What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

We now take you to College Park, Maryland... Durkin FIRED

115 college football programs at 100 players per team means 95 times as many players as the NFL with 60 players per 32 teams.

Still, that’s 27 too many deaths for something preventable in most situations with the right precautions.
...?
115*100 = 11,500

60*32 = 1,920
1,920 * 95 = 182,400

182,400 != 11,500

11,500/1,920 = 5.99 or ~6

Plus:
  • Not sure where the 115 number comes from: there are 129 FBS programs and 125 FCS programs, plus ~400 collegiate programs across lower divisions
  • Regardless, the NCAA estimates that there are roughly 73K participants in collegiate football in a given year. We don't know from the article if the 27 deaths are from all levels of collegiate competition in the US.
  • If you're going to count non-scholly athletes for NCAA, you should also probably count the guys who go through the summer/fall camps in the NFL that don't make a roster or PS. The preseason rosters are (IIRC) 90 guys, so that's 2,880.
  • The 73K/2,880 gives about 25:1 ratio of athletes, so we would have "expected" about one death if the rates were the same.
Nitpicking aside, I agree- 27 deaths for something easily preventable is 27 too many.

You can look at all the numbers you want to but the only one that matters is that 27.

The NFL is a multi-billion dollar business, the competition is intense, teams will do crazy things to try to get an advantage.

Individual players have potentially millions of dollars on the line based on their performance.

If there were any advantage to driving the body to the point of death, doing these ridiculous drills in the heat of summer don't you think that NFL teams or individual players would be doing it?

Fact is that there is no legitimate reason for it to happen. Coaches who do it are on some kind of power complex to prove exactly how much they have power over individual players.

The coaches and staff involved should not only never be allowed to work with players again, they should be prosecuted for negligence.

Re youth football - I agree with everyone and that is what I’m dealing with; out of shape, lazy, don’t know what real stress is. Brutal.

...?
115*100 = 11,500

60*32 = 1,920
1,920 * 95 = 182,400

182,400 != 11,500

11,500/1,920 = 5.99 or ~6

Plus:
  • Not sure where the 115 number comes from: there are 129 FBS programs and 125 FCS programs, plus ~400 collegiate programs across lower divisions
  • Regardless, the NCAA estimates that there are roughly 73K participants in collegiate football in a given year. We don't know from the article if the 27 deaths are from all levels of collegiate competition in the US.
  • If you're going to count non-scholly athletes for NCAA, you should also probably count the guys who go through the summer/fall camps in the NFL that don't make a roster or PS. The preseason rosters are (IIRC) 90 guys, so that's 2,880.
  • The 73K/2,880 gives about 25:1 ratio of athletes, so we would have "expected" about one death if the rates were the same.
Nitpicking aside, I agree- 27 deaths for something easily preventable is 27 too many.
I blame my math problems on doing this at 3:30 in the morning when I couldn't sleep!

Re youth football - I agree with everyone and that is what I’m dealing with; out of shape, lazy, don’t know what real stress is. Brutal.
I hear what you are saying. In my time, they knew they could push us. Hell, we'd been playing since we were 6, actually, before that at home. We got used to it because there were zero surprises in there, we knew what it was gonna be like. I'm not saying kids are soft these days, at all, wanna make that clear. The world is quite different than it was then. I think the precautions are a good thing at the same time.

I hear what you are saying. In my time, they knew they could push us. Hell, we'd been playing since we were 6, actually, before that at home. We got used to it because there were zero surprises in there, we knew what it was gonna be like. I'm not saying kids are soft these days, at all, wanna make that clear. The world is quite different than it was then. I think the precautions are a good thing at the same time.

When we were kids (hate sounding like the old man yelling at clouds) we had a neighborhood full of kids. We normally played 2-3 hours per night with lots of running and exercise. As I got older we ended up playing hours of street football, kickball, basketball, and a lot of games that our parents may not have approved of. We rode our bikes for miles and spent a lot of time swimming. When it came time for organized sports we were already conditioned.

There are kids today who are very active and in very good shape. In some ways they are probably healthier because those kids tend to come out of active households with parents who have them eat much healthier than any of us ever did. The balance to that is the kids who live on fast food and think walking to the car is an effort. When they show up for organized sports they think breathing heavy means they have done a days work.

When we were kids (hate sounding like the old man yelling at clouds) we had a neighborhood full of kids. We normally played 2-3 hours per night with lots of running and exercise. As I got older we ended up playing hours of street football, kickball, basketball, and a lot of games that our parents may not have approved of. We rode our bikes for miles and spent a lot of time swimming. When it came time for organized sports we were already conditioned.

There are kids today who are very active and in very good shape. In some ways they are probably healthier because those kids tend to come out of active households with parents who have them eat much healthier than any of us ever did. The balance to that is the kids who live on fast food and think walking to the car is an effort. When they show up for organized sports they think breathing heavy means they have done a days work.
Yep, sounds familiar.

The headline activity is strange, but it buries the lead. Some bad stuff in there.

If this would actually help people be aggressive with a killing mentality, you’d think they’d do it in the military. They don’t.

These stories are probably just great for Terps' recruiting. Why don't they just finally cut ties with Dickwad Durkin and move forward?

I'd not be surprised if that booster came from the Cumberland area of that state. Racists and the KKK are from there when it comes to Maryland.

I don't understand how Durkin is still employed. How can you convince any parent let this guy be responsible for your kid for 4 years.
He won that Texas game to take the heat off. 4-2 with Rutgers this week. Who cares about the occasional player death if boosters are happy?

Didn't realise DJ Durkin was Nick Saban 2.0 as that's about the only explanation you can possibly have for Maryland acting like they are.

You get the feeling these guys don’t know what they’re doing.

Maryland is in a bad place. I am sure the player's family is gearing up to sue, firing DJ might look like the University admitted he did something wrong, leading to the conclusion the University knew or should have known. They may be sinking or swimming together.

Which is strange because supposedly a ton of players texted him when he was placed on leave, all showing support for him.
This is his 3rd year. Could easily be a divided locker room with the younger guys he recruited loving his style and the older guys not so much.

Back