What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

The 2021-2022 Coaching Carousel

DeBoer may end up being a great hire, but he feels more like a good hire for CU, not UW. Washington is supposed to be a pretty good job with a lot of resources and institutional support. Just feels a bit underwhelming for them, but maybe I'm wrong.
DeBoer seems to have the reputation as one of the big time up and comers

Feels like a solid hire for UW assuming he can assemble a halfway decent staff.
It just occurred to me that with all the coaching changes. There will be about 20 OC positions open this year. We might not have a very deep pool to fish in.

There will be a lot of pressure on Bob Stoops to take the job. I don’t think he wants the job, but if they throw $10MM/yr at him fully guaranteed for 5 years, does he say no?

New OU coach is going to need a ton of energy for recruiting in the SEC and Stoops is 61. OU has a good history of hiring or promoting non-head coaches to their HC position. Chuck Fairbanks was 33 when he unexpectedly took over the OU job after their previous HC died. Barry Switzer was about 35-36 when he took over for Fairbanks in 1973. Stoops wasn't even 40 when he was hired back in 1999. Gary Gibbs was even under 40 when hired to replace Switzer...he was a decent coach undone by NCAA sanctions for violations that occurred under Switzer's watch.

Last time OU went the proven coach route, Howard Schellenberger lasted just one season. Stoops would be a disaster hire and a last resort like others noted. History shows that OU will highly likely hire a young coach.

Now looking back at CU's past coaches, Eddie Crowder was just 31 when he started in Boulder and the Buffs did pretty good in that case. Bill Mallory wasn't even 40 when he replaced Crowder. Bill McCartney was 42 and Ricky Neushiel was 34. Gary Barnett was 52 when he was hired as the coach.

Chuck Fairbanks...you know how much of a failure he was and he was over 40 when he came to Boulder. MacIntyre was about 50 and HCKD is in his 50's. Mel Tucker appears to be an exception in this case.

It's pretty clear what Rick George needs to do when it's time to repalce HCKD.

I mean Venables' OU history and his reluctance to leave Clemson. Maybe he really is the one guy who understands that being an elite level DC is his ceiling and he's perfectly content making 2.5m under Dabo at Clemson and has no ambition for more.
I agree. It seems like Venables has declined to even interview for open jobs and his name has come up plenty of times.

A couple things to respond to this-OU rarely ever hires sitting head coaches. Tramel said they've done it once (Schellenberger) and it was a disaster for them. Venables hasn't gotten a shot at a job he can't turn down I don't think, and he's also got a pretty good relationship with the OU AD-his move to Clemson wasn't anything like Heupel leaving there (my understanding was he left of his own accord).
His leaving OU was not all that pleasant. He had been very loyal to Bob Stoops coming to OU with him from KSU. He held the role AHC/DC/LB coach from 2004-2011 when in 2012 Bob announced that his brother Mike (recently fired at AZ) was coming back to OU as co-DC and was going to be calling the defense. A couple of weeks later Venables took the DC job with Clemson. A lot of OU fans had wanted Venables fired because OU was giving up a lot of points.

Kelly has a massive ego. Not unusual or even negative for a HC, just stating a fact. That ego has led him to believing that he is doing more with less at ND than any coach in the country & he sincerely believes that if he didn't have admissions standards he would dominate college football.

He reached his ceiling at ND and he knows he’s never going to get on the same level of recruiting there. ND is a great job, but LSU provides a better chance to win a Natty.
In the last 20 years, only two schools have won nattys with more than one coach: LSU and tOSU - and LSU did it 3 times, with 3 different coaches.

If you're an elite coach that can't seem to break through, LSU might be *the* place to do it.

Back