What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

The all-in-one Hawkins thread

Anything new in the last 7 hours?

I am not even going to begin to wade through the current merged 51 page thread to see what I may have missed.

Re: Anything new in the last 7 hours?

I am not even going to begin to wade through the current merged 51 page thread to see what I may have missed.

ITB posted something from another board that somebody claims things may not be settled yet. Buffaholic dismisses it as more fantasy.

Aside from that, pretty much everything else is just discussion of what we already "knew" this afternoon....

Re: Can anyone give me ONE competitive, non-financial, reason to retain Hawk?

OK - there was no money there period. The "fans in the know" were the same idots who said Shanahan wanted to come here. Fantasy folks.

The number is about $6-7M when you figure everything in. The other reason is there's a small chance that Hawkins will get it straightened out in one more year. LIkely? Probably not. Impossible? No. What are the odds the next guy would get it straight? it's a crap shoot. A lot of educated, smart people who give a lot of $$$ to this program came to the same conclusion. Make some staff changes and give it one more shot. A change is going to be painful.

I'm not calling you out, but this is not a correct statement.

I am not an "AllBuffs" regular but the posters that said Shanny "would listen" (read that does not mean "wanted to come here") were not the same people that had reported inside information about Hawk getting fired.

The general press even started reporting that Hawk was done, and the general press began to infer that a buyout agreement had been worked out. Chris Fowler made a point to state several times on the air that the money was there to pay for the buyout.

Now, all that said, maybe the cost-benefit analysis did lead to the current retention of Hawk, but that doesn't refute what might have been the previous direction, and it certainly doesn't justify making lame-ass "I told you so" comments to other posters, unless you have direct information that contradicts there sources (and your thoughts are not direct information unless you are the Chancellor, or Athletic Director).

Re: Anything new in the last 7 hours?

5, 4, 3, 2, 1 ..... before this gets merged

:lol:

But at least I will have achieved my goal of looking for news without wasting the time to read the other thread.

Seriously though, I was listening to the fan on the way to DIA to pick up my sister. Their opinion was that Hawk will be retained since the announcement is being made on Thanksgiving.

My opinion is that I would love to hear that I just won a 3.5 million dollar lottery on Thanksgiving.

Feel free to merge. I'm sure what I said has been stated already.

Isn't it plausible and very possible the decision internally was made to fire Hawk. So Bohn (consultant) seeks out possible replacements. Given CU's financial constraints plus the cost of buying out Hawkins the candidate is asked the following 2 questions:

Question #1 "Would you be interested in being the Head Coach at CU"
- Yes
Question #2 "Would you be the coach for low $ amount per year"
- No. I would do it for double that, etc.

This conversation happened a couple times and Bohn realized that they were not going to find anybody to justify the $6 Million plus it was going to cost to get this thing done.
Further, the school and AD don't want to swing and miss a bunch of times in public like Michigan did a few years ago and appear like we settled for a second-rate coach.
Only difference is Michigan had the money to pay.
So they decided the most financially prudent thing to do is give Hawk another year hope for improvement.
In the public's eye, they have bought some time. Meanwhile, behind the scenes, Bohn and others are looking under every rock for money to pay a new coach what he really wanted.

Despite all the reports of retention, I still think this is a very fluid situation.

Might as well post my second letter of the day to DiStefano and Bohn. I know many of you think this is a wast of effort, but I cannot pull contributions at this point and it is the only immediate way for me to let them know how I feel. They probably do not read them, but I tell myself that they do. Go Buffs!

Chancellor DiStefano,

This is the fist time that I have written to you with regards to the football program. I am a proud 2 time graduate of this great University and love it with all of my heart. You and I spoke under the tent in Austin this year about the curretn situation with the Buffs and how the results were not acceptable. The one thing we agreed upon was that there needed to be a change in what we had been seeing on the field with the football team. As you know, the football team is the cash cow for the athletic department. I hope basketball will get into the black so we can enjoy 2 revenue generating sports like many universities, but right now that just is not the case. Without the revenue football delivers to the athletic department, CU is a D2 school. We already compete in the minimum number of sports to be a D1 schools so any attrition in those numbers is not possible at this point. When you combine this with how little financial support the actual University provides to the Athletic department, especially when compared to other big time Universities, football becomes even more important. It is now at serious risk.
With all of this said, there just is not enough progress with the football team to entrust it to Coach Hawkins for another year. After 4 years we are taking steps backwards on the field with excuses about youth, the mess he was left with, and the tough environment at CU. Is the program's image better? Yes. Hawk has done a wonderful job in this area. It is too bad that you do not win conference and national championships on image alone. CU would be on top of that ranking. Are we young? Not any younger than many of the teams that are beating CU now. Teams with young players and 1st year coaches. Their programs are clean. Their progarms are young. They have academic requirements to gain entrance. They do not undersign every single class and end up with 70-75 scholarship athletes playing football.

It is possible to be clean, have second tier facilities, have academic expectations and win. It is happening all over the country. Look at Cincy, Stanford, Northwestern. First year coaches are having a feast with Dan and he is being outcoached every week. First year coaches at Iowa State and Toledo. Second year coaches as well such as Fairchild at CSU. The body of work put together by Coach Hawk is just not up to the standard for CU.

I have held my tickets and donated $3-5K to the University every year for more than 20 years. I know that is not the biggest number you all deal with from a doner stand point, but there are a lot more of people like me that give what they can rather than drop the big donations on CU. There are many of us that will not be coming back if a change is not made. I will stop donating and coming up from Highlands Ranch next year if Hawk comes back. I want to see a committment to the program and winning. That means a new coach. Bottom line. He has had enough time to prove that he is not the correct person for this job. I will be happy to increase my donations to the CU and have over time and will continue to do so if a change is made. If not, I am going to take a break until you, Mr, Bohn and Coach Hawkins are replaced.

