What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

The all-in-one Hawkins thread

just a note to Buffalo Brad: Cincinnati is not a school better than Colorado or one that values academics over athletics. when Bob Huggins was at Cincy, it's alleged he never graduated one player.

Understand on quality of education, but small school, no facilities (not even a practice field - they practice in their stadium), etc. **** it, it does not matter. We are stuck with the Hawkster and another year of poor football. Time to move on.

Time to focus on pounding the nibblets!

Go Buffs!

Sent last night.

Mr. DiStefano and Mr. Bohn,

I am truly hoping everyone has the story wrong at this point based on what I am hearing and reading. If the story about Dan Hawkins being retained next year are true, the University of Colorado has thrown in the towel on trying to be an institution with a competitive athletic department. As I have said int he past, I am a two time graduate of the University and love CU. It is now not what I fell in love with. Mr DiStefano, if you have trumped Mr. Bohn's decision authority in this process, you are not the man I thought you were. If that has happened, Mike I hope your announcement tomorrow includes your resignation. That move would garner more respect from myself and many of the CU faithful and your saying that you could not work under these conditions would be fair. CU would not deserve your services any longer.

The short sighted decisions will only create more significant issues next year. Do you not think that the Hawk being fired watch will not begin again when we lose our first 5 out of 6 games? How many games does he have to win next year to save his job? 3 to 4? Gentleman, he has won 16 total games in 4 years. He is the first coach to have 4 consecutive losing seasons. His teams are getting worse not better. The team is undisciplined and penalized at a rate that is exceeded by only 1 or 2 other teams in all of Div 1 football (ranked 119). He is driving off some of the best talent to come into the program. He plays walk-ons because they bring their lunch pail to practice while the best talent is left to return kicks. This program has become a joke under him and Mr. DiStefano you are a major enabler at this point. If you think paying Mr. Hawkins $3.1 million is expensive, wait until you see 20,000 empty seats per game next year. That is lost revenue on tickets, concessions, logo merchandise, etc. The total will quickly erase the money you think you are saving. You would be seeing these types of decreases this year of Mr. Bohn had not worked his tail off to market the program with $5 seats, two for one deals, etc. You have to have seen a major decrease in revenue this year based on the programs that you have had to employ to get seats sold.

In closing, I hope you re-evaluate this decision. Heck, I cannot even compare Colorado with Stanford, Northwestern, Iowa St, Baylor, Vandy or other typical 2nd tier teams who supposedly have higher academic standards than CU. These teams are winning! I guess we will all see what happens tomorrow. It will be interesting to see the reaction at Folsom on Friday if we get beat and get beat badly. You may want to have extra security on site based on some of the reactions that we have seen in the past. Oh, by the way, that is an additional cost which brings the break even a little closer.

Have a happy Thanksgiving and Go Buffs!

Anyone curious about why this big rush to make an announcement today?

What if they announce Hawkins is coming back and then we get absolutely annihilated on national TV tomorrow..... definitely a good possibility of happening.....now imagine the uproar and stink this would leave on every fan & donor's mouth going into the offseason

If this scenario plays out, I don't know how DiStefano or Bohn could sleep at night

My understanding from a post article that I am too lazy to link is that Bohn was pissed that this had been leaked and wanted to put an end to the circus. Plain and simple wanted the **** to stop being stirred.

I want to wish everyone a Happy Thanksgiving!!!

If Hawkins is retained and after reading Phil D's comments this morning I am reaching the conclusion that CU has zero interest in being a top athletic program. I have been suspecting it for the last couple of years but this seals the deal.

I have stuck with the Buffs since the 60's no matter how bleak. Now I have reached a crossroads - I will go to the game tomorrow and cheer for the Buffs like I always do. But come the spring I am not sure that I will renew my season tickets and I definitely will not be contributing at the level that I have in the past. I just cannot see supporting an operation that has such low objectives...if I wanted to do that I could buy stock in a newspaper.

I have not like decisions in the past, I did not like the coaching search for Mac's replacement, I did not like Barnett getting fired, I did not like the way that the Patton situation was handled but I have always given the AD the benefit of the doubt. That has come to an end. My doubts far outweigh and rationalization that I can come up with for retaining a bad coach.

If Hawkins is retained and after reading Phil D's comments this morning I am reaching the conclusion that CU has zero interest in being a top athletic program. I have been suspecting it for the last couple of years but this seals the deal.

I have stuck with the Buffs since the 60's no matter how bleak. Now I have reached a crossroads - I will go to the game tomorrow and cheer for the Buffs like I always do. But come the spring I am not sure that I will renew my season tickets and I definitely will not be contributing at the level that I have in the past. I just cannot see supporting an operation that has such low objectives...if I wanted to do that I could buy stock in a newspaper.

