What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

USC ALMOST A Game Thread - Covid Cancelled

If CSU is cancelled that is great news in my opinion for CU. I expect the Pac to approve OOC games (although they could prove me wrong). CSU gives CU an opponent who:
  • AD's have a relationship to work out the details
  • Would love to add a CU game
  • Can wait until late in the week to make any official decision in case a Pac opponent comes up because of the distance
Essentially you can tell CSU you want to play but have to get approval of Pac, gives you a couple days to negotiate a deal and get Pac approval. If a Pac 12 game (like Utah USC), CU plays the PAC team if possible.
How would the money work? Let's assume it is a home game for CU. Normally the home team makes money by selling tickets, concessions, etc. They then pay the opponent. Here there is zero gate. Zero concessions. The only money to be made would be the TV money that the Pac-12 earns on the TV rights. As I understand it, CU gets a 1/12 share of that. What that is, I don't know, but I doubt it would be enough to make it financially worthwhile for CU to pay CSU anything like a standard fee. And CSU would be in an even worse position for a CSU home game financially. I suppose they could do a deal with future games in future years, but I don't see that happening in the time available, and even that would depend on CSU having a COVID testing protocol that the Pac-12 would accept. I just don't see that happening. I hope I am wrong. But I doubt that I am.

Jack Nicholson Reaction GIF

Jon Wilner's article specifically highlights this quote “That is definitely on the table,” a source said, “especially where it geographically or historically makes sense.” which makes me think that a CSU game is one that they are considering to allow.

I'm sure these talks have been taking place between CU and CSU once CU's game with ASU was cancelled

BYU's schedule is garbage. They would be smart to ditch one of their remaining G5 opponents to add a P5. They aren't going to be seriously considered for the CFP by going undefeated with their current schedule.
Beating CU wouldn't be the magical formula for entrance into the CFP.

Back