What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Shurmur taking over play calling

I don’t pretend to be any kind of expert but I’ve been told
1) we’re gonna win now
2) we’re going to have an up tempo offense
3) we’re going to throw it all over the place and make huge yards

2 and 3 don’t appear to be true based on a factor that has become increasingly well known throughout the college football world. You can hit SS fast enough that it takes 2 and 3 off the table.

And it’s obvious, even to me, that to preserve 1 we needed change. If a bowl game is the bar then a change had to be made to get it done now and this one feels like the right move. Lewis seems like a great guy and promising talent. But he wasn’t getting it done in the situation were in.

I'm not a Pat Shurmur apologist but he had nothing but JAG qb's (at best) at all his stops as head coach and OC.
I think the idea that the Broncos stint is some sort of black mark on his resume is laughable. Denver hasn't started getting to the bottom of their issues as an organization.

This is an open mind kind of move for me-I'm open on Shurmur being the OC next year, but I'd be surprised if it works out that way.

I'm not finding any... anyone know has Lewis made any public comments on this topic yet?

I think the idea that the Broncos stint is some sort of black mark on his resume is laughable. Denver hasn't started getting to the bottom of their issues as an organization.

This is an open mind kind of move for me-I'm open on Shurmur being the OC next year, but I'd be surprised if it works out that way.
I don't want him as an OC for next year but I'm okay with the change temporarily, mainly because i just dont see him recruiting. I'm curious to see the difference in playcalling Saturday.

It's good to see CP trying something because the offense has gone stale since TCU for the most part except for the 2nd half against USC and the first half against Stanford.

I haven’t read the thread. But I fret that Shumer meddling has contributed to what has become total dysfunction. What we saw last week would not have worked at all early in the season. It’s gone from suspect to complete and total disarray. NFL coaches can be absolutely awful CFB coaches. Totally different deal.

Hopefully he’s the answer but I fear there’s more to this story.

I haven’t read the thread. But I fret that Shumer meddling has contributed to what has become total dysfunction. What we saw last week would not have worked at all early in the season. It’s gone from suspect to complete and total disarray. NFL coaches can be absolutely awful CFB coaches. Totally different deal.

I feel like you’re kind of just throwing out random speculation for no reason. Why would Shurmur’s meddling be causing the dysfunction and lead to Prime making this change? Do you believe Prime is ignorant to the issue between Lewis, BOB, the OL, Shedeur and the offensive woes?

You have to remember these people are sports fans masquerading as “journalists” and sniffing their own farts on a public Internet forum. Sports writers (Adam is a pro) are largely a pathetic group of self-important twats. Essentially this board if it had a large following
That's unfair. You left out the high percentage who are nerdy jock sniffers who have zero athletic ability and have had hero worship of athletes since they were kids.

leave GIF by Desus & Mero

I don't want him as an OC for next year but I'm okay with the change temporarily, mainly because i just dont see him recruiting. I'm curious to see the difference in playcalling Saturday.
That's fair. I don't think he's going to be the guy next year here. If CU goes 2-2 or better over the next four, he's likely going back to the NFL as a position coach.

Here's a guy I'm curious about as a possibility for next year. Younger guy who has a lot of experience in the state of Louisiana.

Last edited:
With all of the questions and theories that have been posed in regard to what's wrong with this offense and why we don't do this or that. This move might help narrow it down for us.
If we can run the ball tomorrow night, that tells us everything
They are saying that all the schemes will be the same
Sounds like they made this decision last Sunday and have quietly been working on Shurmurs game planning
I hope we see real running plays
I bet Wilkerson could be a FB

If we can run the ball tomorrow night, that tells us everything
They are saying that all the schemes will be the same
Sounds like they made this decision last Sunday and have quietly been working on Shurmurs game planning
I hope we see real running plays
I bet Wilkerson could be a FB
If we don't run the ball what's the point of making this switch? I fully expect to see a lot more running plays.

I can't remember from when I looked it up a couple years ago. Doesn't it also depend on a mobile QB?

If so, the same issues would likely arise.
It's about as a gimmicky offense as you will find in college football. I loved the idea of go-go with incompetent Dorrell to even the field. It would be a horrible offense for Shedeur

"Premier offensive minds" is really stretching it, hoss. Let's say he's a good, young up and coming coach and leave it at that.
When he came here, it was considered a MASSIVE coup, and he was absolutely viewed as one of the best IC's in football, and people wondered why he didn't get a big time OC job.

Back