What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

So, once CU cashes those Big Ten checks

To the original questions in this thread. CU Events Center has to be replaced, not remodeled - replaced. Redo it so it can accommodate ice for hockey (in case you ever expand into hockey). Present Arena has too many limitations. Replace with a modern facility with capacity for 12 to 14K
Probably correct.

When they built the building it was done on the cheap. They had limited funds, didn't want to take on a lot of long term future obligation.

Keep in mind that this was before Tad had come along and made our program a legitimate winner.

At the time of building they cut a lot of corners and with aging it hasn't improved much.

Correctly done it could be not only a much better facility for basketball but also host other sports and importantly be much more useful for concerts, conferences, etc.

I saw all the points about why it doesn't make sense to make the necessary changes to Folsom Field's seating to accommodate for soccer, lacrosse, and rugby. That is something that could be done when the time comes. Just build a new soccer/lacrosse stadium and go from there.

I have been diving into soccer and I stumbled upon the MLS-La Liga MX merger rumors from like two months ago and I think CU needs to get serious about adding men's soccer as soon as possible. Couple that with the upcoming 2026 World Cup, the future of the NCAA, the future of both soccer & football in this country, etc and I think it makes sense to start up men's soccer at CU. Heck that fall season could end up being moved to the spring and if that is the case, the need for men's lacrosse might no longer be there.

I saw all the points about why it doesn't make sense to make the necessary changes to Folsom Field's seating to accommodate for soccer, lacrosse, and rugby. That is something that could be done when the time comes. Just build a new soccer/lacrosse stadium and go from there.

I have been diving into soccer and I stumbled upon the MLS-La Liga MX merger rumors from like two months ago and I think CU needs to get serious about adding men's soccer as soon as possible. Couple that with the upcoming 2026 World Cup, the future of the NCAA, the future of both soccer & football in this country, etc and I think it makes sense to start up men's soccer at CU. Heck that fall season could end up being moved to the spring and if that is the case, the need for men's lacrosse might no longer be there.
The problem is available real estate to build it. The East Campus master plan eventually builds new research buildings where Potts and Prentup are along with graduate school housing. in order to build the IPF where it is CUAD had to trade the lower practice fields behind the AD with the Rec Center whose intramural programs control most of the fields. South Campus is likely where a new soccer venue would end up as that plan is the least developed right now and Tennis and Golf are already down there.

Mens soccer would be a nice addition. The sport has been growing in popularity as an alternative to football for parents that dont want their kids to have CTE And bad knees. College soccer is not a pathway to the pros as the clubs already do that. Most soccer players seem to hit pro material between 16 and 20. Not everyone can go pro so we should see some good college teams.

The problem is available real estate to build it. The East Campus master plan eventually builds new research buildings where Potts and Prentup are along with graduate school housing. in order to build the IPF where it is CUAD had to trade the lower practice fields behind the AD with the Rec Center whose intramural programs control most of the fields. South Campus is likely where a new soccer venue would end up as that plan is the least developed right now and Tennis and Golf are already down there.

Mens soccer would be a nice addition. The sport has been growing in popularity as an alternative to football for parents that dont want their kids to have CTE And bad knees. College soccer is not a pathway to the pros as the clubs already do that. Most soccer players seem to hit pro material between 16 and 20. Not everyone can go pro so we should see some good college teams.
You’re not going to go pro with that mindset.

Mens soccer would be a nice addition. The sport has been growing in popularity as an alternative to football for parents that dont want their kids to have CTE And bad knees.

Sure, we all can agree that football poses the highest risk for concussion. But to say that playing soccer (or even more assumingely incorrect, lacrosse) will keep kids from getting CTE is false. And I’m going out on a limb here and saying the real concussion numbers for men’s soccer are closer to women’s.

I keep thinking such a soccer stadium would go where family housing is/was at (those apartments north of Folsom Field). Ditto for a new track & field facility.

If the plan is to put additional housing in where Potts/Prentup is, then the logical conclusion is to tear down the existing family housing by the practice fields and turn that area into an athletics complex.

makes way too much sense. Won’t ever happen.

If the plan is to put additional housing in where Potts/Prentup is, then the logical conclusion is to tear down the existing family housing by the practice fields and turn that area into an athletics complex.

makes way too much sense. Won’t ever happen.

Here is The Actual Plan as of Aug 2020. These are 10 year plans and Housing was just updated

Housing will added to East Campus, added to North Boulder Campus, but not to South Campus.

2EF68C07-922A-4687-A7A4-D9A0DA2C107B.jpeg
06D13D1E-E08A-4704-80B1-D03BD2634C27.jpeg
5F844167-6E5A-43EC-ACFC-73E6942749E7.jpegFE3D043A-7108-4201-97A1-80C048AC6618.jpegFE3D043A-7108-4201-97A1-80C048AC6618.jpeg

Last edited:
Isn't there plans for that on the southern campus?
See the post by me above this one regarding the newest Housing plan. Which dove tails with the campus Master Plan.

The campus Master Plan is older, from 2011 and a new plan slated to be issued in 2021. This is what the 2011 plan said about the South Campus:

20CD6E4C-AFC8-48DF-A458-C15313A0E068.jpeg

Last edited:
Back