What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

So, who got the survey from CUAD MB?

Coaches come and coaches go. Facilities are forever (or nearly so). We are in dire need of some significant upgrades to the football facilities. Everything from the indoor practice facility to improvements to the seating in Folsom needs to be addressed. The last time we hired a big name coach was when we went out and got Chuck Fairbanks to leave the New England Patriots to come to Boulder. That didn't work out so well. Hiring a big time coach sounds great, but it's not the answer, IMO. Put our house in order, then see where we are.

A coach like Carroll, Saban, Miles, Meyer is never going to come to CU, its flat out stupid to think that.

You realize that in 5 years CU will be have one of the highest revenues in all of college athletics ...?

Heck, CSU pays their coach double what we pay Embree. If we don't pay 4mil/year for the next coach it will be asinine. The money is going to be there. Whether our leaders see this is another question.

Last edited:
You realize that in 5 years CU will be have one of the highest revenues in all of college athletics ...?

Heck, CSU pays their coach double what we pay Embree. If we don't pay 4mil/year for the next coach it will be asinine. The money is going to be there. Whether our leaders see this is another question.

We pay Embree a little because we are experimenting. If he turns out to be a hit, he will get paid. If he fails, he will get fired. He also takes a lower salary so we can pay Bienemy and other assistants.
Not sure why you believe we need to jump in and overpay some nimrod.

Coaches come and coaches go. Facilities are forever (or nearly so). We are in dire need of some significant upgrades to the football facilities. Everything from the indoor practice facility to improvements to the seating in Folsom needs to be addressed. The last time we hired a big name coach was when we went out and got Chuck Fairbanks to leave the New England Patriots to come to Boulder. That didn't work out so well. Hiring a big time coach sounds great, but it's not the answer, IMO. Put our house in order, then see where we are.

this is why sacky is damn near my favorite poster if not my favorite. dude just tells it like it is. ymssr.

We pay Embree a little because we are experimenting. If he turns out to be a hit, he will get paid. If he fails, he will get fired. He also takes a lower salary so we can pay Bienemy and other assistants.
Not sure why you believe we need to jump in and overpay some nimrod.
Sort of right. Embo took a big pay cut (think nearly 50%) so that he could pay his assistants more.

The last time we hired a big name coach was when we went out and got Chuck Fairbanks to leave the New England Patriots to come to Boulder. That didn't work out so well. Hiring a big time coach sounds great, but it's not the answer, IMO. Put our house in order, then see where we are.

Just because Fairbanks flopped and Hawkins burned the place down, doesn't mean you are relegated to hiring only obscure alums for eternity. Keep tossing your hat in the ring. Even poor little Kansas has thrown tens of millions at Mangino (2.3 mil/yr, 3mil settlement), Turner Gill (2mil/year, 6 mil settlement), Charlie Weiss (2.5mil/year).

We are paying Embree 800k-ish? ****.

We pay Embree a little because we are experimenting.

CU is now in a position of relative strength. No need to be experimenting for half a decade just to see if odds against all odds we post a winning record one of these years.

Just because Fairbanks flopped and Hawkins burned the place down, doesn't mean you are relegated to hiring only obscure alums for eternity. Keep tossing your hat in the ring. Even poor little Kansas has thrown tens of millions at Mangino (2.3 mil/yr, 3mil settlement), Turner Gill (2mil/year, 6 mil settlement), Charlie Weiss (2.5mil/year).

You can't complain about Embo not being a "big name" while complaining he doesn't get paid enough. Embo deserves no less than four years to turn this around (unless there is a mega disaster 2-10 season or no progress shown). The jury on this coaching staff is certainly still out. Let's not jump to conclusions.

