What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Spencer Dinwiddie Injury

I'm not sure where I said the season was over. In fact, I've stated several times that we're likely still a tournament team. For anyone to argue that this doesn't significantly impact this team's ceiling is sunshine pumping at its finest, though.
I don't think I said this doesn't significantly impact the team.

Would be a surprise if it's anything but that. Hopefully didn't tear his MCL as well

I would be really surprised if the MCL was involved. The injury shows the femur sliding forward, not laterally. The worst news would be an ACL & PCL tear.

PCL would be devastating. They can't/don't fix those.

Yes, they do.

They don't surgically fix it when it is an isolated PCL injury because, like the MCL, it has the ability to regenerate. They do surgically intervene when a PCL is involved with other ligament damage, such as an ACL and/or MCL tear.

The NBA pre-season stuff starts in the summer. He wouldn't be close to being ready and would be drafted accordingly. They'd have to draft him on potential.

Have been wondering and speculating about this with co-workers (assuming MRI is as feared). This is new ground for me - so for some of you that follow the sport beyond CU what are the thoughts.

As listed previously I believe - three options:

1) Declare eligible and likely take a 2nd round or free agent, non-guaranteed contract somewhere (Get rehabbed on NBA dime and then play D-league or Europe to see if he can be effective.
2) Don't declare, rehab via CU, and return mid-season next year in a hopefully shallow draft class. (risk ineffective or slow return and damaged draft stock)
3) RS next year - rehab and return for a full off season program in 2015-16

My questions are primarily around option 3. Is it possible or appealing for the player or program? He would get the benefit of a complete 18 month rehab - but there is always risk that his game is impacted and he doesn't return the same. For the program - having him around would be great for two years of behind the scenes work ethic and leadership, but would that throw off the recruiting cycles/development of Collier or other future recruits?

CU would love for #3 to happen. Any time you get to keep someone of that talent level around, you do whatever you can. But it's not an option. Spencer won't do it.

And everyone pointing out DRose and Gallo when it comes to ACL injuries, remember one thing - they're PROTECTING their financial future. They want to make sure they're 100% healthy before they put their body at risk - as they should. Spencer is trying to improve his financial future. He may be more aggressive in rehab because he needs to get back and prove what he can do. Plus, he's a few years younger than those guys so he may heal faster.

I'm with 'Nik - hoping he does whatever he decides is best, but I'm prepared for him to go pro no matter what. Honestly, it's probably the smart move for him.

Remember guys, they may not release the results publicly for a while.

Yeah. I would think they want to talk to family, coaches and teammates first. In today's world, though, there's a decent chance there will be a tweet before everyone on the team knows.

Yeah. I would think they want to talk to family, coaches and teammates first. In today's world, though, there's a decent chance there will be a tweet before everyone on the team knows.

Which is why I broke my "don't follow any current players on twitter" rule for Beau Gamble.

COME ON BEAU!

Word has to come out sometime soon. He Tweeted a selfie with his mom in the waiting room three hours ago. She flew out to be with him.

If it is the ACL, I hope he doesn't have Eric McCarty do the surgery. All the people I've known who have had the surgery fail had it done by him. Of course, that is a grand total of two, which is probably about half of what he does in an average day. No offense, Doc!

Do you have a link to video?
Yeah, I was trying to get it in that post but the CU internet outside of classrooms was being really ****ty. Here's the .gif...

[hide]
dinwidde-ouch.gif
[/hide]

due to HIPPA (health care privacy act) the results of the MRI will be released via CU with Spencer's permission. I'm sure that he knows at this point.

Word has to come out sometime soon. He Tweeted a selfie with his mom in the waiting room three hours ago. She flew out to be with him.

If it is the ACL, I hope he doesn't have Eric McCarty do the surgery. All the people I've known who have had the surgery fail had it done by him. Of course, that is a grand total of two, which is probably about half of what he does in an average day. No offense, Doc!

what do you mean fail? Was it a cadaver graft that the body rejected? Did they re-tear the ACL? Did they do a regular graft (patella/hammy/other) and that never healed due to lack of blood supply?

If it was anything close to good news I think Spencer would have already sent out a tweet.

what do you mean fail? Was it a cadaver graft that the body rejected? Did they re-tear the ACL? Did they do a regular graft (patella/hammy/other) and that never healed due to lack of blood supply?

I don't know. All I know is that they had to have the surgery again after being given the all-clear. In case you didn't catch it, I wasn't trying to impugn the Doctor. I'm sure he's got a thousand successful surgeries on his resume. It's just my anecdotal experience and he is the lead team Orthopedist, yes?

I don't know. All I know is that they had to have the surgery again after being given the all-clear. In case you didn't catch it, I wasn't trying to impugn the Doctor. I'm sure he's got a thousand successful surgeries on his resume. It's just my anecdotal experience and he is the lead team Orthopedist, yes?

You failed.

I think it would be a good idea for him to come up to Seattle and get the surgery done if he has ligament damage. I know a feel people who have blown out their knees playing a sport and they have all gotten there surgery done by the Seattle Seahawks team docter. They all recovered fast and have had no problems with it since.

I think it would be a good idea for him to come up to Seattle and get the surgery done if he has ligament damage. I know a feel people who have blown out their knees playing a sport and they have all gotten there surgery done by the Seattle Seahawks team docter. They all recovered fast and have had no problems with it since.

You have athletes from all over the world coming to see Dr Steadman in Vail.

I will happily donate to the cause if we can send him to the German doctor who fixed Kobe Bean Bryant's knee.

I've seen knees bend much more awkwardly and have it turn out to only be a sprain. Fingers crossed.

Back