Go Buffs!

just a note to Buffalo Brad: Cincinnati is not a school better than Colorado or one that values academics over athletics. when Bob Huggins was at Cincy, it's alleged he never graduated one player.

just a note to Buffalo Brad: Cincinnati is not a school better than Colorado or one that values academics over athletics. when Bob Huggins was at Cincy, it's alleged he never graduated one player.

To add to that, the academics at CU are nowhere near Stanford or Northwestern. All three are poor examples.

To add to that, the academics at CU are nowhere near Stanford or Northwestern. All three are poor examples.

How much better is Northwestern's Aerospace Engineering Department? Do they have one? CU can compete even though national perception is those other schools are better in academics. It may be true, but there isn't as much difference as you think.

How much better is Northwestern's Aerospace Engineering Department? Do they have one? CU can compete even though national perception is those other schools are better in academics. It may be true, but there isn't as much difference as you think.

Uhh. How many of our football players are in the Aerospace Engineering Department?

National perception is that CU is a more of a party school than a cradle of great minds.

Ok, from what I can tell, Hack and Boner have their meeting around noon and we should have an announcement sometime shortly after that. I would imagine sooner rather than later since I am sure they want out of the office asap to go home and eat some bird. I just hope Bohner ends up eating dead Hawk for dinner instead of turkey. If not, we'll all be eating crow! Ha!

Re: At this hour

What these fools do not realize is that the alums of the late 80s and early 90s are entering their 40s or approaching their 50s which are the prime earning years for most Americans. Those same alums attended CU during the zenith of CU Football and are connected to the University by that. They will not look kindly on this CF with their check books. :dbt:

**** you.

It isn't just the buy-out funds that make if difficult to replace Dan Hawkins at this point (if that's being considered at all), it's that he's got things going well, and the losses can't be pinned on him alone.

If those injuries to key players had not happened, at least 4 of those losses would likely have been wins.

And that's just the injuries. Written back in early August, this article is one of the best I've seen regarding Colorado's 2008 season and what Hawkins has been dealing with coming into the 2009 season...............

http://www.cubuffs.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=600&ATCLID=204769919

It isn't just the buy-out funds that make if difficult to replace Dan Hawkins at this point (if that's being considered at all), it's that he's got things going well, and the losses can't be pinned on him alone.

If those injuries to key players had not happened, at least 4 of those losses would likely have been wins.

And that's just the injuries. Written back in early August, this article is one of the best I've seen regarding Colorado's 2008 season and what Hawkins has been dealing with coming into the 2009 season...............

http://www.cubuffs.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=600&ATCLID=204769919

Injuries are part of the game. Yes we had more than our share last year but wasn't that supposed to benefit us this year with more players with game experience. Didn't see that happen.

I see our offensive coordinator leaving for Portland State to be there head coach. Another 0-line coach (what this will be #5 in six years). If Riddle leaves it's only because Bohn has stipulated this to Hawk, no way Dan lets him go on his own.

So lets see. A possible new o-coordinator, new o-line coach, Ambrose coaching wideouts, new special teams coach, new d-coordinator (possibility) new d-line coach (possibility). Ya, I see a smooth transition for next year. What is happening up in Boulder is a trainwreck.

Four years is plenty of time to show some progress.

If it's about money then Hawk needs to go. A winni g coach can pay for himself 10x easily.

And how can we attract quality assistant coaches to join the program? No coach worth their salt would join a sinking ship coach in Boulder on a 1 year deal at best.

We're F*CKED. Thanks DiStefano and Benson.

And how can we attract quality assistant coaches to join the program? No coach worth their salt would join a sinking ship coach in Boulder on a 1 year deal at best.

Let's say we start 0-2 next year. How in the hell are we going to recruit. We will have a lame duck coach at that point.

Very disappointed right now.

unless Hawk wins 7 games minimum (unlikely given history and the schedule) this will be like Patton's last year. pure absurdity and set the program even further back.

i can get taking a gamble on a guy vs. a buyout....who knows, maybe it will happen. but, really, what are the odds we aren't firing this guy in a year? 1:5?

at this point, i guess the AD has blackmailed the fan into either quitting altogether or lining up to pull for the guy no one believes in.

sweet.

Wow. Been on the road for the last two days, ecstatic to be back in Colorado and wake up to find this out. What a bummer. Oh well, still driving up tomorrow to enjoy the family tailgate and let the twins see Ralphie then cheer the kids (notice I said "kids") on to victory over the ****ers. Suck of it is though, I'm sure the boys first experience in Folsom will have them surrounded by red.

Dark days lie ahead for the CU football, dark days indeed.

Anyone curious about why this big rush to make an announcement today?

What if they announce Hawkins is coming back and then we get absolutely annihilated on national TV tomorrow..... definitely a good possibility of happening.....now imagine the uproar and stink this would leave on every fan & donor's mouth going into the offseason

If this scenario plays out, I don't know how DiStefano or Bohn could sleep at night

Anyone curious about why this big rush to make an announcement today?

Plausible explanation: They decided they did not want it to appear that their decision was based on the outcome of a single game.

So they announce today.

Unless the announcement is "we are going to announce Hawkins' fate next week" which is just as likely as a definite announcement, the way things are going around here.

I bet there are some HS coaches that would take it.

Back