What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

The 2021-2022 Coaching Carousel

Venables to OU ("verbal") per Bleacher Report. Strongly rumored on multiple tweets.

Edit: Oops. Fell for the okie-doke.

Last edited:
I assume the proximity to Texas and joining the SEC will keep them at a big time program level, but is there any chance that program permanently takes a step back to a lower tier? Not to the extent ****braska has, necessarily, but maybe just more of a tier two kind of program?

They’ve just had Stoops and Riley for 22 years to continue the momentum, and I’m just wondering if Norman, OK is a place where blue chip kids are still going to want to be, ala Lincoln, NE
Whats your definition of tier 2-consistently winning 8 or 9 games like Wisconsin and Utah find a way to do?

I think it could be, sure. OU under Riley was up and down defensively-and Venables is the best DC in the sport IMO. Question would be who is his OC?

I mean Venables' OU history and his reluctance to leave Clemson. Maybe he really is the one guy who understands that being an elite level DC is his ceiling and he's perfectly content making 2.5m under Dabo at Clemson and has no ambition for more.

Yep, because a 12-6 record in a second tier G5 conference screams, "just a small step below Lincoln Riley".
Still a better fit there then some of the guys with connections to Chris Petersen I kept hearing-Wilcox and Harsin in particular. They need a fresh start after the disaster that Lake was.

There will be a lot of pressure on Bob Stoops to take the job. I don’t think he wants the job, but if they throw $10MM/yr at him fully guaranteed for 5 years, does he say no?

I mean Venables' OU history and his reluctance to leave Clemson. Maybe he really is the one guy who understands that being an elite level DC is his ceiling and he's perfectly content making 2.5m under Dabo at Clemson and has no ambition for more.
A couple things to respond to this-OU rarely ever hires sitting head coaches. Tramel said they've done it once (Schellenberger) and it was a disaster for them. Venables hasn't gotten a shot at a job he can't turn down I don't think, and he's also got a pretty good relationship with the OU AD-his move to Clemson wasn't anything like Heupel leaving there (my understanding was he left of his own accord).

Still a better fit there then some of the guys with connections to Chris Petersen I kept hearing-Wilcox and Harsin in particular. They need a fresh start after the disaster that Lake was.
DeBoer may end up being a great hire, but he feels more like a good hire for CU, not UW. Washington is supposed to be a pretty good job with a lot of resources and institutional support. Just feels a bit underwhelming for them, but maybe I'm wrong.

There will be a lot of pressure on Bob Stoops to take the job. I don’t think he wants the job, but if they throw $10MM/yr at him fully guaranteed for 5 years, does he say no?
Tramel said on Dan Patrick he's happy to step in and save their class and coach the bowl game.....but doesn't think he wants back in full time.

I think OU is smart enough to understand this would be a last resort move and so is Stoops. Castiglione doesn't have his reputation for no reason.

DeBoer may end up being a great hire, but he feels more like a good hire for CU, not UW. Washington is supposed to be a pretty good job with a lot of resources and institutional support. Just feels a bit underwhelming for them, but maybe I'm wrong.
Could it be the glut of other really good jobs this year? Florida, LSU, USC, and Oklahoma are all better than Washington as a coaching job at least IMO.

Could it be the glut of other really good jobs this year? Florida, LSU, USC, and Oklahoma are all better than Washington as a coaching job at least IMO.
For sure, and they were never swimming in that pond. I would just think someone like Grinch, Sataki, Wilcox, maybe Chip, Joe Moorehead, etc are the type of names they'd be in the market for.

A couple things to respond to this-OU rarely ever hires sitting head coaches. Tramel said they've done it once (Schellenberger) and it was a disaster for them. Venables hasn't gotten a shot at a job he can't turn down I don't think, and he's also got a pretty good relationship with the OU AD-his move to Clemson wasn't anything like Heupel leaving there (my understanding was he left of his own accord).

OU hasn't had to run a real coaching search in 25 years. I think those points are therefore irrelevant.

This largely is uncharted territory for OU.

Back