What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

We now take you to College Park, Maryland... Durkin FIRED

sat on this for a long time - several years ago a CU running back got arrested for DUI in Weld. Never made the news or was mentioned on any sites. those of us who knew were Buff fans and stayed quiet
DUI vs a player death?

Do you have any concept of reality? Yes people made the fan base comments, but really if you want to go full hero on us make a new thread, dust off your soapbox and tell us how bad we are. How many people will really care about am un-reported DUI (not condoning it) or as many would call a typically college student Saturday night.

If everything we've read is true, nothing short of prison time is what these coaches deserve.
Hear ya but I have my doubts that's how it'll come to pass. I do think his coaching days are probably over. I just don't see how you can continue on with him or his staff honestly.

Found a good synopsis of the Maryland situation for anyone like me who hadn't followed it closely (short, easy read of facts):
http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/...-umd-football-scandal-faq-20180813-story.html

Everybody they've placed on leave, the AD, and the president need to go. There's no ****ing way they didn't know that this stuff was going on. A kid died as a result of this-the strength coach, trainer, and possibly Durkin himself need to be brought up on manslaughter charges. This is so much worse than any instance of player abuse I think we've seen, and that entire coaching staff is now tainted If I'm the Maryland board, I appoint an interim president and AD, and get a caretaker to come in and get them through this year.

Last edited:
Respect for Maryland's president so far. Actually apologized and owned it. Very rare to see that these days.

I'll root for Maryland, I think. President Loh is restoring my faith in powerful people and institutions a bit today.

Usually, that kind of response from the higher ups means some serious repercussions on the program... Will they drop the hammer and fire Durkin?

I'll root for Maryland, I think. President Loh is restoring my faith in powerful people and institutions a bit today.

I hope you mean, "I'll root for Maryland, if action is taken and Durkin and his training staff are fired, I think". What good is it for the President to admit there was definitive wrong doing by the coaches and training staff that directly resulted in a kid's death, if no serious action is taken and those people aren't held accountable?

Loh seems particularly pissed that there was an attempt to sweep this under the rug and keep it from his attention.

I hope you mean, "I'll root for Maryland, if action is taken and Durkin and his training staff are fired, I think". What good is it for the President to admit there was definitive wrong doing by the coaches and training staff that directly resulted in a kid's death, if no serious action is taken and those people aren't held accountable?
For sure.

The S&C coach has been fired. Durkin will get due process before retaining his job or getting fired.

After reading this thread, I don't think Durkin survives.
I agree, I don't see any other move by the President. After taking full "moral and legal responsibility", how can the University justify retaining the Head Coach of a program that allowed a player to die on his watch?

obviously, its a tragic event whenever someone dies before their time.

Maybe I missed something, but this sounds just like the Vikings player who died in training camp in 2001. I don't recall calls for coaching resignation, much less criminal prosecution. I'm reading stories of verbal taunting and belittling at Maryland, but that sounds like what I read about lots of big time football programs.

What's different here that there is so much outrage? is this simply a matter of time passing and perspectives on what's OK evolving, or was there something seriously more sinister taking place that isn't getting reported in sources that I'm reading? Was the misdiagnosis of heat stroke considered an egregious oversight vs understandable human error?

obviously, its a tragic event whenever someone dies before their time.

Maybe I missed something, but this sounds just like the Vikings player who died in training camp in 2001. I don't recall calls for coaching resignation, much less criminal prosecution. I'm reading stories of verbal taunting and belittling at Maryland, but that sounds like what I read about lots of big time football programs.

What's different here that there is so much outrage? is this simply a matter of time passing and perspectives on what's OK evolving, or was there something seriously more sinister taking place that isn't getting reported in sources that I'm reading? Was the misdiagnosis of heat stroke considered an egregious oversight vs understandable human error?

Did you read the initial article. It seems pretty obvious. The coaching staff was pushing them past the point of failure.

Back