What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

TN VOLS fans coming to UCLA/Colorado game

You must be unathletic, because you like golf.

Sounds like you haven't watched golf the past decade. Outside of John Daly, golfers are fit these days.

I have played in charity events with some of the best athletes on the planet - defensive backs in the NFL. For as athletic and coordinated as they are, they couldn't hit a golf ball to save their life. So the athletic argument has no bearing on whether you are good or bad at golf.

Sounds like you haven't watched golf the past decade. Outside of John Daly, golfers are fit these days.

I have played in charity events with some of the best athletes on the planet - defensive backs in the NFL. For as athletic and coordinated as they are, they couldn't hit a golf ball to save their life. So the athletic argument has no bearing on whether you are good or bad at golf.
I think your last sentence is the point that many are making.

HA - fair; it was unfair of me to bring those other discussion points up. #3 is definitely correct, although I've given it more than just one try. I suck at tennis, but I respect the hell out of the sport. I've hated golf a long time. I've tried it and have learned to hate it more for a multitude of reasons, and the arguments I presented are definitely ones made by my counterparts on the other side of the argument. So yes, they were not yours or someone specifically on this board, but in some form or fashion, have been made to me. I fully get that I'm in the minority on this, but it's not my fault that apparently @Darth Snow and I are right and the rest of you, as well as 90% of my friends, all are wrong.

Tennis is like watching The View - back and forth, back and forth, back and forth and a bunch of grunting.

Golf is a game of skill. It is not an athletic sport.

It is much like darts, target shooting, fly fishing, etc.

Have to respect the skill of the top players, it does take talent and a lot of hard work to be elite. It is also though something that can be done (not as well) by my dentist and my banker. Certainly not an athletic sport if they can do it.

It's great though that a group of friends can go out and share a round. If people want to watch there is plenty on TV.

I just don't want to listen to stupid idiots talking about their golf game during a baseball game, football game, or anything else like people should care how they scored and where they played. Nobody other than them cares.

They have to talk about something when watching baseball. If they aren't talking golf, they are watching a car alarm go off in the parking lot, or some sorority girls checking their phone. No one is actually watching baseball, they have to fill it with other items until the Spelling Bee is ready to be shown on ESPN.

I'm happy if folks like golf. That's a choice, and I support choice.

I dislike it because I find golf courses ugly and a waste of resources. They are anti-nature and I enjoy nature. If I lived in a flyover state, I could get into it, maybe. However, with the Rocky Mountain playground in my backyard, I'll be on my mountain bike, skis, or drifting a fly down a backcountry stream. But I guess if your life sucks, golf makes sense (no judgment).

I think we can all agree, though, that weanie sports like golf and soccer can **** up pretty much any thread.

Hey Vol, get your plaid knicker-wearing ass in the politics thread. Darth wants to go all satyr to goat on you.

Oh, also, what section did you end up on?

Golf Courses can be beautiful! That is one of the reasons I enjoy spending 4 hours on one playing.

I don't have tickets yet, but you'll be able to find me. I'll be the one wearing ORANGE! GO VOLS.

Tennis is like watching The View - back and forth, back and forth, back and forth and a bunch of grunting.
giphy.gif

Golf Courses can be beautiful! That is one of the reasons I enjoy spending 4 hours on one playing.

I don't have tickets yet, but you'll be able to find me. I'll be the one wearing ORANGE! GO VOLS.
Outside of Bandon, I'm curious which ones. Some are in beautiful settings, like Torrey Pines, but I don't find the courses particularly attractive--though I'm not really a sucker for manicured lawns.

Weirdly, that will be the first game I'll miss in years. I have work travel (with a Vols fan who insists on wearing orange everyday--she played tennis at Tennessee). I'm thinking about quitting my job.

1.:
1478052917327.jpg

2.: Mildly pudgy doesn't mean "fit".

Not water polo. Edit: Or regular polo.
Polo isn't a sport. Polo is golf on horseback. Without the holes. It's a great concept, but it's not a sport. As far as water polo is concerned, I hesitate to even mention it, because it's extremely cruel to the horses. - RIP George

You s
Fair points.

Though if you're trying to have a real discussion I'm not sure how barking "You hypocrite!" Helps the dialogue.

1. I would love to see more designated skin/ski terrain that eliminates impact to the terrain. Vail has done a 180 in its impact, and I think all resorts could do better.

2. Golf courses are generally blights that consume disproportionate water, and distribute considerable broadleaf killers and other pesticides into our watersheds. I agree that on the surface they are more attractive than Broomfield, and I'd invite you to stretch your imagination to other possibilities.

3. If I really loved golf, I'd probably go full hypocrite and ignore these things. I played for a few years because it was expected, I wasn't great, and thought it was really boring.

Golf continues to destroy this thread and I am fully complicit.
You sound like a gun bunny.

Kind of fun to play if your skill level is really even with whomever you're playing against. That's its biggest problem, though, and why I think it has declined. It's hard to find a partner that doesn't end up with total domination and no one getting a workout. Raquetball was a little better for that (easy to get a sweat going in that box even if the person you're playing is a lot better or worse).

Back