What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Spring Game on March 18th

And the WRs?...
Arguably maybe the toughest position to call. The easy bet is Fields, Bobo, and Ross but with Ento coming on, Winfree coming back, and Shenault and Nixon arriving, I'm glad I'm not making the decision.
Add Jackson. He impressed and has a head start on the 3 incoming frosh.
Also Walker impressed this spring.

Add Jackson. He impressed and has a head start on the 3 incoming frosh.
Also Walker impressed this spring.
As good as Ento has become, he could add weight and strength and a redshirt might be something he entertains. Think 2018 with Ento, Winfree, Huntley, Walker, and the bevy of youngsters. An embarrassment of riches.

I think keeping the RS on Lytle is important. Having that WO who can give you some competent snaps and take mop-up duty is a big help.

I am also hoping that we don't need to worry about going three deep this year. Montez is a much better athlete than Sefo was but I hope that the coaches will limit the number of times he is running the ball. I also think that his running style lends itself more towards staying healthy, he has the speed to get outside and find the sideline or pick up a first down and slide. Also think based on last year and a little of the scrimmage that Montez has a better pocket sense and can avoid some of the big hits from pass rushers.

Sefo all to often seemed like he was looking for somebody to run into, not a recipe for staying healthy. He also often seemed to move into contact instead of away from it and he took a lot of big hits while he was standing high opening himself up to getting hurt. One of the toughest SOBs I've ever seen playing QB for CU (or anyone else) but it seemed like he played his whole career through various injuries due in part to his style of play.

We also know now, thanks to the 5.2 40 at the combine, that Sefo was bringing Offensive Guard-like speed to those QB powers. Bless that tough dude, but he was Slow with a capital S.

They are "paying attention" to one of the few scholarship players at a certain position during spring practices. Good input.

Probably an act of futility but responding to BB2 who had him listed as 3rd on his version of a depth chart.

Lots of opportunities for freshmen in the front seven to play. Any sort of depth chart there right now is mostly worthless IMO.
I would bet that Sparaco and maybe Callier have a shot. Sparaco because of his experience last year and then on campus this spring. Callier, because we lack pass rushers.
I also see an opportunity for one ILB, not even accounting for injuries. Gamboa, Lewis and Jones will need some help. Expect to see one ILB play in game 1, maybe 2. and I'd guess Landman (who has the most experience there) is automatic.
JVD (if healthy and ready to go). Not sure how much of a setback to S&C JVD will see from the surgery.
Carson Wells may also have a shot - but he is both young and not used to playing ILB.

Probably an act of futility but responding to BB2 who had him listed as 3rd on his version of a depth chart.
Well he did list White and Moeller ahead of him at the other ILB position. BB2 has keen insight into coming positional changes.

Well he did list White and Moeller ahead of him at the other ILB position. BB2 has keen insight into coming positional changes.

True, we could have him do our press guide and confuse the world.

Might see Noyer at Nose Tackle.

I see a guy like Landman coming in and competing day 1 for PT at ILB. We landed a couple good looking prospects there.

ILB is more instinctive than most positions, and the reads are easier in the 3-4.

Yep. Basically: maintain inside leverage in pursuit and if you ever let anyone run clean through the 2 gap you're in deep ****.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Van Diest a ILB?
I know there's an injury there, but that should be cleared up by Fall, shouldn't it?

And yeah, I know it's not a great idea to depend on a Freshman, but it's not like the entire defense will be Freshmen.

Good programs rely on freshmen at certain positions all the time. There is a folly in actually NOT expecting certain true freshmen to play a lot. Should happen annually if you are recruiting right.

I think you have Gamboa, Lewis, Maka and Jones through the two deep. If you need you can rotate Falo from OLB. Gamboa is slow but one of the best we've had in years. Lewis...we will see. Maka and Jones need Heavyweight Gainer 900 on continuous beer bong...but otherwise have a year in. Could even bring in White as a hybrid LB/safety like Jabril Peppers (as opposed to 'buff-back.') A little wispy off the bench, but that's a fair number of options.

The new kids need a year in the S&C program and they need to learn the large sum of the little things; like how to tackle.

Numbers very rarely equal depth.

And the legend of Gamboa seems to grow every week here. The best ILB in the program for the last several years was true freshman Addison Gillam and it is not close. Don't force redshirts when it makes little sense.

I don't know...I think Mr. Gamboa may be a pretty good college LB. Big dude, not athletic, but extremely instinctual. JLtheMF knew him some LBs, and he called Gamboa the smartest LB he had ever coached.

I don't know...I think Mr. Gamboa may be a pretty good college LB. Big dude, not athletic, but extremely instinctual. JLtheMF knew him some LBs, and he called Gamboa the smartest LB he had ever coached.

If he turns out to be a chris spielman type, I'm just fine with that but....

I think Landman will be more ready than JVD, who looked small and skinny in Feb. And he's probably missing some key S&C right now as i believe he had recent shoulder surgery.

Definitely agree landman is the leader to get playing time inside next year but won't count out JVD since he plays with the mentality you want from an ILB. Wells has the size but seems like they just moved him around in high school and told him to go get the ball so who knows if he has the mental part of it down.

Back