What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Shedeur Sanders - 2023-24 Tracking History Thread

Diante Lee of The Athletic currently has Shedeur rated as a round 3-5 pick.

Shedeur will always have guys like this. I have three scouts I've talked to before the season all with different opinions. One felt he was Burrow and was QB2. One felt he was a top 3 QB but in a tier with other QBs and not the same with Maye or Williams. The other had him as a 6th round grade. The one thing that stood out to me was, player type and what he wanted from a QB was all different and the respect or lack thereof of the players he was going up against was also duly noted.

Maye is pretty damn impressive. Love the snap and accuracy on his mid-range and deep throws. Has the prototype build & big arm to be perfect for a place like Chicago.
Struggles when you drop 8 and doesn't read defenses at a high level. I've compared him to Sam Howell with a tad more speed plus the size and tools of Justin Herbert. That's intriguing but when he has to read defenses, he doesn't do it fast or particularly well. Ability wise and talent wise, he's special. Could definitely be a top 5-10 QB in the NFL with the right staff and personnel. I just don't have him near Sanders or Williams. I hold both of those players in elite regard.

Struggles when you drop 8 and doesn't read defenses at a high level. I've compared him to Sam Howell with a tad more speed plus the size and tools of Justin Herbert. That's intriguing but when he has to read defenses, he doesn't do it fast or particularly well. Ability wise and talent wise, he's special. Could definitely be a top 5-10 QB in the NFL with the right staff and personnel. I just don't have him near Sanders or Williams. I hold both of those players in elite regard.
Fair. Maye might be a Vinnie Testaverde. I think closer to a Stafford. But he might also be a Jim Kelly level guy.

I don't know how high the ceiling is on Shedeur (in a good way). With his accuracy and how he reads & processes defenses, I think he could be Drew Brees with a bigger arm and size. He's a safer pick, imo. But I think GMs will fall in love with Maye's arm talent.

Fair. Maye might be a Vinnie Testaverde. I think closer to a Stafford. But he might also be a Jim Kelly level guy.

I don't know how high the ceiling is on Shedeur (in a good way). With his accuracy and how he reads & processes defenses, I think he could be Drew Brees with a bigger arm and size. He's a safer pick, imo. But I think GMs will fall in love with Maye's arm talent.
Jim Kelly is not a bad comp. Probably the best one I've heard.

Shedeur says his players he watch the most are Brady and Justin Fields. That's probably a combination that's he's most similar to.

He doesn't have the legs or size of Fields or the height and footwork technique of Brady but he does things like them.

Similarities

Brady - pre snap and post snap, footwork speed, ability to read defenses, poise, composure, accuracy, elite cogintive abilities, elite eyes. Where Brady does great is he always improved even as he was old.

Fields - mobility throwing on the run, always keeping plays alive on scramble situations, holding the ball too long or refusal to throw it out of bounds especially when it's a coverage sack. Fields mobility outside is elite and I don't see Sanders ever doing that no matter what. Ever.

Fields and Brady have elite hand strength as well as they can digest a lot in limited time. Fields testing skills are noted if you research for it.

Fields struggles are eye quickness. He just has slow eyes. With how quick everything happens in the NFL, your eyes have to be elite or at least good. Also Fields has no pre snap read ability and that burned him at Georgia and why Fromm beat him out with ease. Fields is a mobile QB prospect but he does have to improve as a passer if he wants to be a top 10 QB. So far this year. It's all bad but we will see.

Last edited:
Shedeur is improving but he has some work to do as a game manager which is good because it wasn't something he had even has experience with at Jackson. So it's growth but he needs more experience in this specific role.
He is also adjusting to the speed and athleticism of the top players at this level.

At FCS he was throwing against defenders who were either not as fast or quick or who were smaller.

He is a fast learner though. There were some passes that he tried against Oregon that he held against SC or located differently.

No question that right now Williams is a better QB that Shedeur. I would not though be surprised in any way if Shedeur ends up a better pro QB. He is a fast learner, makes adjustments, and is more emotionally level.

There is also something to having experience playing when your guys are far better than the guys you are going against. How does Wlliams handle it when he doesn't have the best team.

He is also adjusting to the speed and athleticism of the top players at this level.

At FCS he was throwing against defenders who were either not as fast or quick or who were smaller.

He is a fast learner though. There were some passes that he tried against Oregon that he held against SC or located differently.

No question that right now Williams is a better QB that Shedeur. I would not though be surprised in any way if Shedeur ends up a better pro QB. He is a fast learner, makes adjustments, and is more emotionally level.

