What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

So'oto pokes his finger at CU

Yes I know what you said. I’m wondering in what world So’oto being pushed out after being hired two months ago makes any sense
Maybe it’s not that crazy, what’s more likely?

1) So’oto left after just 2 months on the job for practically a demotion at Cal, then Dorrell lied about the reason he left and managed to find a replacement just days later, or

2) Something happened very early that caused Dorrell to want him out and told him to start looking for a new landing spot and when he did the school would say it was for “family reasons”. So’oto takes the Cal gig, and is pissed about being dumped so gives a little f**k you to CU on his way out knowing Dorrell won’t retaliate. This would also help explain why a replacement was found so quickly.

Just spitballing and either one seems possible.

1) So’oto left after just 2 months on the job for practically a demotion at Cal, then Dorrell lied about the reason he left and managed to find a replacement just days later, or

2) Something happened very early that caused Dorrell to want him out and told him to start looking for a new landing spot and when he did the school would say it was for “family reasons”. So’oto takes the Cal gig, and is pissed about being dumped so gives a little f**k you to CU on his way out knowing Dorrell won’t retaliate. This would also help explain why a replacement was found so quickly.

Plausible

The timing seems odd that they both found replacements so quickly so could fit this theory. Although, I’m sure this probably all went down a while ago

Sure, there are a bunch of scenarios you can conjure up in your head. I guess I just don’t see any evidence of that being the case aside from Dorrell moving fast with the new hire, which can be explained fairly easily in that he was probably the runner up to So’oto in the interview process.

So'oto witnessed first hand the hot mess and incompetence in Boulder & decided to bolt just weeks in to the job.
He had such little regard for Rick George and Karl Dorrell he refused to let them spin the narrative he was leaving as a result of family oriented issues.
In fact, he went out of his way to make sure everyone understood that was a LIE.
I don’t know how anyone can feel any pride about what is going on in Boulder.
Everyone at the top who has been paying lip service to championship aspirations but really don’t care needs to be let go.
We need to bring in folks with real passion and an unending thirst for success at the highest level.
Once this pipe dream is completed then a real coaching staff needs to be hired if CU has any intention of ever being relevant nationally. For God’s sake if Baylor and Cincinnati can do it why not us?!

And Pitt, and UCF, and Minnesota, and…

They want it more. A whole lot more. Other programs pay lip service to education, NCAA compliance and community service. At CU, they pay lip service to winning. You are what you emphasize.
Wait, what does CU emphasize?

A little bit of a reach, but I think CU's 1 hope for an athletic turnaround in the next 10 years is Tad and BB. Much like Duke used it's BB sucess to build a better FB team (what, 8 - 10 years ago? It didn't really last).
We are the only school with 2 NBA head coaches, and if Tad would stoop to using that fact in recruiting, and ask his alums to push the CU program, we could possibly build a Final Four team. Bring in a top big man next year, and we might be there..
That type of performance would put CU in a different light and could help all our sports.

A bit of a reach, and I'm not betting on the idea, but we just don't have much else at this point.

Sure, there are a bunch of scenarios you can conjure up in your head. I guess I just don’t see any evidence of that being the case aside from Dorrell moving fast with the new hire, which can be explained fairly easily in that he was probably the runner up to So’oto in the interview process.
Moving fast and the fact that he took an OLB job at Cal (he didn’t go to some blue chip program or take a DC job), and the bungled messaging about why he left - it seems more plausible that CU would make up that story in an attempt to disguise a firing versus lying to save face with a coach who wasn’t going along with the story.

I just don’t think the “he was pushed out” theory is all that far fetched given what we know. It’s only because we’re talking about a dysfunctional CU AD that option 1 is even plausible.

Last edited:
Moving fast and the fact that he took an OLB job at Cal (he did go to some blue chip program or take a DC job), and the bungled messaging about why he left - it seems more plausible that CU would make up that story in an attempt to disguise a firing versus lying to save face with a coach who wasn’t going along with the story.

I just don’t think the “he was pushed out” theory is all that far fetched given what we know. It’s only because we’re talking about a dysfunctional CU AD that option 1 is even plausible.
I’d add to that theory that perhaps VS wanted to take liberties in recruiting that KD did not. Hence the irreconcilable differences.

Obviously just speculation but I’m trying to imagine how else the relationship could sour so quickly.

I’d add to that theory that perhaps VS wanted to take liberties in recruiting that KD did not. Hence the irreconcilable differences.

Obviously just speculation but I’m trying to imagine how else the relationship could sour so quickly.
Yeah it would have to have been something pretty eye opening for Dorrell for that theory to be plausible so no idea what it could be - but yeah, it’s unlikely KD just decided it was a bad fit after 2 months in the offseason.

