What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Spencer Dinwiddie Injury

If Spencer is in fact done for the year this is still one of, if not the most, talented roster the Buffs have ever had. We're only 4 games into conference season, plenty of time to adjust and figure it out.

Time to make The KEG more hostile than its ever ****ing been!!!!!!!

Totally agree. We fans need to do our part to help on the home court.

3-1 after 4 conference games. Even .500 the rest of the way would bring the Buffs home at 21-10 (10-8) with a trip to the Dance.

Felt sick for Sepencer all yesterday afternoon, such a tough break for him. The team losing his ability to get to the line and hit FT at a high % (especially late in games)will be sorely missed. I was surprised they struggled to get Scott the ball at times in the post yesterday, was hoping he might offset Wilcox's scoring. Seems like UDUB has our # in Seattle, now 1-7.

You just don't plug someone else in and replace that, unless you're one of the blue-bloods who grows 5* talent on trees. Even then, it's tough to overcome.

Even one of the blue bloods would have a difficult time replacing someone like Dinwiddie. There was no comparable replacement for Kentucky when Noel went down with a season ending injury

Furk.

Spencer deserves a chant at the UCLA game. I.feel sad for him. Yesterday could have literally cost him millions.

Felt sick for Sepencer all yesterday afternoon, such a tough break for him. The team losing his ability to get to the line and hit FT at a high % (especially late in games)will be sorely missed. I was surprised they struggled to get Scott the ball at times in the post yesterday, was hoping he might offset Wilcox's scoring. Seems like UDUB has our # in Seattle, now 1-7.

I think that is going to be the most difficult part, esp coming down the stretch and going into march.

Furk.

Spencer deserves a chant at the UCLA game. I.feel sad for him. Yesterday could have literally cost him millions.

I understand that the knee injury isn't good, but its not the end of career that it use to be. He is still a 6'6 guard with good range and game....it might delay the millions but I don't consider this injury to be the end of all good things for him

I understand that the knee injury isn't good, but its not the end of career that it use to be. He is still a 6'6 guard with good range and game....it might delay the millions but I don't consider this injury to be the end of all good things for him

I think you may have missed the operative word there.

I'm still stuck right in the Denial/Anger stages. I see that some of you seem to have made it to Bargaining.

:sad1:

Knees can, and often do, come back as strong or stronger than they were prior to the injury. Look at PRich as an example of this. My completely uninformed and totally baseless opinion is that this will force him to stick around another year. I hate the fact that an injury will be the reason he stays, but I'll certainly be glad to have him around for another year. He'll go into the league as a higher pick, (hopefully) and this will just be a bad memory.

I will never understand how a basketball player comes back from a torn ACL. In football, it makes sense. Football players go through such ridiculous strength and conditioning drills that they typically only tear knee ligaments due to the violent nature of the game. You don't see guys plant and blow out their knees like in basketball (I'm aware it occasionally happens still). Then on top of that, the surgery and recovery processes are much easier because they can take muscle out of the thighs instead of introducing foreign muscle.

Then when you add jumping and landing, two areas where a million things can go wrong, it's ridiculous to be expected to trust your knee again. That's why so often you see guys blow out the other knee, they don't properly use the reconstructed knee and it severely weakens the good one. That's why I was never against Rose taking so long to come back. It's like 95% mental, and if you're not ready to come back you shouldn't.

Interestingly, I've read several studies on the dangers of stretching. Doctors strongly advise against cold stretching, but even warm stretching leaves your ligaments prone to tearing. Crazy stuff. I'm hoping for the best for Dinwiddie. :(

Knees can, and often do, come back as strong or stronger than they were prior to the injury. Look at PRich as an example of this. My completely uninformed and totally baseless opinion is that this will force him to stick around another year. I hate the fact that an injury will be the reason he stays, but I'll certainly be glad to have him around for another year. He'll go into the league as a higher pick, (hopefully) and this will just be a bad memory.

I agree...I think it would be in his best interest to rehab and play another year at CU to show that he is back stronger than ever. Then enter as a senior in what could be a down 2015 draft.

I agree...I think it would be in his best interest to rehab and play another year at CU to show that he is back stronger than ever. Then enter as a senior in what could be a down 2015 draft.

On the other side of the coin, it could damage his stock if he doesn't come back as explosive as he was. Plus, the injury shows that he should grab the money while he can and it'd be nice to have an NBA team paying for the rehab.

It wouldn't surprise me if he's still gone.

On the other side of the coin, it could damage his stock if he doesn't come back as explosive as he was. Plus, the injury shows that he should grab the money while he can and it'd be nice to have an NBA team paying for the rehab.

Whichever way he wants to go with this, I understand. Would obviously love to have him back. But he needs to research this, talk with his family, pray on it (seems like a fairly religious guy), and make the right business decision.

