What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Sefo

My gut says start him but I have a question for those of you that know a lot more about this than me. what is the impact of him sitting out/getting limited reps this week?

I would assume it means that anything new that the OC's install he will have limited experience with and is less likely to use in the game. Montez would likely have the edge on any pieces they added for Oregon unless of course you assume that Sefo is so far ahead of Motez skills and "head for the game" wise that Sefo can get it down pat by reading it and Montez can't get it with repetition.

Additionally, does Montez have any wheels at all? Do we really feel that limited Sefo is more mobile than fully healthy Montez?

Again, not arguing one way or the other. Personally the only way I wouldn't start Sefo is if he told me he couldn't go. If that man says he can play I'd hand him the ball and get the door for him.

All good points. Which is why you start Sefo if he can go. If he isn't right, you bring Montez in after things have settled down a bit, he's not as nervous as he'd be starting, and CU's offensive coaches have a feel for what Oregon is doing in their defensive game plan.

At this point, I think you run with Sefo and just not run any read-option or power option plays. He is killing it right now and we need that veteran QB that can pick apart a vulnerable Oregon D.

Sefo has played UO 3 times already. I am sure he knows what they are going to be doing. As far as new stuff our offense is installing, Sefo has been in meetings and at practices watching and learning and practicing to some small degree.

Montez is faster than Sefo which would make him naturally more mobile, however Montez does not fully understand the read option yet so that advantage is negated.
To nitpick: Sefo has only played 6 quarters against UO. Connor Wood played against them in 2013 and Gehrke started in 2014 with Sefo only coming in for the second half.

Fair. I forgot about that Gehrke game. That was so ****ing dumb.
Sefo wasn't playing well when they started Gehrke against OU. In retrospect, I believe it gave Sefo a chance to not get slaughtered and think about what he needed to do better. We weren't winning that game anyway, so not a bad decision.

Sefo wasn't playing well when they started Gehrke against OU. In retrospect, I believe it gave Sefo a chance to not get slaughtered and think about what he needed to do better. We weren't winning that game anyway, so not a bad decision.
Sefo was under concussion protocol but was cleared to play. They went with Gehrke to save Sefo from getting manhandled but when Gehrke couldn't move the ball an inch they said screw it and Sefo got the call...if I remember correctly

Sefo was under concussion protocol but was cleared to play. They went with Gehrke to save Sefo from getting manhandled but when Gehrke couldn't move the ball an inch they said screw it and Sefo got the call...if I remember correctly
Sounds like we agree with what happened in that game from a coaching perspective.

Sefo's gotten a lot of undeserved **** in his career but can we just enjoy who Sefo is and enjoy that he's playing well and hope he keeps it up rather than riding a high horse about it? Sefo's career will hopefully one day speak for itself.
Believe me, it's nothing personal. I expressed it because I have an issue with targeting him (no pun intended) for last year's bigger picture issues that he wasn't directly causing (O-line protection, receiver drops, play calling, possibly some starters that either weren't that mature or maybe even weren't selling out completely for the program/direction due to a variety of factors). I don't take anything away from Webb's accomplishments and talent, but when I consider who we need as QB1 to fight through the dismal years until the program is on solid ground, Sefo's the guy. He fought through a lot of crap last year, and I'm not about to add to it or let others either. So I understand that I get to say this in hindsight, but we gotta stick with who's tried and true Buffs. Webb mostly wants into the NFL. Sefo wants to give rise to the Buffs. And that gets my respect. I want someone under center who is focused on one thing--the rise and keeping it real. And that's what this program needs. I swear that son of a gun $hits buffalo chips. He bleeds (literally) black and gold. Most of us actually just wear black and gold. So when he gets quick calls from fans to bench him, I gotta say something.

Sefo has been lighting it up since USC last year. That means he's had 4 straight monster games over 10 month period. We should now expect him to be good/great every time out.

Believe me, it's nothing personal. I expressed it because I have an issue with targeting him (no pun intended) for last year's bigger picture issues that he wasn't directly causing (O-line protection, receiver drops, play calling, possibly some starters that either weren't that mature or maybe even weren't selling out completely for the program/direction due to a variety of factors). I don't take anything away from Webb's accomplishments and talent, but when I consider who we need as QB1 to fight through the dismal years until the program is on solid ground, Sefo's the guy. He fought through a lot of crap last year, and I'm not about to add to it or let others either. So I understand that I get to say this in hindsight, but we gotta stick with who's tried and true Buffs. Webb mostly wants into the NFL. Sefo wants to give rise to the Buffs. And that gets my respect. I want someone under center who is focused on one thing--the rise and keeping it real. And that's what this program needs. I swear that son of a gun $hits buffalo chips. He bleeds (literally) black and gold. Most of us actually just wear black and gold. So when he gets quick calls from fans to bench him, I gotta say something.
I don't think anybody is calling for him to be benched

My gut says start him but I have a question for those of you that know a lot more about this than me. what is the impact of him sitting out/getting limited reps this week?

I would assume it means that anything new that the OC's install he will have limited experience with and is less likely to use in the game. Montez would likely have the edge on any pieces they added for Oregon unless of course you assume that Sefo is so far ahead of Motez skills and "head for the game" wise that Sefo can get it down pat by reading it and Montez can't get it with repetition.

Additionally, does Montez have any wheels at all? Do we really feel that limited Sefo is more mobile than fully healthy Montez?

Again, not arguing one way or the other. Personally the only way I wouldn't start Sefo is if he told me he couldn't go. If that man says he can play I'd hand him the ball and get the door for him.
Montez has better wheels than Sefo.

If Sefo can go, no question you roll with that imho. That said, I'd hate to be running him as much as usual. Their call but not the best idea ever. Cutting on it is what I'm worried about mostly. Stepping into throws as well might be trouble. Hope not, we shall see.

Going into this season I thought it's ok to have Sefo run on ocassion, but have not understood the coaches passion for running him as much as they have. Why? Put a bit more effort in the running game with the tailbacks, fullback, even receivers. Keep the QB off the dirt guys, geez.

Going into this season I thought it's ok to have Sefo run on ocassion, but have not understood the coaches passion for running him as much as they have. Why? Put a bit more effort in the running game with the tailbacks, fullback, even receivers. Keep the QB off the dirt guys, geez.
Sefo is good at it and it keeps defenses off balance. I know he takes more hits that way, but we need to run an offense that incorporates our players strengths and the QB run is one of them.

Once again, I'm sitting at breakfast at my neighborhood cafe and laughing my head off.

When asked, Mac said having Sefo run really opens up the other things they want to do...and apparently they feel they need to run him as often as they do. I'm guessing they know more than I do about it.

Because the tailbacks are not very good.

Back