What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

So'oto pokes his finger at CU

I just wanted to drop by and say bow down to our greatness. We’re going to take all your coaches. Or . . . uh . . . the good ones. Or . . . the good one. Then we’re taking your women. Then we’re taking Ralphie. Kneel before Zod!

Ok. now that that’s out of the way, I’m going to agree this is a weird situation but we’re obviously happy to have So’oto join us. Seems like a good recruiter and God knows we need the help.

Reading these posts I think some of you may not follow Cal too closely (and who can really blame you). Specifically I think you missed exactly what went down with Wilcox and Cal and Oregon a few months ago ago where he rejected the Ducks (his Alma mater and a place where he and his family are football royalty) not once but twice to stay in Berkeley. Suffice it to say Wilcox is pretty locked in with the Bears and Cal has promised to make a bunch of changes to try to make ourselves if not great at least less terrible. Fingers crossed.

Dykes definitely had a wandering eye and he and Berkeley were a match made in hell, but Wilcox has found what he wants at Cal. A place where he can run a squeaky clean program with noone pressuring him to stretch for this powder keg player or that one. And he really is a very good defensive mind and his assistant coaches seem to really like working for him.

Log story short, Cal actually is a very stable place for a coach and the pressure is . . . “low.“. And Wilcox is highly respected. So this isn’t as crazy or as much of a reflection on CU as some of you may feel.

See you boys in Boulder In the fall. Have your women packed up and ready to go.
Schitts Creek Yes GIF by CBC

They want it more. A whole lot more. Other programs pay lip service to education, NCAA compliance and community service. At CU, they pay lip service to winning. You are what you emphasize.
The problem is, CU isn’t particularly good at education, NCAA compliance, or community service, either. Don’t fool yourself into thinking otherwise.

what a clown show. if it wasn't so personal to us shrinking number of actual fans/boosters, it would a tragic-comedy of epic proportions.

this is not the house that Mac built.

absolute tire fire of a situation, self induced.
This guy gets it.

There are a lot of Iago like characters in this play and none of them can be trusted.

Last edited:
Serious question: Do we know if Vic ever signed a contract with CU? I thought I saw that they were still in negotiation when the announcement was made, and wondering if there was a hang up in the contract negotiation which resulted in him leaving. For example, it would be plausible that VS didn't want to travel/recruit as much as CU wanted him to because he had small kids at home (i.e. "family reason"), or some **** like that?

Didn't see the answer to his contract situation anywhere in the thread.

Serious question: Do we know if Vic ever signed a contract with CU? I thought I saw that they were still in negotiation when the announcement was made, and wondering if there was a hang up in the contract negotiation which resulted in him leaving. For example, it would be plausible that VS didn't want to travel/recruit as much as CU wanted him to because he had small kids at home (i.e. "family reason"), or some **** like that?

Didn't see the answer to his contract situation anywhere in the thread.
His contract had not been approved by the BOR yet, when he decided to leave.

His contract had not been approved by the BOR yet, when he decided to leave.
This is something I really don’t understand. Was his contract approved? Not yet but it was agreed to and we were definitely paying him so fulfilling our part of the deal. Seems like there would be something the school could do to get a buyout (if any). If the opposite happened and CU fired him before his contract was approved you know damn well lawyers would get his money from the school.

This is something I really don’t understand. Was his contract approved? Not yet but it was agreed to and we were definitely paying him so fulfilling our part of the deal. Seems like there would be something the school could do to get a buyout (if any). If the opposite happened and CU fired him before his contract was approved you know damn well lawyers would get his money from the school.
If our esteemed admin didn't realize they could help coordinate NIL until pretty much every other P5 school in the country had public plans to do so, do you think they know how to send lawyers after someone for an agreement in principle?

Contracts arent worth the paper they are printed on.

I'm willing to take a year where this thing totally goes off the rails (a la 2012) if it means major change.

Dorrell makes MacIntyre look like Saban.

I'm willing to take a year where this thing totally goes off the rails (a la 2012) if it means major change.

Dorrell makes MacIntyre look like Saban.
Great question is how would a MacIntyre coached team look today? I beleive he got the message that he needed to upgrade the assistant coach talent, but don't know if he knew how to do that effectively.

Great question is how would a MacIntyre coached team look today? I beleive he got the message that he needed to upgrade the assistant coach talent, but don't know if he knew how to do that effectively.
5-7. Year in, year out. That was pretty much were MikMac left off. 2016 was when everything came together. I give MikMac credit, but he was a 5-7 type guy. He did a lot of things well: dug the program out of the hole it was in, roster was balanced, he recruited some decent DL and DB talent, got his son PT, ran a clean program, solid, not spectacular, game day coach. He did not recruit across the board at a level to compete in the P12, especially the OL.

MikMac had topped out, Tucker was a good choice to take it to the next level, but the CU Administration had their hand on the chicken switch and Mel had enough savvy to get while the getting was good.

Dr. Phil, RG and LC all had their thumb in the pie and failed to land a quality replacement, and as far as I can tell, panicked and hired KD out of some weird combination of fear of rejection, loyalty to the Buff former player/coach network, desire to be good, but not too good, fearing problems a successful FB program can bring, and well, ineptitude.

