What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

We now take you to USC, UA, Okie Lite, Auburn, Da U, KANSAS, & NC State

They'd have to go back and audit those tax returns. I think they will go back as many as 7 years but don't quote me on that. They would have to track the incoming funds and then make the players prove they declared it as income and paid taxes in it. In most cases, the NBA player would just settle and write the IRS a check.

In the case of fraud, there is no time limit ... they can go back as far as they want

Some random comments reading through this thread after work:

1. Unlikely that any school receives the "death penalty" but Louisville activity could warrant it. They were paying huge money only days after being penalized for hooker parties.

2. I often read that the NCAA turns a blind eye to much worse matters like rape and murder, and paying players isn't that big of a deal. I understand the point and I think there is a strong case to pay the players. However, the NCAA is not there to handle criminal matters. It's there to enforce rules of amateur athletics, even if it's rife with all sorts of hypocrisy. They are not criminal prosecutors.

3. Is college sports really anything more than a minor league with no rules or salary cap? What is Kentucky? Is it more than just a gym in Lexington that pays better than a gym in Boulder? I struggle being a fan. My heart loves it, but my head says I'm wrong to watch college athletics. But then I remember the many smart players I met at CU, as good as any "regular" student, and it makes me feel better. I believe in the purpose of college athletics, but question the execution.

4. If Nike gets implicated, will Phil Knight be barred from giving to Oregon athletics? I believe the NCAA can do that. Almost like slapping him with a show cause. Never going to happen, but fun to imagine.

Good post. I'd bet we see more firings outside of Rick Pitino......I don't know how Sean Miller, Andy Enfield, and Bruce Pearl survive. I'd wonder about Frank Martin and Brad Underwood. Both were at South Carolina when that Thornwell kid who was the leader of their Final Four team was recruited there, and Brad Underwood brought Lamont Evans to Oklahoma State when he got that gig. It wouldn't shock me if Evans' actions played a part in him taking the Illinois job.

The NCAA can't do anything until the feds are done. As far as the state of college athletics, I'd like to think this is a college basketball problem more than anything.....simply because of the uniqueness of that sport in particular. This will be the death of the one-and-done. The NBA will kill that rule themselves, or you'll see more kids do what Mudiay did and go play abroad.....which might almost be better for them in general.

I'm sort of leery of schools who launch internal investigations after the cat is out of the bag. Then they find themselves "guilty" and "punish" themselves so the paper tiger NCAA will leave them alone. There is something wrong about that.

I'm sort of leery of schools who launch internal investigations after the cat is out of the bag. Then they find themselves "guilty" and "punish" themselves so the paper tiger NCAA will leave them alone. There is something wrong about that.

Expect to see a bunch of schools try that here. Don't think the FBI is going to fall for it like the NCAA does.

What they may be hoping for though is to mitigate the penalties the NCAA puts down after the criminal cases are completed. Also may be trying to deflect attention away from certain administrators and onto their designated scapegoats.

I bet the FBI goal is to strike fear in the NCAA ranks and not to weed out cheating at every level. This is more like a statement and not the first wave of some overall war. So I don't expect it to go much further. They achieved their goal. I bet.

I bet the FBI goal is to strike fear in the NCAA ranks and not to weed out cheating at every level. This is more like a statement and not the first wave of some overall war. So I don't expect it to go much further. They achieved their goal. I bet.
The corruption within NCAA basketball is big enough that an Agent could make his/her career by following through. We're talking, future director kind of career....therefore I believe this will expand exponentially over time.

I suspect they will go until they have some significant scalp to hang on their wall. Rick Pitino leaps to mind.

The corruption within NCAA basketball is big enough that an Agent could make his/her career by following through. We're talking, future director kind of career....therefore I believe this will expand exponentially over time.

Uhh, no. Though Pitino ends in a vowel, this is not a mafia case. White collar cases aren’t what build an agent’s reputation. They are still all about organized crime/ terrorism.

DKw0LXfUMAA8MNb.jpg:large

I suspect they will go until they have some significant scalp to hang on their wall. Rick Pitino leaps to mind.
This goes to a key point.

The FBI loves high profile convictions. NCAA coaches and programs are guaranteed prominent headlines.

This thing won't stop until they have milked it for all they can.

They will put much more effort into this than they would into somebody stealing pensions from little old ladies simply because of the press factor.

Uhh, no. Though Pitino ends in a vowel, this is not a mafia case. White collar cases aren’t what build an agent’s reputation. They are still all about organized crime/ terrorism.
It's more likely an agent who's alma mater keeps coming out on the short end of recruiting wars!

This goes to a key point.

The FBI loves high profile convictions. NCAA coaches and programs are guaranteed prominent headlines.

This thing won't stop until they have milked it for all they can.

They will put much more effort into this than they would into somebody stealing pensions from little old ladies simply because of the press factor.

This is an odd stance. I actually think it is more important that the FBI investigate instances where our premier institutions of higher learning are engaging in,or at very least, promulgating potential money laundering, tax evasion, bribery, and racketeering as opposed to some random con artist. You know, these institutions are educating our young people, so a little moral compass might be nice.

Last edited:
This is an odd stance. I actually think it is more important that the FBI investigate instances where it's premier institutions of higher learning are engaging in,or at very least, promulgating potential money laundering, tax evasion, bribery, and racketeering as opposed to some random con artist. You know, these institutions are educating our young people, so a little moral compass might be nice.

I agree to a point. These institutions are forming the leadership of our next generations. They are also in most cases receiving millions of federal dollars in research grants, student loans and other assistance, etc.

When I referred to stealing pensions I wasn't referring to some individual con artist as much as a systematic institutional effort impacting many victims. The individual con should be more the issue for local law enforcement (with the FBI providing assistance if needed.)

How college hoops corruption became a federal investigation, and why it might get bigger

A couple of important points in that article:
1. I think we can officially add the U to the list of schools in serious trouble.
2. Pretty much everyone agrees that the point of arresting the 10 they did is to get at bigger fish.

Some lesser points:
  • They've got tape of "another apparel company" offering to pay a player more. Feel free to speculate.
  • The original FBI informant had football clients too (they played at Louisville, Georgia Tech and UNC).

How college hoops corruption became a federal investigation, and why it might get bigger

A couple of important points in that article:
1. I think we can officially add the U to the list of schools in serious trouble.
2. Pretty much everyone agrees that the point of arresting the 10 they did is to get at bigger fish.

Some lesser points:
  • They've got tape of "another apparel company" offering to pay a player more. Feel free to speculate.
  • The original FBI informant had football clients too (they played at Louisville, Georgia Tech and UNC).

If I'm following correctly, it seems like Arizona fans think this was Nike/AZ and Adidas/Miami fighting over Nassir Little to the tune of $150K.

Back