There is also something to having experience playing when your guys are far better than the guys you are going against. How does Wlliams handle it when he doesn't have the best team.
It's not as much of an adjustment when you consider who he was throwing to as well, especially from the Football IQ side which is critical for a Shedeur type which I honestly think gets understated massively.

The DL differences are most notable. That's the gap I see the most. This OL is still massively better than what he had at Jackson. It's not even close.

I think Shedeur is better than Williams. It's not even that close to me anymore. I just don't believe most NFL OCs will have a clue what to do with Williams. He's not that great in the pocket. He misses way too many reads and USC OL gives him a lot of time to make up for it. Also his WRs generally get open and quickly but when they don't, he struggles. The NFL is hard. QBs get Shedeur at CU time in the pocket. Not Caleb at USC, Penix at Washington, or Nix at Oregon time in the pocket. I think he will struggle if he doesn't go to a good situation. The Bears are in the worst situation in the NFL. OC can't deal with creativity. It's a horrible situation for Williams. If it's the Raiders or Broncos that have Payton and McDaniels. Two QBs who I know can handle creative QBs. Arizona, no. Chicago, hell no and they need to move to a dome.

Give me Shedeur over Williams. Read defenses well. Goes through progressions quickly. Composure. Poise. High Football IQ. Elite cognitive skills. Deadly accurate. I like Sanders this year more than I liked Stroud last year. It's Sanders for me. That said, he could return. I believe he likely will. At the end of the day, this is a family business and he's the head of the snake.

The case for Williams is that he's by far the most talented QB. He's probably the most talented QB to enter the draft. He can potentially be elite as a mobile QB and a balanced QB prospect. He's special as they come but most coaches are **** with mobile QBs and being a balanced QB, a lot of your success is based on the players around you. Where I like Sanders more, is he can play with any personnel in the NFL and produce with NFL WRs. He's not playing with a bunch of great guys now outside of Hunter. Weaver is likely a 5th to 7th rounder. Horn Jr. is likely a 6th to 7th rounder when he enters the draft. Antonio and Dawson will not play in the NFL as a WR. Omarion Miller has tremendous upside so I'll reserve judgment on him. But Shedeur is what OCs in the NFL shine with. Only a few who are geniuses can work with Williams. Give me 2.

I don't like this BS I see on here, I want 2 for another year, so I'ma diss him. I am not cool with that. We can want him to stay but give him his flowers too.

tremendous risk of injury, and loss of field position, and, thereby, increased chance of losing games? So a millionaire can pad a completion stat. Also hurts his rushing stats, his 3rd down completion %, his drives sustained %. this is guy is a true whore. and a moron

don't QB ratings consider the number of times you drop back and get sacked, as well as attempts and completions?

Was listening to Cowherd today. He said that according to PFF, 8 of the sacks have been Shedeur's fault. So if you take that and then ungenerously say that half of those are stat padding rather than trying to make a play, it's an absolute nothing burger of him saying 1 time per game that he's just gonna eat it instead of throwing an incompletion.

Was listening to Cowherd today. He said that according to PFF, 8 of the sacks have been Shedeur's fault. So if you take that and then ungenerously say that half of those are stat padding rather than trying to make a play, it's an absolute nothing burger of him saying 1 time per game that he's just gonna eat it instead of throwing an incompletion.
Not that this asinine take needs any further dispelling, but I believe a couple of these sacks involve Shedeur scrambling a bunch, still looking to throw, before running out of bounds for a minimal loss.

2s amazing. While it's early in the season so this doesn't hold too much water, only one other player has had a 90 or higher passing grade and their overall team was below 80 overall. Dillon Gabriel and UCF in 2020.

Maye and UNC was close a couple of times as well as Old Dominon and Taylor Hieneke in 2014. We expect this to change.

I get that the Oregon game pretty much cost Shedeur any chance at going to New York, but the Buffs are 4-2 and Shedeur is #1 in Passing Yards, T-3rd in PaTDs, only has 2 INTs, top 20 in passer rating, and all that with easily the worst supporting cast of any of the other candidates.

I get that the Oregon game pretty much cost Shedeur any chance at going to New York, but the Buffs are 4-2 and Shedeur is #1 in Passing Yards, T-3rd in PaTDs, only has 2 INTs, top 20 in passer rating, and all that with easily the worst supporting cast of any of the other candidates.

He will get his chance again v. UCLA, Utah, Wazzu, and Oregon State

Then his yardage would be lower because he wouldn't need to light it up in Q4.
Season 3 Yes GIF by The Office

I need some help here, folks, because I'm stumped. What could possibly be the difference here to explain the different reactions these things received? They're both football players playing to the crowd in an "in your face" way. One was something many would consider obscene. 🤔 What might be the difference here?

Back