What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

So, once CU cashes those Big Ten checks

I guess everyone who has a D1 baseball team should not play because they don't draw. That is a lame argument. I pointed out the weather doesn't stop lesser, smaller AD's and it should not be a reason CU doesn't have one. Maybe the fact that every other P12 member has a baseball team is instructive. Even Utah can find a way, but CU can't. Maybe CU is the also ran AD in the P12.

Baseball is one of the most popular three sports in the NCAA. Football, basketball, baseball/softball. That is why those three are actually televised somewhere other than the P12 network. Football and basketball draw viewership, that is self-evident, baseball is number three. I could not find stats for baseball but the WCWS softball drew 755,000 average viewers while the men's lacrosse championship drew 399,000 viewers. EDIT: the CWS championship had 1.67 million viewers.

Baseball is a draw for TV. Lacrosse isn't. If the UT/OU move doesn't convince you, nothing will.
So every university should have a baseball team because a bunch of old farts who never go but like the game think they should have it. Maybe every university that has a lacrosse team but no baseball should drop lacrosse and add baseball because, well, everybody else is doing it.

While we are at it we should dump skiing because most of the PAC 12 doesn't do it other than Utah. Most of the PAC12 also does swimming and diving so that's a mandatory add as well.

Your argument is lame.

The question isn't in a world of unlimited resources should CU have a baseball team. It is in a world of new or additional resources where would be the best places for CU to put those resources to benefit the athletic department and the university as a whole.

This is in not way a "Baseball is bad" position. It is simply a statement that there are multiple other options that would make much more sense.

As stated I like baseball. Looking at it rationally with a cost/benefit analysis it is well down the list of sports that we should be looking to add.

Bowling:
1. Equipment and uniforms are cheap.
2. The venues don’t need to be built.
3. Instant rivalry with the……****ers!
(Imagine the recruiting wars…..)
4. Adds a blue collar vibe that CU sorely needs.

C’mon, who’s with me? Buehler?

Curious to where the bowling lanes would be put in on campus. Other than that, agree 100% with what you are saying.

So every university should have a baseball team because a bunch of old farts who never go but like the game think they should have it. Maybe every university that has a lacrosse team but no baseball should drop lacrosse and add baseball because, well, everybody else is doing it.

While we are at it we should dump skiing because most of the PAC 12 doesn't do it other than Utah. Most of the PAC12 also does swimming and diving so that's a mandatory add as well.

Your argument is lame.

The question isn't in a world of unlimited resources should CU have a baseball team. It is in a world of new or additional resources where would be the best places for CU to put those resources to benefit the athletic department and the university as a whole.

This is in not way a "Baseball is bad" position. It is simply a statement that there are multiple other options that would make much more sense.

As stated I like baseball. Looking at it rationally with a cost/benefit analysis it is well down the list of sports that we should be looking to add.
Fine. I disagree. If you are going to add a sport, add one that is a TV draw. You feel differently. Thanks for the old fart insult. I appreciate it.

BTW, I have watched games at Metro. It is a great facility.

DU has a grass hill? Can you point that out to me? I’ve spent an inordinate amount of time in that particular campus the last year or so and for the life of me I can’t think of any hills near the lacrosse complex.
It is on the east side of stadium, between the stadium and the arena.

Fine. I disagree. If you are going to add a sport, add one that is a TV draw. You feel differently. Thanks for the old fart insult. I appreciate it.

BTW, I have watched games at Metro. It is a great facility.
How many CU games would we see on television (other than maybe a few on at midnight on the PAC12 network with close to zero people watching and generating zero additional dollars) in a season.

The teams that end up on TV are usually the top 25 type teams in sunshine states, that wouldn't be us.

I qualify as an old fart as well being old enough to be retired. Reality is that if you are looking to build your university you want things that interest younger people and college baseball doesn't do that.

How much of the Olympic baseball are they showing? Almost none. Instead we are getting beach volleyball, mountain biking, skateboarding, and the other sports that NBC knows will appeal to, you guessed it, a younger audience.

This isn't about what used to be popular, it is about what builds interest and support among younger audiences including those are or will be your students and their parents.

Has this thread about football $$ reshaping the existence of college sports spent the last few pages arguing about the attendance CU would draw for a Men's Lacrosse team that will never happen?

Has this thread about football $$ reshaping the existence of college sports spent the last few pages arguing about the attendance CU would draw for a Men's Lacrosse team that will never happen?

