What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Spring Practice/Game

A showcase instead of an actual game...my favorite one was Ralphie V's debut.

What's so special about a showcase again?

A showcase instead of an actual game...my favorite one was Ralphie V's debut.

What's so special about a showcase again?

giphy.gif

SMH. A kicker to CB. Now I have seen it all. At least another OL is out of the mix, the depth there is abysmal. 13 OL on the roster, 5 freshmen.

People go to spring games to see, well, a semblance of a game. When you don't have enough people to form two competent OL's to oppose one another, you run a showcase complete with random people running rope drills. What's not to love?
The infuriating thing about it is that we have been in the exact same spot every year for the last 10+ years. I think Hawkins was the last coach to actually field a real spring game (my memory is super fuzzy on that, though). This isn’t how programs who have their **** together operate.

Oh, and there are now nine, yes NINE, QBs on the roster.
When McCown gets on campus this Summer/Fall, that will technically make 9 if you include Oakie who is listed as an Athlete on the roster, with 3 of them being PWOs.

Honestly, after last season where they only had 1 QB who they could legitimately send out there to throw passes, I'll take it, especially knowing that the loser of the Shrout/Lewis QB1 competition this Spring, probably transfers, and that Oakie is almost assuredly never going to actually play QB for this program. To me, they go into Fall camp with 4 scholarship QBs, one of which is a True Freshman who is going to RS, and another in Carter who likely is never going to play here either.

QB1 - Shrout/Lewis
QB2 - Kopp

When McCown gets on campus this Summer/Fall, that will technically make 9 if you include Oakie who is listed as an Athlete on the roster, with 3 of them being PWOs.

Honestly, after last season where they only had 1 QB who they could legitimately send out there to throw passes, I'll take it, especially knowing that the loser of the Shrout/Lewis QB1 competition this Spring, probably transfers, and that Oakie is almost assuredly never going to actually play QB for this program. To me, they go into Fall camp with 4 scholarship QBs, one of which is a True Freshman who is going to RS, and another in Carter who likely is never going to play here either.

QB1 - Shrout/Lewis
QB2 - Kopp
Kopp at QB2. OH MY...

I’d give Oakie a serious shot at safety. It’s a position of need and he might work out there.

My MIL watches the Home Shopping Network on TV and that’s where you will hear the word Showcase, most often in connection with cheap costume jewelry. It’s not a word that inspires confidence.

I’d give Oakie a serious shot at safety. It’s a position of need and he might work out there.

My MIL watches the Home Shopping Network on TV and that’s where you will hear the word Showcase, most often in connection with cheap costume jewelry. It’s not a word that inspires confidence.
The roster lists him at 6'4" 220. I had no idea he had that kind of size. He is already an awful big safety, and may morph into a S/LB type. He could end up being a huge steal.

The roster lists him at 6'4" 220. I had no idea he had that kind of size. He is already an awful big safety, and may morph into a S/LB type. He could end up being a huge steal.
Yeah, if he got any bigger he’d be more a LB type. I also wouldn’t be shocked he he turns out to be a major steal.

9 QBs on the surface may look out of balance, but for the vast majority of HS programs, the QB is usually the best all-around player on the team (at least in my limited 17 years of high school coaching). So you bring those guys in and move them to different positions where they can apply their skills. Remember, Ronnie Wolfork came to CU as a QB and grew into an OLB that had a few NFL seasons. Outside of O & D linemen, give me as many QBs as possible.
Now the unbalanced linemen recruiting is a whole other issue.

As to the internal lack of enthusiasm/marketing for a Spring game event, it’s just another sign of the institutional misery permeating the program.

I’m even feeling kind of sorry for KD lately. Money is nice but he surely didn’t sign on for this cluster.

FWIW I just perused the Spring roster on the CU website and HOLY HELL, the talent outside of our projected starters is sooooo bad. There are players that might be fighting for backup roles that are borderline DII level.

I mean I have been at the forefront of the pessimists around here, but even I am stunned.
Yeah, it is pretty bleak. There is some talent on the roster, but the depth is rice paper thin. CU could field a starting O and D that might pull 2-3 wins, but a spate of injuries would turn every game into a track meet for the opposition.

The infuriating thing about it is that we have been in the exact same spot every year for the last 10+ years. I think Hawkins was the last coach to actually field a real spring game (my memory is super fuzzy on that, though). This isn’t how programs who have their **** together operate.
For what it’s worth 🤷‍♂️

Back