibilty remaining to play football and forfeited the football obligation then Hawkins was in his right to cancel the scholarship. I think it sucks, but what concerns me the most if the lack of mentorship on that team. Looking at these situations from the outside it almost seems that these kids are making all these decisions without anyone offering any insight or valuble knowledge. As in the Scott situation it seems unlkely that no one knew he felt like leaving the team until it was too late. Where was someone that he could have trned to and expressed his discomfort? Maybe I am way off base but this seems to be turning into some sort of plauge.

Is this a sonnet?

It's a football scholarship...he is no longer playing football...why should he be on scholarship?

Riar Geer is no longer playing football. Jake Behrens is no longer playing football. Shaun Mohler is no longer playing football. Do they have scholarships this semester?

Don't give me the argument about his plans to transfer after the season. This year's scholarship isn't, or at least shouldn't be, contingent on what the player is going to do next year.... :huh:

Riar Geer is no longer playing football. Jake Behrens is no longer playing football. Shaun Mohler is no longer playing football. Do they have scholarships this semester?

Don't give me the argument about his plans to transfer after the season. This year's scholarship isn't, or at least shouldn't be, contingent on what the player is going to do next year.... :huh:

did the players you mention fulfill their football obligations in return for their scholarship (regardless of results on the field:))? I say yes. Sumler quit the team, a team he is on only by scholarship, therefore that scholarship goes away when he leaves the team and doesn't fulfill his obligation. If you take a job handing out girlie cards on the strip in Vegas and you show up on the strip but refuse to hand out any cards, will you get paid?

did the players you mention fulfill their football obligations in return for their scholarship (regardless of results on the field:))? I say yes. Sumler quit the team, a team he is on only by scholarship, therefore that scholarship goes away when he leaves the team and doesn't fulfill his obligation. If you take a job handing out girlie cards on the strip in Vegas and you show up on the strip but refuse to hand out any cards, will you get paid?

So the fact that Sumler DID NOT play football during his freshman year is the entire difference here?

Weak.

Sumler did just as much as Geer, Mohler, Behrens, etc. over the past four years.

Sorry, Junc, the Geer/Mohler/Behrens situations are different. They've exhausted their eligibility to play. As far as I know they can't participate in the spring even if they wanted to. Sumler hasn't - he still has a year of eiigibility, thanks to the scholarship from CU, but he's chosen not to participate.

I realize that any number of players attain their degrees and still have eligibility remaining. Most take a few more classes and return for their last season. Not uncommon. What's uncommon is a young man, with eligibility remaining and degree in sight, deciding to leave and take his eligibility somewhere else.

I don't have anything against Sumler or his decision, but by the same token, I don't have any problem with the schollie being pulled. I view this as I would any other player deciding to transfer - untie the knot and let them go.

I've said this before.....I think there's more to this than any of us know.

Sorry, Junc, the Geer/Mohler/Behrens situations are different. They've exhausted their eligibility to play. As far as I know they can't participate in the spring even if they wanted to. Sumler hasn't - he still has a year of eiigibility, thanks to the scholarship from CU, but he's chosen not to participate.

I realize that any number of players attain their degrees and still have eligibility remaining. Most take a few more classes and return for their last season. Not uncommon. What's uncommon is a young man, with eligibility remaining and degree in sight, deciding to leave and take his eligibility somewhere else.

I don't have anything against Sumler or his decision, but by the same token, I don't have any problem with the schollie being pulled. I view this as I would any other player deciding to transfer - untie the knot and let them go.

I've said this before.....I think there's more to this than any of us know.

Two players begin classes at CU on the exact same day.
One player redshirts. The other does not.

True senior, after playing four years of football, has exhausted his eligibility, can never play for CU again - gets to complete his degree at CU on scholarship.
Redshirt junior, after the same length of time, still has eligibility - but somehow is not longer entitled to attend CU on scholarship.

WTF???

Two players begin classes at CU on the exact same day.
One player redshirts. The other does not.

True senior, after playing four years of football, has exhausted his eligibility, can never play for CU again - gets to complete his degree at CU on scholarship.
Redshirt junior, after the same length of time, still has eligibility - but somehow is not longer entitled to attend CU on scholarship.

WTF???

I figured I'd take some shots for my post. That's okay, we're just interweb scum spewing our thoughts, right?

The way I see it colonel is that he has chosen to use his playing eligibility somewhere other than CU. He was awarded fincncial aid for attending classes in exchange for playing a sport. He has now decided to not play the sport for the school who awarded him the scholarship.

I would have been okay if the staff/ad had decided to let him keep the scholarship for the last semester. However, I'm also okay with the schollie being pulled (to be used for someone else). Besides, there may be something in the works from the school (thru the ad?) to get him financial help to finish the last semester -- who knows?

I just wished that I/we/someone knew all the facts so we could stop speculating.....

this will probably be wildly unpopular and maybe set all kinds of dangerous precedents letting the evil, liberal "academics" decide....but i think the kid has a right to finish his education since his scholly is on a yearly and not semester based evaluation. academic year, not calendar year. and that it ought to be a matter based in more than what the HC decides when his little Napoleon from the Buddhist mountain project fails.

Back