All I wanted were suggestions how to redevelop Folsom and the CEC lol

How many CU games would we see on television (other than maybe a few on at midnight on the PAC12 network with close to zero people watching and generating zero additional dollars) in a season.

The teams that end up on TV are usually the top 25 type teams in sunshine states, that wouldn't be us.

I qualify as an old fart as well being old enough to be retired. Reality is that if you are looking to build your university you want things that interest younger people and college baseball doesn't do that.

How much of the Olympic baseball are they showing? Almost none. Instead we are getting beach volleyball, mountain biking, skateboarding, and the other sports that NBC knows will appeal to, you guessed it, a younger audience.

This isn't about what used to be popular, it is about what builds interest and support among younger audiences including those are or will be your students and their parents.
How many CU baseball games would be televised? None unless they won, which would still be more than lacrosse.

If you are looking to the future, I think you WAY overestimate lacrosse. Yes, it is one of the fastest, if not the fastest, growing sports. If you start from zero though, the fastest growing is an easy metric to capture...for a while. In 1970 there were about 2700 HS kids playing lacrosse, now it is around 213,000. That's huge.

There are 2.18 MILLION baseball players aged 13-17. So lacrosse has to grow ten fold to catch baseball. Good luck with that. Ask anybody to name ten major leaguers and then ask them to name ten pro lacrosse players.

If your market is the 13-17 demographic, you have ten times the number of potential students who would identify with a college baseball team as would identify with lacrosse.

Selling lacrosse over America's pastime is going to be a real challenge. Good luck.

Adding baseball brings CU in line with the P12, has the potential for TV revenue, has a ready made women's pairing, softball (of course lacrosse does too), and has a ton of identification with the 13-17 year old demographic, well ten times the identity of lacrosse.

The Olympic analogy is meaningless. Using what gets airtime in a once a four year showing to determine what should be added to the CU AD would dictate we should be looking at adding a women's gymnastics and a men's judo team.

Any non-revenue sport is about exposure. Everything but FB is a non-revenue. If you are lucky, your MBB turns a profit. Adding oddball small participation sports does not raise your profile. Nobody cares that CU wins skiing over and over. Just like nobody cares about lacrosse championships. Not having one of the big three sports makes an AD look second rate, especially when every other conference member has it.

But go ahead and add mountain biking and lacrosse. I am sure the future will take note.

EDIT: actually, now that I think about it, I think a lot of CU games would be on TV. I have watched Arky and LSU baseball for years on the SEC network, and I have caught Oregon State and fUcla games on the P12 network. While I ma sure lacrosee is on tv somewhere, I have never watched

Last edited:
CU isn’t adding any sports. Not now. Not in 10 years. Not after they start cashing big checks (assuming they ever start cashing big checks). No baseball. No hockey. No men’s lacrosse. No wrestling (although that’s a cheap one that would probably actually do OK). No gymnastics, softball, swimming, diving, rowing, bowling - nothing. It’s not going to happen. So while it’s fun to have these conversations, I came to the conclusion long ago that it’s best to not get too wrapped up in the potential for additional sports at CU. They ain’t gonna happen.

CU isn’t adding any sports. Not now. Not in 10 years. Not after they start cashing big checks (assuming they ever start cashing big checks). No baseball. No hockey. No men’s lacrosse. No wrestling (although that’s a cheap one that would probably actually do OK). No gymnastics, softball, swimming, diving, rowing, bowling - nothing. It’s not going to happen. So while it’s fun to have these conversations, I came to the conclusion long ago that it’s best to not get too wrapped up in the potential for additional sports at CU. They ain’t gonna happen.
buzzkill.jpg

Why do you need to dampen this type of talk which is a great way for everyone to get through the summer doldrums? Nothing wrong with living in fantasy-land of what could be when it comes to CU sports.

Why do you need to dampen this type of talk which is a great way for everyone to get through the summer doldrums? Nothing wrong with living in fantasy-land of what could be when it comes to CU sports.
Sorry to be such a wet blanket. I’ve seen threads like this for years. It’s a recycled discussion. The trend in college athletics is away from sports outside of football and basketball. So while I’d absolutely LOVE to see a CU varsity hockey team, I know it’s not going to happen.*

*the caveat to this is the unlikely event somebody comes along with a $100MM check to fund and endow a particular sport that CU doesn’t currently have. There was some talk many years ago that John Stearns might lead an effort to do something like this for a baseball program. The cost is too high, and the AD has too many other priorities. Even if somebody did come along with an offer like that, the AD would very likely try to convince the donor to back off the requirement for a new sport, and instead allow the donation be used to enhance existing programs.

