What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

The all-in-one Hawkins thread

Re: FootballCoachScoop.com: Announcement is coming on Talkins being fired/buyout.

I truly believe the money was there and Bohn wanted to fire Talkins.. He was overruled by the idot Distefano..

Based on the timing of things and what I've read, I think you are right. If that's the case, it should be WWIII between Bohn & Distef.

Re: FootballCoachScoop.com: Announcement is coming on Talkins being fired/buyout.

Based on the timing of things and what I've read, I think you are right. If that's the case, it should be WWIII between Bohn & Distef.

Its a joke.. Hard to even care anymore..

:lol:

So is this supposed to be after the news "broke" this afternoon???

A guy can get whiplash trying to follow that site... :rofl2:

Yeah, it's listed after the one more year breaking news bit.

Read rumor, insert Our Sources Confirm, and print-that's all they do.

My question is how many wins does he need next year to get another year? And what happens then? He enters the last year of his contract and do we give him another extension? Man I am depressed right now.

Last edited:
My question is how many wins does he need next year to get another year? And what happens then? He enters the last year of his contract and do we give him another extension? Man I am depressed right now.

At the very least, JuiceBox has mastered the Lame Duck situation.

He wins 6 games its an automatic extension and raise because little old CU is so poor and can't compete with the big boys..

Talkins is the best we can do..

Well that's according to Douchstefano.

Hawkins will be retained

As posted on Rivals.

by Adam Munsterteiger

Dan Hawkins would not comment on Wednesday night when asked if he will be back to lead the Buffaloes' football program in 2010. "We are excited about playing Nebraska," he said, dodging the question during on his weekly call-in show on 850 KOA. But BuffStampede.com has learned from multiple sources that Hawkins will be retained as Colorado's head coach for 2010...

Last edited:
Re: To all the sunshine pumpers, if he is retained as it looks like

How does this help anything in the long run? I can understand you taking a break (which we'll get anyway with no bowl game) but why withhold all of your support? Tantrum throwing only makes people look like a dumbass, IMO. Be pissed. Relax this off season. Get over it. Wear black and gold next year. Pretty simple!

The psychology of the thing is very simple. It's becoming painfully obvious that the FB program is viewed as nothing more than a maintenance-free revenue stream. They believe they can count on a certain amount of revenue without having to reinvest in facilities or retain a coaching staff that can perform at a certain level. The only way to convince them otherwise is to shut the headgate.

DiStefano just shouted out a mighty '**** YOU' to anyone who cares about the football program. Rewarding bad behavior only begets more of the same.

I thought they were supposed to wait till after the season to review his job. My money says that they are making the announcement tomorrow because they know there is no defensible way to keep him if they lose on Friday. They can just shrug their shoulders and say "we already said he will be back." The backlash if they lose to the fuskers is gonna be epic.

Re: Hawkins will be retained

onion_imagearticle2505.article_0.jpg

Part of me wishes that Bohn would come out and say that Hawkins will not be back in 2010. If it's DiStefano, Benson or the Regents, make the politicians come out of hiding and overrule him publicly.

Re: Alfred Williams was right! Fire Bohn too!

He went after him last week. I hope the pressure keeps building.

Clearly you're not keeping up, ****stain. Please read the massive thread on this topic.

Looking forward to the comedy of bull**** on Friday after we get curbstomped by Nebraska. It will be, at the very least, good for a laugh.

It is painfully obvious that no one involved in this process on any level gives a **** about winning. I don't even think the players necessarily care.

Can anyone give me ONE competitive, non-financial, reason to retain Hawk?

Seriously.

This just reeks of a junior varsity athletic department. We are now, officially, the Vanderbilt of the Big 12. We have replaced Baylor and Iowa State as the laughingstock. We are the 3rd best program in the state.

F*CK.

I need another drink.

Re: Can anyone give me ONE competitive, non-financial, reason to retain Hawk?

Here are a few reasons.

#1 - it will cost CU approximately $3 million to fire Dan Hawkins.

#2 - it will cost CU approximately $500k to pay off the remainder of the assistant coaches' salaries (they are on year to year contracts, running from July-June) [Combined pay for all of CU's assistant coaches is approximately $1.1 million]

#3 - it will cost CU AT LEAST the same salary to hire a NEW head coach (approximately $1.2 mil a year) even if we hire a coordinator or someone just dying to move up the ranks. I would venture a guess that even Bienemy or Embree would demand a payday close to $1mil. [For reference, Venables makes $400k at OU as defensive coordinator]

#4 - There is going to necessarily be some overlap with new assistant coaches coming on and being paid at the same time as the outgoing assistant coaches. Figure the same amount over the spring football time period, and you're looking at roughly another $500k for the new coach's assistant coaches.

Add those all up - you've got over $5 million in immediate expenses if CU was to fire Dan Hawkins.

OK-- so those are all financial reasons. I think those are all the University has at this point.

According to fans in the know, the $$$ was there (Pissbomber and AZ). So F*CK financial limitations.

I've been a CU fan for many, many, many years, have given my $$$ to the university and the football program, and am being ****ted on with this decision.