I would rather have Embree than any of the **** Kansas has brought in.

the fact is, all coaching decisions are gambles. one my have done great at other places and is just not a cultural fit. others may have failed at other places but its a match made in heaven at the new gig. this goes for tested coaches and it goes for coaches that are given thier first oppertunity.

there is no way to tell. the idea that getting a "name" coach with a big budget means absolute success is absurd. there are so many factors that come into play when finding the right coach. often times, it takes going through several coaching staffs to find the right combination needed. ask texas, oklahoma, alabama, usc ect.

just the way it is.

i made 3 key points in my comments:

1. we need vocal support backed by real action from the president and chancellor in support of the CUAD.
2. they need to launch the fundraising campaign asap.
3. don't schedule any more 1-off games for a pay day like michigan and osu.

You can't complain about Embo not being a "big name" while complaining he doesn't get paid enough.

Not my intention at all. Embree gets paid his market value at 800k, which is the least market value in the pac12. I'm suggesting that when the time comes we throw our new money at a big name coach. He may flop, he may succeed. But it's time to actually 'play' the game.

And to bring this threadjack full circle, I would use our pac12 money in this manner and hold off on massive facilities upgrades until 6 or so years from now, when the program gets off its knees again.

Not my intention at all. Embree gets paid his market value at 800k, which is the least market value in the pac12. I'm suggesting that when the time comes we throw our new money at a big name coach. He may flop, he may succeed. But it's time to actually 'play' the game.

And to bring this threadjack full circle, I would use our pac12 money in this manner and hold off on massive facilities upgrades until 6 or so years from now, when the program gets off its knees again.

I totally disagree. Kids always rave about the facilities at the schools like Oregon. Better facilities bring better talent. And who was it that said "It isn't about the X's and the O's, its about the Jimmies and the Joes". And I am glad that you are not the AD. CU was hamstrung by the scandal, then the stink that was D2Danny, and two buyouts. Just give Embree four years before you try to push him off a plank. If you can't see we are getting better talent, then......I have no idea what you see. Let Brownie coach a D not filled with offensive third and fouth stringers. This takes time. But facilities are a must, or we might go the way of CSWho.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

We don't have six years. We need those upgrades now, or we will lose another decade.

I don't want CU to have to depend on finding a "once in a generation" coach in order to be good. If our house is in order, when we find those coaches it will immediately be national title contention rather than someone who can lead a rebuild.

Such a horribly stupid idea.

I don't want CU to have to depend on finding a "once in a generation" coach in order to be good. If our house is in order, when we find those coaches it will immediately be national title contention rather than someone who can lead a rebuild.

Who's going to put that house in order? IMO its the coach that builds the program, not the program that builds the coach. (certain exceptions include the big dogs like Ohio State, USC, but even programs like Michigan, Florida, Alabama, Oklahoma have exhibited wild fluctuations in success/failure solely reliant on the coach. Incredible faciltiies have remained constant at those places.)

IMO, focusing on finding/attracting a world class coach should be CU's focus. Not necessarily facilities, but those would follow immediately after.

Who's going to put that house in order? IMO its the coach that builds the program, not the program that builds the coach. (certain exceptions include the big dogs like Ohio State, USC, but even programs like Michigan, Florida, Alabama, Oklahoma have exhibited wild fluctuations in success/failure solely reliant on the coach. Incredible faciltiies have remained constant at those places.)

IMO, focusing on finding/attracting a world class coach should be CU's focus. Not necessarily facilities, but those would follow immediately after.
What attracts a world class coach? Facilities.

Coaches come and coaches go.

Completely off topic, but this made me think of Mallrats.

"Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, "the Whale," they only beat Vancouver once, maybe twice in a lifetime."

I was on West Alemeda in Denver last week getting some delicious dim-sum and drove by two billboards advertising CU Football tickets. Is it really the best use of funds to place these billboards in a low-income area made up almost entirely of Asian and Mexican immigrants?

I was on West Alemeda in Denver last week getting some delicious dim-sum and drove by two billboards advertising CU Football tickets. Is it really the best use of funds to place these billboards in a low-income area made up almost entirely of Asian and Mexican immigrants?

I hope you understand the irony of your post.

So the fact that I saw them makes them well-placed? Not many "gringos" venture into that area.

Close I was thinking that you referred to people that lived there as low income Asian and Mexican immigrants means you are a douchebag.

Back