Can't he still enter the draft, and chose not to hire an agent. That way if he gets his first round slot he can grab it and leave and if not, he can still come back and play for CU?

I agree with that, everyone needs to step up. It will be tougher, I'm not trying to sugarcoat that. I just don't think the season is "over." I'm not willing to concede that. I'm just saying injuries happen in sports even to the top players, you can't use that as excuses.

I agree with you if we had won the game (and a big if IMO even if Spencer plays the 2nd half, not like they were ahead 20 at halftime), we likely go undefeated into the UofA game in Tucson. I still think were going to host GameDay although that's less of a given now.

Even if we had Spencer and a 4th seed, it's not like we'd be a shoe-in to the Sweet 16. I get the optimism but we were just starting to scratch the surface of conference play, we barely beat Wazzu. We went 2-1 in our big OOC games. I actually think the most amazing thing was that we didn't lose any of the other OOC games. I was thinking 3-4 losses OOC play.

I'm not sure where I said the season was over. In fact, I've stated several times that we're likely still a tournament team. For anyone to argue that this doesn't significantly impact this team's ceiling is sunshine pumping at its finest, though.

In my mind, we need to make up, in part, for the loss by stepping up the defensive effort. Even if we can't make up for his lost points on offense, we can offset them, somewhat, at the defensive end.

Have been wondering and speculating about this with co-workers (assuming MRI is as feared). This is new ground for me - so for some of you that follow the sport beyond CU what are the thoughts.

As listed previously I believe - three options:

1) Declare eligible and likely take a 2nd round or free agent, non-guaranteed contract somewhere (Get rehabbed on NBA dime and then play D-league or Europe to see if he can be effective.
2) Don't declare, rehab via CU, and return mid-season next year in a hopefully shallow draft class. (risk ineffective or slow return and damaged draft stock)
3) RS next year - rehab and return for a full off season program in 2015-16

My questions are primarily around option 3. Is it possible or appealing for the player or program? He would get the benefit of a complete 18 month rehab - but there is always risk that his game is impacted and he doesn't return the same. For the program - having him around would be great for two years of behind the scenes work ethic and leadership, but would that throw off the recruiting cycles/development of Collier or other future recruits?

Whichever way he wants to go with this, I understand. Would obviously love to have him back. But he needs to research this, talk with his family, pray on it (seems like a fairly religious guy), and make the right business decision.

Agree wholeheartedly - take some time and think on it, and do what is right for he and his family. No one deserves the hand he just got dealt, so I fully support him and wish him the best no matter what.

Have been wondering and speculating about this with co-workers (assuming MRI is as feared). This is new ground for me - so for some of you that follow the sport beyond CU what are the thoughts.

As listed previously I believe - three options:

1) Declare eligible and likely take a 2nd round or free agent, non-guaranteed contract somewhere (Get rehabbed on NBA dime and then play D-league or Europe to see if he can be effective.
2) Don't declare, rehab via CU, and return mid-season next year in a hopefully shallow draft class. (risk ineffective or slow return and damaged draft stock)
3) RS next year - rehab and return for a full off season program in 2015-16

My questions are primarily around option 3. Is it possible or appealing for the player or program? He would get the benefit of a complete 18 month rehab - but there is always risk that his game is impacted and he doesn't return the same. For the program - having him around would be great for two years of behind the scenes work ethic and leadership, but would that throw off the recruiting cycles/development of Collier or other future recruits?

If he has torn his ACL he will be able to be back before the beginning of next season. The recovery time is now 6 months, which would put him in at the end of July. He would have 10 months before the start of the next college basketball season.

If he has torn his ACL he will be able to be back before the beginning of next season. The recovery time is now 6 months, which would put him in at the end of July. He would have 10 months before the start of the next college basketball season.

I would not bet on 6 months when a B-Ball player is involved. Jut ask Derek Rose or Danilo Gallinari

Derek Rose was physically healed. He was mentally unable to play. That may happen here too, but it is not because the injury is still healing.

I would not bet on 6 months when a B-Ball player is involved. Jut ask Derek Rose or Danilo Gallinari

Totally agree...depending on when the surgery gets done (Von Miller just had his surgery this week after injuring it almost a month ago) you are looking at December or January return. Depends on severity. Gallinari is going on 10 months now and no set date...he just started running and major rehab work a month ago.

We should be hearing something official soon. Spencer tweeted a pic of him and his mother in the waiting room 1.5 hours ago

There is that...plus if he still got drafted it would be to a good team late in the first round that didn't need him for 2014-15 but liked what he could bring to the team in following years.

My fear though is that if he comes out he ends up like the kid that hurt his knee in the Final Four for West Virginia a few years ago.

If there is no ligament damage and it's just a high sprain or dislocation what will be his time table to return.

Back