What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Spring Game on March 18th

Surfing through the telecast. Interview with DJ Eliot was interesting where he was put on the spot to name some players who they need to get ready to play. Seemed to be searching for words. A little odd 14 practices into spring.
I noticed this too, couldn't get Akil Jones' name right...then struggled to recall pretty much anyone else's name. Granted there's 100's of other reasons this could have happened, maybe he just hates interviews? But it was strange.

Did you guys not stay to the end? How is no one talking about the walk on qb Casey Marksberry? He proved himself to be the backup. That kid stunned and shined. Had everyone impressed.

I think he at least showed enough to allow Lytle to keep the redshirt on if we needed our 3rd QB in there for mop up duty.

I noticed this too, couldn't get Akil Jones' name right...then struggled to recall pretty much anyone else's name. Granted there's 100's of other reasons this could have happened, maybe he just hates interviews? But it was strange.
It could simply be nerves and I can accept that.

I liked what I saw from the QBs, but do not think it is close between Montez and Noyer. A controlled scrimmage is not really going to show the strengths of Montez.

Did you guys not stay to the end? How is no one talking about the walk on qb Casey Marksberry? He proved himself to be the backup. That kid stunned and shined. Had everyone impressed.

Proved himself to be #2? Not really.

I liked what I saw from the QBs, but do not think it is close between Montez and Noyer. A controlled scrimmage is not really going to show the strengths of Montez.

Yeah. Montez took off on that run up the middle that was blown dead but might have got 40 yards in a real game. The zone read on the goal line, too. He makes plays with his legs that put a defense on its heels. Pocket passing with a vanilla offense against a vanilla defense isn't going to show off most of what makes him special.

This needs to be the last year of the glorified practice.

Next year and beyond they need to be playing a competitive scrimmage. Create some excitement, make it fun for the players and the fans.

Build it till we are seeing 20,000 people make an afternoon out of it. Turn it into something the players really look forward to and something that they can use to show recruits who want to do an unofficial that there is energy here.
I flat out didn't come because it was a practice. I want a spring GAME.

IMO Casey Marksberry was the offensive player of the day and Dante Wigley on defense. He is def going to help fill Tedric Thompson's shoes.

I think he at least showed enough to allow Lytle to keep the redshirt on if we needed our 3rd QB in there for mop up duty.

I think keeping the RS on Lytle is important. Having that WO who can give you some competent snaps and take mop-up duty is a big help.

I am also hoping that we don't need to worry about going three deep this year. Montez is a much better athlete than Sefo was but I hope that the coaches will limit the number of times he is running the ball. I also think that his running style lends itself more towards staying healthy, he has the speed to get outside and find the sideline or pick up a first down and slide. Also think based on last year and a little of the scrimmage that Montez has a better pocket sense and can avoid some of the big hits from pass rushers.

Sefo all to often seemed like he was looking for somebody to run into, not a recipe for staying healthy. He also often seemed to move into contact instead of away from it and he took a lot of big hits while he was standing high opening himself up to getting hurt. One of the toughest SOBs I've ever seen playing QB for CU (or anyone else) but it seemed like he played his whole career through various injuries due in part to his style of play.

I mentioned him in my 2 cent post. Very athletic kid, I was impressed.

The back foot critique is more about not stepping into the throw and having a clean follow through, which is clearly the case in this throw and many others. He needs to clean it up.

yeah it's not like he's throwing fadeaways or something, but he clearly doesn't step into his throws frequently. He doesn't really use his legs to throw, which is kind of amazing at the same time. Dude has a cannon

Depth chart prediction going into fall. Backups for some positions still up for grabs.

QB- Montez, Noyer, Lytle
RB- Lindsay, Adkins, Bisherat
TE- Keeney, Frazier, Bounds
LT- Irwin, Kaiser
LG- Kough
C- Huckins
RG- Lynott
RT- Haigler

DE- Mulumba,Franke
NT- Edwards, Tuiloma, Lopez
DE- Jackson, Umu
OLB- Mccarthney,Hamilton
ILB- Gamboa, Jones, Lewis
ILB- White, Moeler
OLB- Hasselbach, Falo
FS- Fisher
SS- Laguda
CB- Oliver, Wigley
CB- Udofia, 'Blackmon, Julmisse

This is just my personal observations heading to fall.

Freshman level mechanics

Graduate level arm strength.

I have a hunch that by the end of this season a lot of teams around the country would be perfectly happy with those "freshman level mechanics" if they could have the total package that goes with it.

Lots of opportunities for freshmen in the front seven to play. Any sort of depth chart there right now is mostly worthless IMO.

ILB is going to be a major, major problem in 2017. I think the Dline really hid that position for the most part in 2016. Gonna have to hope the new Dlineman can take a big step forward in fall camp, otherwise I really think that is the most glaring weakness on this team.

Think we can be solid throughout the rest of the team. Team has good athleticism and size even compared to last years spring game, IMO.

Last edited:
I think we are going to see Lewis on the field, coaches have talked about him and that means they are paying attention to him.

Im not worried about one ILB spot as Gamboa is a very smart, good player there. Just isn't fast at all. The other spot... We will see. I think both Jones and Maka are a year and teb lbs away from being majot contributors, but both have great potential.

Im not worried about one ILB spot as Gamboa is a very smart, good player there. Just isn't fast at all. The other spot... We will see. I think both Jones and Maka are a year and teb lbs away from being majot contributors, but both have great potential.
Having Javier is going to be huge for these guys. He looks like a guy who can eat up blockers and keep the ILBs clean.

Depth chart prediction going into fall. Backups for some positions still up for grabs.

QB- Montez, Noyer, Lytle
RB- Lindsay, Adkins, Bisherat
TE- Keeney, Frazier, Bounds
LT- Irwin, Kaiser
LG- Kough
C- Huckins
RG- Lynott
RT- Haigler

DE- Mulumba,Franke
NT- Edwards, Tuiloma, Lopez
DE- Jackson, Umu
OLB- Mccarthney,Hamilton
ILB- Gamboa, Jones, Lewis
ILB- White, Moeler
OLB- Hasselbach, Falo
FS- Fisher
SS- Laguda
CB- Oliver, Wigley
CB- Udofia, 'Blackmon, Julmisse

This is just my personal observations heading to fall.
And the WRs?...
Arguably maybe the toughest position to call. The easy bet is Fields, Bobo, and Ross but with Ento coming on, Winfree coming back, and Shenault and Nixon arriving, I'm glad I'm not making the decision.

Having Javier is going to be huge for these guys. He looks like a guy who can eat up blockers and keep the ILBs clean.
I see what you did there

javier-edwards.jpg

Back