What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

The all-in-one Hawkins thread

Re: Transfers

A lot of Dan's recruits at Boise went to the NFL (for a non-BCS). And they were by and large 2* prospects. At CU, he's pulled in higher caliber guys. We've got plenty of guys with pro potential, but they're almost all freshmen and sophomores.

From the junior class, Jimmy and Nate should play in the league. Herrod and Jalil have a shot. Scotty won't get drafted, but he should get an UFA opportunity. Beatty may have a chance, too (2-year starter who had Jones beat out last year before the injury).

From the freshmen and sophomores, in most cases it's too early to tell. Simas has been making a strong argument that he's going to be an absolute stud the next couple years and I'd expect him to play in the League. We'll see on the others. Lots of guys with potential that we've seen on the field (Miller, Givens, Max, Polk, Major, Rippy, Stewart, Deehan, etc.).

Edit: People probably don't want to hear this right now, but our young talent is pretty good. IMO, it's the reason we've held close in some games despite mistakes and being outcoached.

Re: Money is an object

To believe DBT that the money is not there, or to believe Chris Fowler that the money is there...........

The only economic argument is if Benson and DiStefano were getting heat from the Legislature. But seeing as those ****wits can't adequately fund the academics of THE state university, they shouldn't be putting in their ****ing noses into this. The buyout would've come from private donations directly to the AD, so DiStefano can't be pulling the "everyone's facing budget cuts so everyone's gotta share" bull****.

There is no other legitimate economics argument. Period.

Re: At this hour

i'm not buying this **** about keeping talkins for one second hell NO..he is toast so come next week when the smoke clears and the bs stop's and talkins is out i better get lots of green reps...:gobuffs:

Re: just a thought, not sure even i agree with this

So if we all stop supporting (buying tix etc), as many have suggested and have a right to do, we all agree that it has a negative financial impact on the program at least for the long haul.

Since it seems that Distephano made this call why make the AD suffer? Why not continue to support the AD but stop all donations to the university? I myself send a good chunk of change to the Leeds school every year. If we quit supporting the school would it help Distephano see the link between a successful athletic department and a successful school?

Im of the opinion that if you are a routine donor in a non athletic capacity your "missed" donation next year will be heard pretty loudly. I don't like it any more than you do but money talks and bullshit walks.

Even better. Write out your check. Photo copy it. Mail in the photo copy with this note on it;

"You'll get the real check when CU wins its next Big 12 Championship".

To deliver anything less, including firing Hawkins, DiStefano, and Benson would be window dressing. If they win a Big12 title game then a commitment to excellence has been made.

I imagine this will affect those kinds of donations as well.

So if we all stop supporting (buying tix etc), as many have suggested and have a right to do, we all agree that it has a negative financial impact on the program at least for the long haul.

Since it seems that Distephano made this call why make the AD suffer? Why not continue to support the AD but stop all donations to the university? I myself send a good chunk of change to the Leeds school every year. If we quit supporting the school would it help Distephano see the link between a successful athletic department and a successful school?

Ideally people stop supporting the school monetarily as a whole, so they really feel the pain.

The only economic argument is if Benson and DiStefano were getting heat from the Legislature. But seeing as those ****wits can't adequately fund the academics of THE state university, they shouldn't be putting in their ****ing noses into this. The buyout would've come from private donations directly to the AD, so DiStefano can't be pulling the "everyone's facing budget cuts so everyone's gotta share" bull****.

There is no other legitimate economics argument. Period.

They are getting heat from the regents. Paraphrasing..."It's Phil's campus, but don't come whining to the legislature if you need $$$ when you just bought out the highest paid employee in the state". In the Denver Post article over the weekend. THIS IS WHAT SAVED HAWK's JOB. Direct shot over the bow.

Edit: People probably don't want to hear this right now, but our young talent is pretty good. IMO, it's the reason we've held close in some games despite mistakes and being outcoached.

I don't disagree with this statement at all. That is why I wanted to see a coach come in that had some coaching ability. Anyone, and I mean anyone, who can coach a lick can have an immediate winner with the team we have right now.

Unfortunately, Hawk has proven in his body of work that he does not have that ability.

Hope to hell these kids are bought in and stay regardless. However, I do worry about those true freshman with redshirts remaining and the redshirt freshman who make up a lot of that talented group.

AD questions.

First of all, how much does Bohn make? Second, why the hell even have an AD if you wont let him make the descisions of an AD? If what has been said is true, Id tell the CU administration to go **** themselves and resign.

Re: If he is staying

Agreed. Point is, do you think Mr Jones comes into this program? He and other promising recruits will avoid CU like the plague.

You may be right. But there's been no indication that anyone is even looking around except for Spond. And that came out when it started looking like Hawkins was getting fired (and after we'd gotten the verbal from Munchie, another QB). So, it could be that we lose guys. But it could be that we land guys who were on the fence because they were unsure the coaches they'd developed relationships would be here next year. I guess we'll see how it plays out, but it's not all bad.