It boggles the mind they made KD the highest paid CUFB coach in history and guaranteed all of it, given his HC history and utter lack of marketplace demand.

5-7. Year in, year out. That was pretty much were MikMac left off. 2016 was when everything came together. I give MikMac credit, but he was a 5-7 type guy. He did a lot of things well: dug the program out of the hole it was in, roster was balanced, he recruited some decent DL and DB talent, got his son PT, ran a clean program, solid, not spectacular, game day coach. He did not recruit across the board at a level to compete in the P12, especially the OL.

MikMac had topped out, Tucker was a good choice to take it to the next level, but the CU Administration had their hand on the chicken switch and Mel had enough savvy to get while the getting was good.

Dr. Phil, RG and LC all had their thumb in the pie and failed to land a quality replacement, and as far as I can tell, panicked and hired KD out of some weird combination of fear of rejection, loyalty to the Buff former player/coach network, desire to be good, but not too good, fearing problems a successful FB program can bring, and well, ineptitude.

It boggles the mind they made KD the highest paid CUFB coach in history and guaranteed all of it, given his HC history and utter lack of marketplace demand.
If you watch the Rise, one thing keeps popping up-that Senior class was sick of losing. Those kids were primarily Embree's recruits-Phil, Sefo, etc. MacIntyre knew how to build, but he couldn't recruit for ****. No way to keep that program at that level because of the drop off in talent. That still looks awfully good next to this dumpster fire-you get one of the best ACs on the west coast in So'oto and he bolts two months in for CAL of all places to coach a position he's never coached in his career?

I almost want it to go so far off the rails the admin has no choice but to make massive changes.

If you watch the Rise, one thing keeps popping up-that Senior class was sick of losing. Those kids were primarily Embree's recruits-Phil, Sefo, etc. MacIntyre knew how to build, but he couldn't recruit for ****. No way to keep that program at that level because of the drop off in talent. That still looks awfully good next to this dumpster fire-you get one of the best ACs on the west coast in So'oto and he bolts two months in for CAL of all places to coach a position he's never coached in his career?

I almost want it to go so far off the rails the admin has no choice but to make massive changes.
I agree. MikMac could not recruit at a level to compete in the P12. He was a solid coach aside from that. But since recruiting is the bread and butter of CFB, if you can't do that, then you aren't a P5 HC candidate.

That acknowledgement aside, I would credit MikMac for some recruiting successes that contributed to 2016's success. Laguda, Awuzie, Olugbode, A. Witherspoon, D. Lewis, Montez, Tedric T., Carrell, Nick Fisher and Oliver were all significant contributors. I may be wrong on one or two, but MikMac brought most, if not all of the guys on my list in. Without them, I doubt 2016 plays out the same way. And yes, as successful as 2016 was, CU still got manhandled by UW and OSU.

Last edited:

I don’t think you understand. It doesn’t matter how far off the rails it goes. Phil does not care. All he cares about is the actual presence of a football team and that it and it’s members do nothing to embarrass the university. Losing is not considered an embarrassment.

I agree. MikMac could not recruit at a level to compete in the P12. He was a solid coach aside form that. But siince recruiting is the bread anbd butter of CFB, if you can't do that, then you aren't a P5 HC candidate.

That acknowledgement aside, I would credit MikMac for some recruiting successes that contributed to 2016's success. Laguda, Awuzie, Olugbode, A. Witherspoon, D. Lewis, Montez, Tedric T., ,Carrell, Nick Fisher and Oliver were all significant contributors. I may be wrong on one or two, but MikMac brought most, if not all of the guys on my list in. Without them, I doubt 2016 plays out the same way. And yes, as successful as 2016 was, CU still got manhandled by UW and OSU.
His recruiting sure seemed fine at Ole Miss (both times).

When are we going to accept that our issues are not because every CU coach and AD has been incompetent for the past 15+ years?

There are restrictions and limitations imposed on our program that are not normal outside of the Ivy League.

His recruiting sure seemed fine at Ole Miss (both times).

When are we going to accept that our issues are not because every CU coach and AD has been incompetent for the past 15+ years?

There are restrictions and limitations imposed on our program that are not normal outside of the Ivy League.
I agree. The problems reach higher than the HC's office. I would point out Tucker went after and landed some pretty highly sought after players, though. It can be done. But then again, when he saw the push back from the ivory tower, by many reports, he hit the bricks. Which brings us full circle to the problems being systemic.

I don’t think you understand. It doesn’t matter how far off the rails it goes. Phil does not care. All he cares about is the actual presence of a football team and that it and it’s members do nothing to embarrass the university. Losing is not considered an embarrassment.
Needing a miracle at WSU in 2012 to avoid going winless got Jon Embree fired. Does the same thing happen this year?

The money paragraph of recent memory, containing the classic: "...desire to be good, but not too good, fearing problems a successful FB program can bring...."

Thanks. Drop the mic, leftybuff. The nailhead has been hit so hard there ain't no nailhead left.....

Back