What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Sefo

According to coach:

Sefo practiced some yesterday and more today. Moving around better still. "Liked his tape job better today". Sefo avoided the high ankle sprain, but has a pretty good sprain (likely grade II). Feeling encouraged that he will play, but still game time decision. Every day he has made progress but you never know how things will go over night. "Pretty dadgum tough."

I appreciate you gent's opinion but you could splice tape from the last 100 broadcasts together and it would look like it was done on one Saturday, Hell I would rather watch Boo Hoo Lou then Corso the hack

Said Montez has been getting almost all of the 1st team snaps so I think we will be prepared either way. I agree though. Sefo starts this game.

Our best case scenario, obviously, is that it works out so that Sefo is healthy enough to perform well while Montez got the experience of what it's like to prepare as a starter. Best chance to win and should help Montez's development.

Our best case scenario, obviously, is that it works out so that Sefo is healthy enough to perform well while Montez got the experience of what it's like to prepare as a starter. Best chance to win and should help Montez's development.

As NC said, I wouldn't mind Montez starting actually. Give him a relatively short leash, based on the performance of the offense and see what happens. If the offense is ineffective after a couple of drives, put in Sefo. If it works leave him in let Sefo rest.

Having Sefo healthy enough to play puts us in a very very good spot this week.

Also be very helpful to Montez to get some real game time with a game plan designed for what he knows and does. Let him be more comfortable with what he is asked to do.

Yeah, you have to go with Sefo to start. The other way around is a confidence nightmare.

Montez is getting 1st team reps, he's going to prepare as the starter, and if it works out that Sefo can't go, he will start. That's a lot of experience in and of itself, and hopefully that will help in the offense's familiarity/confidence in him. But if you can go with Sefo, you do it.

I believe Sefo is building such a rep he will be with Kordell and Hagan as all time Buff great QBs.

I don't think he can enter that pantheon without a single winning season or bowl game. If this year turns out to be as successful as we hope it can be, then absolutely he will.

As NC said, I wouldn't mind Montez starting actually. Give him a relatively short leash, based on the performance of the offense and see what happens. If the offense is ineffective after a couple of drives, put in Sefo. If it works leave him in let Sefo rest.

Having Sefo healthy enough to play puts us in a very very good spot this week.

That doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. If Sefo's healthy enough to play, you start him. Why take the chance of Montez struggling and putting us in a hole early? Especially if Oregon is playing well. We could be looking at a 14-0 deficit before Sefo even takes the field. It's like bringing in your closer with two guys on base and no outs in the 9th. Just let him start the inning.

That doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. If Sefo's healthy enough to play, you start him. Why take the chance of Montez struggling and putting us in a hole early? Especially if Oregon is playing well. We could be looking at a 14-0 deficit before Sefo even takes the field. It's like bringing in your closer with two guys on base and no outs in the 9th. Just let him start the inning.

My plan is based on having faith in our defense to slow UO down. Counting on them to keep UO from scoring that quickly so we have time to see what we have.

Either way the discussion is moot. If Sefo can go, no way he doesn't start.

If Sefo can go, of course he should go. It would be crazy not to start him.

I don't even know why that's a debate.

It's the same at every position. If Tupou sprained his ankle, he'd start the next week if he could. Then, if he struggled on it the defense would have the backup plan prepared. This is just normal, whether we are talking about QB or any other spot.

I like Lee. It's more fun when he is on there. I used to be the other way, but I've learned to appreciate the guys like Vitale and Corso with their schtick. Realization hit me when Madden retired and I realized how dry and boring NFL broadcasts were compared to what he had brought. It's too corporate without the characters, even when their acts start to get tired. JMO
Exactly, Lee and Vitale are about the only thins I like about ESPN.

My gut says start him but I have a question for those of you that know a lot more about this than me. what is the impact of him sitting out/getting limited reps this week?

I would assume it means that anything new that the OC's install he will have limited experience with and is less likely to use in the game. Montez would likely have the edge on any pieces they added for Oregon unless of course you assume that Sefo is so far ahead of Motez skills and "head for the game" wise that Sefo can get it down pat by reading it and Montez can't get it with repetition.

Additionally, does Montez have any wheels at all? Do we really feel that limited Sefo is more mobile than fully healthy Montez?

Again, not arguing one way or the other. Personally the only way I wouldn't start Sefo is if he told me he couldn't go. If that man says he can play I'd hand him the ball and get the door for him.

My gut says start him but I have a question for those of you that know a lot more about this than me. what is the impact of him sitting out/getting limited reps this week?

I would assume it means that anything new that the OC's install he will have limited experience with and is less likely to use in the game. Montez would likely have the edge on any pieces they added for Oregon unless of course you assume that Sefo is so far ahead of Motez skills and "head for the game" wise that Sefo can get it down pat by reading it and Montez can't get it with repetition.

Additionally, does Montez have any wheels at all? Do we really feel that limited Sefo is more mobile than fully healthy Montez?

Again, not arguing one way or the other. Personally the only way I wouldn't start Sefo is if he told me he couldn't go. If that man says he can play I'd hand him the ball and get the door for him.
What's your question?

Sefo has played UO 3 times already. I am sure he knows what they are going to be doing. As far as new stuff our offense is installing, Sefo has been in meetings and at practices watching and learning and practicing to some small degree.

Montez is faster than Sefo which would make him naturally more mobile, however Montez does not fully understand the read option yet so that advantage is negated.

Doubt they are installing anything "new" anyways.

What they will be installing is stuff that was done in fall camp that hasn't been used in earlier games or things that have been used with specific adjustments for Oregon. Sefo will be at least familiar with everything they are doing and as a 3 yr starter the adjustments won't be hard for him to get.

Back