On Jones specifically, he has said that he has formed a bond with Hagan. He's been at the home game selling our official visitors hard during the past couple home games. I believe he's solid.

A lot of Dan's recruits at Boise went to the NFL (for a non-BCS). And they were by and large 2* prospects. At CU, he's pulled in higher caliber guys. We've got plenty of guys with pro potential, but they're almost all freshmen and sophomores.

From the junior class, Jimmy and Nate should play in the league. Herrod and Jalil have a shot. Scotty won't get drafted, but he should get an UFA opportunity. Beatty may have a chance, too (2-year starter who had Jones beat out last year before the injury).

From the freshmen and sophomores, in most cases it's too early to tell. Simas has been making a strong argument that he's going to be an absolute stud the next couple years and I'd expect him to play in the League. We'll see on the others. Lots of guys with potential that we've seen on the field (Miller, Givens, Max, Polk, Major, Rippy, Stewart, Deehan, etc.).

We'll see how much of that young talent is still here next season.

Re: OK, lets start taking names. How about an accountable poll?

I will always be a Buff fan and have been since I was six. But I absolutely HATE the thought of having Hawk anywhere near this program beyond Friday. Will take a LOT of victories next season to even get me to think about changing my mind about him and his coaching ability.

Jumping to Conclusions.

Your all doing it and some are looking like jackasses along the way. Wait for the news to break.

Just my advice.

Happy Thanksgiving. There are things more important than this.

I realize that this sounds naive in the business world, but is their any chance that they could not get who they wanted and that person or others may become available next year? Maybe they didn't want to incur the expense of replacing Hawkins with someone of the same caliber.

Re: AD questions.

Bohn makes about $300k. Griffin blog

All AD salaries are in the report from Bloomberg News. LINK. Bohn's below the average salary for an AD ($324,779) even when you include every 1-A conference (Sun Belt, et al).

School Athletic Director School Budget A.D. Salary % of Total Budget
Kansas Lew Perkins $57.8M $900,000 1.557%
Oklahoma Joe Castiglione $73.6M $700,000 .951%
Texas A&M Bill Byrne $69.1M $690,000 .999%
Texas DeLoss Dodds $101.0M $627,109 .621%
Iowa State Jamie Pollard $41.8M $378,560 .906%
Okla. State Mike Holder $46.4M $377,396 .813%
Texas Tech Gerald Myers $46.1M $365,000 .792%
Colorado Mike Bohn $45.1M $297,709 .660%
Kansas State Robert Krause $42.0M $294,466 .701%
Missouri Mike Alden $47.8M $287,375 .601%
Nebraska Tom Osborne $75.2M $261,000 .347%
BIG 12 AVERAGE
$58.7M $470,783 .802%

Last edited:

Gotta love people climbing up on their high horses.

Agree with DallasBuff and others, but I was going to get season tickets for next year since I will no longer be a student....if Hawk is still here, I will not.

My only glimmer of hope is that a restructured buyout allows us to invest more into a new head-coach next season... naieve... I know

Re: Dan Hawkins Show on 850 KOA right now

Hawk comparing OSUs backup quarterback to Barry Sanders? Now Hawk referring to himself in the 3rd person. Hawk a half-full guy, whatever that means. Certainly he is full of himself. Slip of tongue, referring to Tyler as Cody.

Last edited:

To believe DBT that the money is not there, or to believe Chris Fowler that the money is there...........
I'm not saying the money isn't there. I'm just saying that, given ALL the economic decisions they would have to make, maybe THEY think that buying out Hawkins at this point is not the best way to go.

I'm arguing that this is what THE ADMIN THINKS. Why the hell do you people think I'M the bad guy. You guys are so blind with anger, you do not look at the BIG PICTURE here. Decisions at this level are not made easily. It is easy to make the decision on a God damned message board.

I realize that this sounds naive in the business world, but is their any chance that they could not get who they wanted and that person or others may become available next year? Maybe they didn't want to incur the expense of replacing Hawkins with someone of the same caliber.

There's a very good chance that no one they could attract was worth a $3 million risk decision (especially high political risk for the Regents in the midst of statewide budget shortfalls). Frankly, if Hawkins re-negotiated his buyout in exchange for another year he may have made this decision easy for the powers that be.

Re: AD questions.

First of all, how much does Bohn make? Second, why the hell even have an AD if you wont let him make the descisions of an AD? If what has been said is true, Id tell the CU administration to go **** themselves and resign.

Keep in mind we do not know the contents of tommorows announcement.

To go along with the theme I'd say that MB just got violated in a public manner by his bosses. And in a way that may render him completely ineffective as AD forever. Consider this; He had to have had their blessing to work the boosters for money to buy out Hawkins all these weeks. Your not going to go around asking for the money only to end up giving it back. That kind of back handed bait and switch crap has consequences. If what was alleged here that DiStefano and Benson met with Hawkins behind Bohns back is true then I'd look for another job. In fact, I'd announce my resignation tommorow.

Last edited:
Back