Well said. The comments in today's Post are extremely discouraging. Winning is no longer a primary concern for the administration and the AD.

I am not renewing my season tickets. No need to. I can find plenty of cheap tickets (4 for $40, half price, etc.) for the 2-3 games I plan on attending next season without having to renew my season tickets. I sit with my brother and he is not renewing either. So there is four season tickets available.

I have stuck with the Buffs since the 60's no matter how bleak. Now I have reached a crossroads - I will go to the game tomorrow and cheer for the Buffs like I always do. But come the spring I am not sure that I will renew my season tickets and I definitely will not be contributing at the level that I have in the past.

And you are exactly the type of 'fan' Bohn and DiStephano are counting on to backup their decision to keep Hawk around. In the end you are to blame for this.

You want to be a real fan, rip up your tickets and spend the first half trying to deliver them to the leadership up there... They pull the security stuff at halftime anyway, so you can still just walk up and see the second half if you want to see what happens.

Anyone who goes to the game or gives them ANY money from here on out is just as much a part of the problem as the leadership is.

Thanks!

Well said. The comments in today's Post are extremely discouraging. Winning is no longer a primary concern for the administration and the AD.

I am not renewing my season tickets. No need to. I can find plenty of cheap tickets (4 for $40, half price, etc.) for the 2-3 games I plan on attending next season without having to renew my season tickets. I sit with my brother and he is not renewing either. So there is four season tickets available.

Wow, way to put your money where your mouth is. You won't completely support something you don't believe in, just half way huh? Thank God a reincarnation of Hitler doesn't wear a CU shirt.

And you are exactly the type of 'fan' Bohn and DiStephano are counting on to backup their decision to keep Hawk around. In the end you are to blame for this.

You want to be a real fan, rip up your tickets and spend the first half trying to deliver them to the leadership up there... They pull the security stuff at halftime anyway, so you can still just walk up and see the second half if you want to see what happens.

Anyone who goes to the game or gives them ANY money from here on out is just as much a part of the problem as the leadership is.

Thanks!

Thanks, once and for all, confirming that you're a complete tool. Calling out a diehard fan for actually supporting the program more than you have (by a long stretch) over the years while you bitch and moan on message boards. He is actually going to do what you want (decrease his support level) and you still rip him and actually have the gall to imply he is part of the problem. You're a real piece of work and also completely ****ing stupid.

Wow, way to put your money where your mouth is. You won't completely support something you don't believe in, just half way huh? Thank God a reincarnation of Hitler doesn't wear a CU shirt.

**** you. Seriously, **** you. I will never completely turn my back on the players. Never.

You made your point with the first couple of statements. The rest was uncalled for, come on man.

Thanks!

I've never been a Bronco fan which I'm sure will endear me to many on this board :smile2: but I do remember as a kid growing up in the fair state of Colorado that the Broncos SUCKED for many years. Yet every year they sold out game after game, season after season. By your definition these guys weren't fans. I'm sure they would disagree and so do I. There are so many things that have the Buffs where they are today to put it on any one factor is pretty narrow.

Thanks!

I don't propose to tell everyone else what they should do about the situation. Some people are actually giddy because they love Hawkins so much, others are disappointed. I was just sharing my emotions regarding the situation not trying to develop a grass roots movement. A decision regarding tickets is my own. If I choose not to buy tickets it is not to affect any change but rather just a point I have reached on my journey. I can tell you that once I don't renew season tickets it probably means that I will not be coming back regardless of any future success.

I have tickets to the game and the AD already has the money. I will be tailgating with my family and friends like I usually do on game day.

I am not into changing things at CU...not my job.

Man, there are die hard Buff fans who would love to be able to afford season tickets and some of you guys are just going to cancel. That is just craziness. I hope that when things turn around, and you guys want to get your season tickets back, you end up in the Uecker seats. :lol:

I'll say it again. If your belief is that the proper way to get rid of Coach Hawkins and get CU back to its winning ways is to further financially cripple the athletic department, youre literally ****ing stupid.

I want to wish everyone a Happy Thanksgiving!!!

I have not like decisions in the past, I did not like the coaching search for Mac's replacement, I did not like Barnett getting fired, I did not like the way that the Patton situation was handled but I have always given the AD the benefit of the doubt. That has come to an end. My doubts far outweigh and rationalization that I can come up with for retaining a bad coach.

Money talks and bull$hit walks. I hate to think it has to come to that but I don't blame you or anyone else one iota on that point. Its insanity to reward poor performance.

I'll say it again. If your belief is that the proper way to get rid of Coach Hawkins and get CU back to its winning ways is to further financially cripple the athletic department, youre literally ****ing stupid.

If you think bending over and continuing to give them money when they don't care if the product is winning , then you sir a****ing stupid.