Isn't it time we officially announce that we can't compete in the Big 12 anymore? Would the MWC take us? The WAC? Those conferences are where we now belong with Tweedle Dumbf*cks DiStefano and Benson running the show.

I can't believe this, but we are now on par with the MWC/WAC schools.

I understand the big money that was needed to ditch him now and start over. HOWEVER... I think keeping Hawk another year could really damage this program for the bulk of the next decade. And there's no telling how that will negatively impact the school. Likely much more than the $5 million mentioned above.

This reminds me of the Schellenberger/Blake years at OU - horrible administration and a flagging program that had no direction, buzz or identity. Hopefully we pull out of it one day like they did.

Maybe It's Not Over Just Yet .........

I doubt it but one can hope that the past 7-8 hours of irate e-mails & phone calls from donors and fans could make a difference. Got to think Bohn is going to get an earful once he's off the plane.

A poster named 'Ab Irato' who has connections to the AD has posted some potential hope in the last 45 min. Take it for what it's worth.

he/she posted this ......

I don't think it is 100% over

No details, just not a done deal as of yet.

Posted on 11/25 9:59 PM | IP: Logged

followed by this ....

Re: I don't think it is 100% overjavascript:window.location.href=('compose.asp?sid=894&fid=422&style=2&rid=135714659&tid=135713277'); I and many others have had phone calls with AD staffers tonight. Bohn is aware of what is going on and will have to have at least one last "cattle call" to sure up support for his conclusion. It is not over. Bohn could very easily say, "I am here to announce that no decision will be made until Saturday or Sunday."

On the other hand, if he doesnt get his way...he will be neutered and have to leave. Say what you want about him, he is a great salesman and has raised tons for CU. Far more then Tharp could have ever raised.

Posted on 11/25 10:28 PM | IP: Logged

Re: Maybe It's Not Over Just Yet .........

The only thing 100% is that EVERYTHING 'Ab Irato' has posted on Rivals in the last 3 weeks as fact was in fact contrived fantasy.I watched it and read it and wondered, hmmm, where is this "factual information" coming from that is 180 degrees out of phase with what I'm hearing... Time to clean up this site and get some seperation from NetBuffs folks.

Re: Maybe It's Not Over Just Yet .........

The only thing 100% is that EVERYTHING 'Ab Irato' has posted on Rivals in the last 3 weeks as fact was in fact contrived fantasy.I watched it and read it and wondered, hmmm, where is this "factual information" coming from that is 180 degrees out of phase with what I'm hearing... Time to clean up this site and get some seperation from NetBuffs folks.

hope you aren't calling me "Netbuffs folks" cause if so you can ...

According to fans in the know, the $$$ was there (Pissbomber and AZ). So F*CK financial limitations.

I've been a CU fan for many, many, many years, have given my $$$ to the university and the football program, and am being ****ted on with this decision.

Isn't it time we officially announce that we can't compete in the Big 12 anymore? Would the MWC take us? The WAC? Those conferences are where we now belong with Tweedle Dumbf*cks DiStefano and Benson running the show.

I can't believe this, but we are now on par with the MWC/WAC schools.

OK - there was no money there period. The "fans in the know" were the same idots who said Shanahan wanted to come here. Fantasy folks.

The number is about $6-7M when you figure everything in. The other reason is there's a small chance that Hawkins will get it straightened out in one more year. LIkely? Probably not. Impossible? No. What are the odds the next guy would get it straight? it's a crap shoot. A lot of educated, smart people who give a lot of $$$ to this program came to the same conclusion. Make some staff changes and give it one more shot. A change is going to be painful.

OK - there was no money there period. The "fans in the know" were the same idots who said Shanahan wanted to come here. Fantasy folks.

I think you've made your point by now. The "insiders" don't know ****, but you've got the "real" info.

Still unclear? The reason we should believe you know any more than the people you've spent the day mocking.... :huh:

I understand the big money that was needed to ditch him now and start over. HOWEVER... I think keeping Hawk another year could really damage this program for the bulk of the next decade. And there's no telling how that will negatively impact the school. Likely much more than the $5 million mentioned above.

This reminds me of the Schellenberger/Blake years at OU - horrible administration and a flagging program that had no direction, buzz or identity. Hopefully we pull out of it one day like they did.

efficient administration has never been a CU quality. they get fat off of inflated out-of-state tuition and have a fleet of sub-admins who all drive the latest Saab or Landrover (while faculty salaries are lower than peer institutions with a higher cost of living in Boulder County)...but when tough times come like after 9/11 or the latest banking crisis and the out-of-state tuition from the wealthy Chicago suburbs, California, and New England kids.....starts to dry up....the inefficiency of the total structure becomes evident.

my dad, CU law grad, maintains up and down the real problem is that the AD was too busy being fatcats during the Mac years of national success to actually "grow" the AD to the proper size and scope fitting the kind of national program they could have had. that they had ski school minds with a fluky payday, instead of a bigtime sports plan. Tharp was a continuation of that logic. martini lunches at Dolan's instead of working to make the total program. despite "Vision 2010", the AD had no vision. they were looking to maintain themselves as the reason for any success.

Last edited:
Back