Sorry to be such a wet blanket. I’ve seen threads like this for years. It’s a recycled discussion. The trend in college athletics is away from sports outside of football and basketball. So while I’d absolutely LOVE to see a CU varsity hockey team, I know it’s not going to happen.*

*the caveat to this is the unlikely event somebody comes along with a $100MM check to fund and endow a particular sport that CU doesn’t currently have. There was some talk many years ago that John Stearns might lead an effort to do something like this for a baseball program. The cost is too high, and the AD has too many other priorities. Even if somebody did come along with an offer like that, the AD would very likely try to convince the donor to back off the requirement for a new sport, and instead allow the donation be used to enhance existing programs.
Mtn. and I were having a perfectly pleasant off season AB argument until you came along and ruined the fun.

Baseball is more expensive as mentioned due to travel cost.

The idea of baseball in Boulder goes into the same category of Dave Logan for head coach or intentionally going to join the MWC so we can play our local "rivals" every year after recruiting the top 20 players from Colorado every year.

Lacrosse requires a field roughly the same size as soccer, not a big problem. Building a stadium for lacrosse would also mean a facility sharable for soccer and for field hockey and probably track and field if so desired.

Baseball requires a D1 level baseball only facility that takes up much more space and gets used less.

Baseball also doesn't work in Colorado springtime weather. It didn't work well when we had it, it won't work now.

Baseball would require significant out of state recruiting. Colorado produces some baseball talent but relatively little compared to most other states, what talent doesn't go to the pros leaves the state.

In contrast Colorado is developing as a solid talent source in lacrosse so you could get a core of players plus a solid walk on program (necessary for both sports due to limited scholarships) locally and Colorado would be a desirable destination for out of state prospects.

Lots of arguments here about how well lacrosse would draw. I can assure you that based on history and on surrounding schools that it would draw significantly better than baseball. When CU had baseball it didn't draw flies. Air Force, Wyoming don't draw well, CSU dropped the sport.

I am a baseball fan and enjoy watching college baseball. It isn't the right choice for CU now or in the foreseeable future.
Kinda like Utah, Wisconsin, Michigan, Boston College. No way to make it work. It’s fun to be the only power 5 school without a baseball team.

I guess everyone who has a D1 baseball team should not play because they don't draw. That is a lame argument. I pointed out the weather doesn't stop lesser, smaller AD's and it should not be a reason CU doesn't have one. Maybe the fact that every other P12 member has a baseball team is instructive. Even Utah can find a way, but CU can't. Maybe CU is the also ran AD in the P12.

Baseball is one of the most popular three sports in the NCAA. Football, basketball, baseball/softball. That is why those three are actually televised somewhere other than the P12 network. Football and basketball draw viewership, that is self-evident, baseball is number three. I could not find stats for baseball but the WCWS softball drew 755,000 average viewers while the men's lacrosse championship drew 399,000 viewers. EDIT: the CWS championship had 1.67 million viewers.

Baseball is a draw for TV. Lacrosse isn't. If the UT/OU move doesn't convince you, nothing will.
Thank you for posting this. It’s embarrassing not to have a baseball team. And even more embarrassing to hear the excuses why.

I think lacrosse is one of those sports that an increasing number of kids want to PLAY, but that not lots and lots of folks want to pay to WATCH.

Lacrosse:
12.6 scholarships to award per team

Baseball:
Each school is allotted 11.7

See earlier post on revenue earned per each. Ergo, baseball = fewer scholarships yet more revenue.

Because US Olympic baseball is lame, just like US Olympic basketball. It’s a bunch of pros bearing the **** out of smaller, less capable countries…but then they lose. Plus, with ALL those sports going on, people only have time for the quick ones.
I hate pro baseball but I was all over college baseball this year. It’s awesome (I have posts all over this site about it). It’s fun, unpredictable, and not boring like the MLB.

To the original questions in this thread. CU Events Center has to be replaced, not remodeled - replaced. Redo it so it can accommodate ice for hockey (in case you ever expand into hockey). Present Arena has too many limitations. Replace with a modern facility with capacity for 12 to 14K

Back