I'll still go. I support the Colorado Buffaloes, and I don't get a say in hiring/firing. Going to have to refuse to be angry every day for at least a year.

Go Buffs.

unless Hawk wins 7 games minimum (unlikely given history and the schedule) this will be like Patton's last year. pure absurdity and set the program even further back.

I was thinking the same thing all last night as I thought about it. It's just like Patton's last year. I thought Bohn had learned from that mistake and had made the decision to cut Hawk loose and move on so as not to set the 'money making' program back years like he did with the hoops team. Unfortunately, that's not going to happen.

Winning more than 5 or 6 games next season with that schedule will be tough. I don't know how CU is going to get any quality assistant coaches to come in for basically a one year deal. So either there won't be changes or the replacement coaches won't be much better than what we have. I'm guessing recruiting class won't be in the top half of the Big 12 either. It doesn't look like much so far. This all could set the football program back years.

I am not trying to cripple them. If they don't care why should I....they still have you and all your big donor friends...so why should Bohn care if I go or not.

I am not trying to cripple them. If they don't care why should I....they still have you and all your big donor friends...so why should Bohn care if I go or not.

At the end of the day were spending a certain percentage of our dollars on entertainment. We expect something in return for it. The bar is not very high anymore and they still cant meet it. :huh: I have small children to feed and college educations to think about. I need a new car. $1000 is a lot of money to spend on bad football.

I was thinking the same thing all last night as I thought about it. It's just like Patton's last year. I thought Bohn had learned from that mistake and had made the decision to cut Hawk loose and move on so as not to set the 'money making' program back years like he did with the hoops team. Unfortunately, that's not going to happen.

Winning more than 5 or 6 games next season with that schedule will be tough. I don't know how CU is going to get any quality assistant coaches to come in for basically a one year deal. So either there won't be changes or the replacement coaches won't be much better than what we have. I'm guessing recruiting class won't be in the top half of the Big 12 either. It doesn't look like much so far. This all could set the football program back years.
Another analogy is the Clint Hurdle one. After '08, he fired most of his assistants. Look how that worked out. :huh: But, in the end, I guess it did work out pretty well. :thumbsup:

Man, there are die hard Buff fans who would love to be able to afford season tickets and some of you guys are just going to cancel. That is just craziness. I hope that when things turn around, and you guys want to get your season tickets back, you end up in the Uecker seats. :lol:

You should be happy...you got your wish. You kept saying we could not afford to fire him. Maybe you are right. I bet for ISU next year Bohn is giving the tickets away.

That is the thing that you don't understand. When people make the decision to disconnect from an organization they don't usually come back. If Bohn starts losing the core fan base, then he is stuck with the casual fan who only shows up when it suits them.

The other issue - things are not going to turn around - they told you they are not interested in winning. It is too hard so they made it unimportant.

That is the thing that you don't understand. When people make the decision to disconnect from an organization they don't usually come back. If Bohn starts losing the core fan base, then he is stuck with the casual fan who only shows up when it suits them.

Exactly!

When I was in the newspaper industry subscriptions were starting to fall slowly in the mid 90s (Now they are in free fall). When someone threatened to cancel a subscription we did everything in our power to keep them because the statistics showed that if they canceled the odds were very high that you'd never get them back.

Fortunately for CU I believe a few moves in the right direction would bring fans back if they did leave. You start winning and people start buying season tickets.

For good or Bad it is Hawk's team still. That being said I see no good going forward with him. But would love to be proven wrong. Best hope now is for some true improvements in the assistant coaches.

You should be happy...you got your wish. You kept saying we could not afford to fire him. Maybe you are right. I bet for ISU next year Bohn is giving the tickets away.

The other issue - things are not going to turn around - they told you they are not interested in winning. It is too hard so they made it unimportant.
I got my wish? Really? My wish was that they had the money to fire him and hire a guy like Brian Kelly or Gary Patterson. My wish is that we have the money to build a new field house. My wish is that we get back to being a football power. I understand your frustration. We are all frustrated. I have to hope that Hawkins turns it around and that the AD knows what they are doing. That is a hard thing to have faith in, for sure. But I believe they have reasons for making the decision they did and I hope they turn out to be prophetic. One thing I KNOW though is that for fans to stop investing in the program can do no good whatsoever.

I am not sure what I am going to do with next season. I can tell you that I am going to be in Boulder yelling my ass off for the Buffs to lay one on the Nibblets. I can worry about next season in the Spring. If anyone wants to come by Parking Lot 169 between the practice field and Boulder Creek, we will be there in a Black Suburban with about 20 of our friends starting at about 10:30. All are welcome! We will be towards the back of the lot back by the creek.

Go Buffs!

Back