What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

We Now Take You To Tallahassee, Florida

Not here to condone hitting women, but Women should not throw a punch at a man thinking "he won't punch me".

Not here to condone hitting women, but Women should not throw a punch at a man thinking "he won't punch me".

I have the same thought, generally. To say that men don't have a right to defend themselves when punched is sexist. However, after watching the video only once, I'm left wondering if she was trying to protect herself from his aggression when she swung. Did he seem to be choking her?

I have the same thought, generally. To say that men don't have a right to defend themselves when punched is sexist. However, after watching the video only once, I'm left wondering if she was trying to protect herself from his aggression when she swung. Did he seem to be choking her?

I watched it a couple times. When he tries to push up to the bar she starts yelling at him and holds her right hand up in a fist. He grabs that hand and restrains her, so she hits him with her left. No choking. He hits back.

I'm mostly surprised by how non-chalant the rest of the people at the bar and the bar tenders are. This sort of thing must happen regularly or it was too loud for anyone to notice what was going on. And, that tender in the overalls can't be hygienic.

It's just dumb, walk away, smartest thing to do. It's not about it being fair, you know what will happen if you do it.

What's the drinking age in Florida? This guy isn't 21, is he? At any rate, I'm sure his attorney will use the "self defense" argument and, you know what, I bet he gets exonerated. Still doesn't make what he did right. An elite athlete should be able to handle that situation without hitting back.

I get it if she has a weapon or he's flat being attacked. That's not what I saw on the vid. Hope it was worth it for him, stupid stupid.

It may be sexist but it is the standard that society has gone with. I understand that a woman may take actions that are completely out of line but unless she is somehow a legitimate threat to the guys safety there is never an excuse for a guy to hit her. This legitimate threat would include things like her having a weapon or a group of women attacking a guy.

Normally a reasonably healthy guy should be able to defend himself from most women without having to resort to hitting. I have no problem with blocking blows thrown by a woman, if she is completely out of control I don't even see a problem with restraining her until somebody else can take her away.

In this case you have a guy who is a division 1 NCAA football player. If he can't deal with a single, unarmed woman without hitting her he is scum and out of control.

It may be sexist but it is the standard that society has gone with. I understand that a woman may take actions that are completely out of line but unless she is somehow a legitimate threat to the guys safety there is never an excuse for a guy to hit her. This legitimate threat would include things like her having a weapon or a group of women attacking a guy.

Normally a reasonably healthy guy should be able to defend himself from most women without having to resort to hitting. I have no problem with blocking blows thrown by a woman, if she is completely out of control I don't even see a problem with restraining her until somebody else can take her away.

In this case you have a guy who is a division 1 NCAA football player. If he can't deal with a single, unarmed woman without hitting her he is scum and out of control.

I see your point, but it is still sexist. Domestic abuse is a real very sensitive topic for me, and I will always get involved when I see it, even at personal peril. Ultimately I've got a real problem with women hitting men and hiding behind the "men shouldn't hit women" mentality. Don't hit someone if you don't expect to be hit back, is a pretty good general rule, regardless of your sex.

The above statement is unrelated to the video of the FSU player. He was already getting aggressive with the female, which creates a different dynamic. It's difficult for me to see how that one escalated, and who initiated the physical conflict.

No way that guy plays college football again, right? What program would be foolish enough to take on that baggage?

How many stars did he have coming out of HS? Only partially kidding. IMO if he was good enough to have a scholarship from FSU he'll catch on with someone, even if it's an FCS team.

I watched it a couple times. When he tries to push up to the bar she starts yelling at him and holds her right hand up in a fist. He grabs that hand and restrains her, so she hits him with her left. No choking. He hits back.

I'm mostly surprised by how non-chalant the rest of the people at the bar and the bar tenders are. This sort of thing must happen regularly or it was too loud for anyone to notice what was going on. And, that tender in the overalls can't be hygienic.
Yep

I see your point, but it is still sexist. Domestic abuse is a real very sensitive topic for me, and I will always get involved when I see it, even at personal peril. Ultimately I've got a real problem with women hitting men and hiding behind the "men shouldn't hit women" mentality. Don't hit someone if you don't expect to be hit back, is a pretty good general rule, regardless of your sex.

The above statement is unrelated to the video of the FSU player. He was already getting aggressive with the female, which creates a different dynamic. It's difficult for me to see how that one escalated, and who initiated the physical conflict.

As you said it is not related to this situation but the issue of domestic violence is one that has some serious questions around it. I will stand by my statement that a guy isn't justified in hitting a female outside of a few extreme situations.

I don't agree with the idea of hitting back but we do need to find some way of holding women responsible who think having breast gives them free reign to act out without consequences.

This leads into the issues that come with women claiming domestic abuse and automatically getting the benefit of the doubt from law enforcement regardless of the actual circumstances. There are plenty of cases when a female has initiated the conflict, advanced the conflict, the guy did not hit or otherwise try to inflict damage on her, and he still goes away in the cop car.

Beyond this is the damage done to guys by false accusations of rape or similar offenses. This can be a career and life disrupting event and the woman is rarely held accountable when it turns out to be false. These are also very damaging because they damage the credibility of reports by women who really are victims.

We do have a double standard regarding bad behavior and that isn't good for anyone.

The Florida State University official who counsels campus rape victims told lawyers suing the school that her office has handled 20 allegations of rape involving football players in the past nine years...Ashton said football players receive special treatment at the school, and that most of the 20 victims declined to press student conduct charges.

http://collegefootball.ap.org/article/fsu-official-details-favorable-treatment-players

bXXLLVT.gif

so the school paid top damn dollar for him to get a piece of ass... worth it for her and her lawyer. $

Last edited:
My ex punched me with a closed fist one time, took everything not to floor her. Tell the cops that and they said, it don't matter what she did. She had been drinking showing up with my son late. They didn't even check after I told them she'd been drinking, go figure.

My ex punched me with a closed fist one time, took everything not to floor her. Tell the cops that and they said, it don't matter what she did. She had been drinking showing up with my son late. They didn't even check after I told them she'd been drinking, go figure.
Get your sh*t together.

That's a win for FSU. Put another zero behind it and it might make a dent in the money he made for them.

This started me thinking about the argument for paying the players. If the players are paid, do lawsuits like these lose their teeth and have to directed at the player? Does it make it easier to for the university to part ways with a player or avoid responsibility? I can't think of an instance where a pro player did something and the the alleged victim successfully sued the team.

This started me thinking about the argument for paying the players. If the players are paid, do lawsuits like these lose their teeth and have to directed at the player? Does it make it easier to for the university to part ways with a player or avoid responsibility? I can't think of an instance where a pro player did something and the the alleged victim successfully sued the team.

Title ix only applies to educational institutions. I believe the woman has also sued Winston as an individual, he counter sued for defamation and that case continues.

Title ix only applies to educational institutions. I believe the woman has also sued Winston as an individual, he counter sued for defamation and that case continues.

I think you are completely correct. This particular case was about the school not providing a safe environment for the woman to attain her education.

Because of Title IX the school would have to pay all scholarship athletes, not just those in revenue producing sports, cost would be huge. It would also open them up to being sued by the players under provisions of employment law.

Back