VS was not retained at USC with the coaching change. He needed a job. CU came along. He took the job. A better job came along. He bolted for it.

This is not that complicated folks....
Is OLB coach at Cal such a step up from DL at CU that he would bail on an employer after 2 months? There’s got to be more to it. Either he was pushed out, or was shocked by how bad things are in Boulder that he was looking for anyway out.

I can’t imagine that Cal is any less restrictive in terms of academic requirements than us. I

Is OLB coach at Cal such a step up from DL at CU that he would bail on an employer after 2 months? There’s got to be more to it. Either he was pushed out, or was shocked by how bad things are in Boulder that he was looking for anyway out.
I can see how a guy like S’oto and guy like Dorrell would butt heads.

I don’t think that any job on the CU football staff has been seen as being a very good job for a long time, and not just on Karl’s watch. The CU football program is an “any old port in a storm” type of deal IMO. And this is no overall slam on the Ath Dept. The other CU sports don’t seem to have the permanent problems that football has.

I don’t think that any job on the CU football staff has been seen as being a very good job for a long time, and not just on Karl’s watch. The CU football program is an “any old port in a storm” type of deal IMO. And this is no overall slam on the Ath Dept. The other CU sports don’t seem to have the permanent problems that football has.
You’d be hard pressed to argue that OLB coach at Cal is a clear step up from DL at CU. Neither is a high profile gig, and neither seems worth jumping ship after 2 months for. I also find it unlikely that a coach who was not pushed out, and instead bailed on the coach who hired him 2 months prior would feel the need to send a parting shot on Twitter in his way out the door.

You’d be hard pressed to argue that OLB coach at Cal is a clear step up from DL at CU. Neither is a high profile gig, and neither seems worth jumping ship after 2 months for. I also find it unlikely that a coach who was not pushed out, and instead bailed on the coach who hired him 2 months prior would feel the need to send a parting shot on Twitter in his way out the door.
I kind of agree, but a gig with Wilcox at Cal just seems like it’s probably more stable and at least less nerve wracking than a stint at CU, with its revolving HC issues, etc. In any event, people vote with their feet. Not sure why VS got his dander up over the “family” comment, but whatever……Jobs in the CU program are just not that desirable unless they’re obvious moves upward in responsibilities or money.

Cal under Wilcox has gone 26-28 with 2 winning seasons in 5 years. They’ve finished 5th in the P12 North three times, 4th once and 2nd once. Their attendance, fan and administration support is among the worst in the country and certainly bottom 2-3 in the Pac 12. Cal under Wilcox is has been about the same as CU under Dorrell/Tucker and MacIntyre.

It’s interesting to see people view Cal as a better place to be than CU

Cal under Wilcox has gone 26-28 with 2 winning seasons in 5 years. They’ve finished 5th in the P12 North three times, 4th once and 2nd once. Their attendance, fan and administration support is among the worst in the country and certainly bottom 2-3 in the Pac 12. Cal under Wilcox is has been about the same as CU under Dorrell/Tucker and MacIntyre.

Every fan base tends to view their program in a vacuum. Knowing all the little issues add up. Not saying CU doesn't have major issues, but CU's issues aren't just unique. Cal's issues are far ranging and much more so than CU's from what I know. I have no problem saying CU is in a better place as a football program and AD than Cal. About the only thing I would point to for Cal is Wilcox.

Mar. Shawn. Lynch.
Do you know something I don't or is this a book/cover situation?

You might not realize it because it’s exceedingly rare that Lynch speaks at length like that, but he’s one of the smartest players in the NFL. He had a 3.5 GPA in high school and scored 1200 on the SAT before pulling a 3.2 GPA during his time at UC-Berkeley.

Wilcox seems to flirt with open jobs every offseason too, so I’m not sure how long he is for Cal one way or the other.

VS being pushed out is total speculation on my part but a lot of the circumstances don’t align with a guy just leaving on his own IMO.

Wilcox seems to flirt with open jobs every offseason too, so I’m not sure how long he is for Cal one way or the other.

VS being pushed out is total speculation on my part but a lot of the circumstances don’t align with a guy just leaving on his own IMO.
His agent does seem to throw out his name every year. Which is weird as he just signed a fairly long contract extension so he will be there for a while unless a blue blood poaches him.

His agent does seem to throw out his name every year. Which is weird as he just signed a fairly long contract extension so he will be there for a while unless a blue blood poaches him.
And before him Dykes was doing that every year too - Cal has a way of finding coaches with wandering eyes.

Back