What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

We now take you to USC, UA, Okie Lite, Auburn, Da U, KANSAS, & NC State

You gotta know that bailer is going to get swept up in this. We've been saying for years that there's no way a bottom feeder like bailer goes from piss poor in pretty much every sport to national championship contender within a five year span without some serious rule bending. We all know they have no problems breaking the rules.

You gotta know that bailer is going to get swept up in this. We've been saying for years that there's no way a bottom feeder like bailer goes from piss poor in pretty much every sport to national championship contender within a five year span without some serious rule bending. We all know they have no problems breaking the rules.

Baylor is the ultimate SWC mentality school. They are attracted to cheating like flies to a fresh manure pile, they just can't resist.

Has there been any word out of Arizona...I'm having a tough time seeing how Miller is still employed by the end of the year. Also find it interesting that the AD of one of the schools caught up in this (Arizona) was recently hired Bama and they somehow have a Top 10 class this year...they're not exactly known as one of the basketball powerhouses in the SEC.

Has there been any word out of Arizona...I'm having a tough time seeing how Miller is still employed by the end of the year. Also find it interesting that the AD of one of the schools caught up in this (Arizona) was recently hired Bama and they somehow have a Top 10 class this year...they're not exactly known as one of the basketball powerhouses in the SEC.

Hiring Avery Johnson helps

Maybe this would be better off in Barzil, but for those of you more familiar with coaching/AD webs than I- are there any ties to these programs/coaches with current CU staff?

https://sports.yahoo.com/former-aau...ketball-scandal-will-flip-feds-034806204.html

The feds again are looking for people to flip on the sport, to tell tales, to point fingers, to bring evidence. Tuesday they asked witnesses and even perpetrators to come forward and earn leniency. Seventeen years ago a Kansas City street guy and one-time drug dealer rebuffed them. What about with these guys?
“They’ll talk,” Piggie said Tuesday with a laugh. “They’ve got no balls. These are basketball coaches; they’ll do whatever to save themselves.”

Does this threaten the very existence of the NCAA? If the Feds can show that this stuff went on with the NCAA's tacit support, what happens then?

The P5 conferences take their money and form their own new club, everyone else has a bake sale and turns into CHSAA.
I think you're right. I know we all like to use the NCAA as a whipping boy, but I'm not sure I'm going to like the world of college sports without the NCAA.

I think you're right. I know we all like to use the NCAA as a whipping boy, but I'm not sure I'm going to like the world of college sports without the NCAA.

My concern coming off the Penn State situation, the Baylor situation, throw in Miami and even North Carolina. Take some junior congress member who wants to make a name him/herself and starts a congressional investigation. This person uses the huge amount of federal funds flowing to higher education as an excuse to investigate and Title IX as the hammer.

Would be very easy to see the the NCAA and all college sports suddenly accountable to an administrative oversight office in Washington. Think of someone with the Mary Keenan attitude backed by federal authority and with the ability to restrict funds from federal programs flowing into the schools. Ouch!

burn_them_all_got.gif

Even if he doesn't, this has to be extremely damaging to UA. They might be crawling out of a very sizeable hole.

On a side note, I sometimes feel a little bad for people in the public eye. Not Sean Miller - that dude is a straight up douche bag. But in general, I feel a little bad sometimes. I've reached the age where I look acceptable some days and some days, not so much. That's without making a goofy ass face with 20 cameras on me while I react to a situation in a wholly appropriate way. That would send children screaming if it were my mug.

Does this threaten the very existence of the NCAA? If the Feds can show that this stuff went on with the NCAA's tacit support, what happens then?
This thing is going to blow up beyond belief, The Presidents and Chancellors will step in and knock big time college athletics down a peg or two(or maybe a couple hundred). College football and bball are going to be radically different in a year or two.

This thing is going to blow up beyond belief, The Presidents and Chancellors will step in and knock big time college athletics down a peg or two(or maybe a couple hundred). College football and bball are going to be radically different in a year or two.

Except that in many cases the Presidents and Chancellors know that their supporters care more about winning games than any of that "academics crap."

How many of those people at SEC schools, former SWC schools (yup, looking at you Baylor,) etc. etc. know that athletics steers the ship in the public mind. Try to be the administrator who tells the Nebraska fans that they put to much emphasis on winning games and should cut back on their budgets. Hope that person already qualifies for a pension because they will be unemployed faster than they can ask what happened.

Retired IRS agent. It's been a while so I don't remember some of the complex tax law.

I do know that the FBI and IRS special agents (criminal) often work together and with other agencies. Remember it was the IRS who finally took down Al Capone.

As for tax fraud, while the IRS can go back forever in the case of fraud, it is very unusual for that to happen. They can't practically go back before the time when computers were used to store information. The general rule for fraud cases when I was there was 6 years of returns. Anybody who received money, and that includes the players and parents, will probably have an IRS audit/investigation in their future.

If you report somebody with that form and provide specific information, IRS will actually pay you. I had one case based on information in a form like that and it was excellent information for a fraud case, which we proved. I signed off on the paperwork that the informant's information was good and sent it on. Manager also signed it. Don't know time frame, but I know we recommended the informant get $. Information has to be specific, not just that so and so cheated.

Retired IRS agent. It's been a while so I don't remember some of the complex tax law.

I do know that the FBI and IRS special agents (criminal) often work together and with other agencies. Remember it was the IRS who finally took down Al Capone.

As for tax fraud, while the IRS can go back forever in the case of fraud, it is very unusual for that to happen. They can't practically go back before the time when computers were used to store information. The general rule for fraud cases when I was there was 6 years of returns. Anybody who received money, and that includes the players and parents, will probably have an IRS audit/investigation in their future.

If you report somebody with that form and provide specific information, IRS will actually pay you. I had one case based on information in a form like that and it was excellent information for a fraud case, which we proved. I signed off on the paperwork that the informant's information was good and sent it on. Manager also signed it. Don't know time frame, but I know we recommended the informant get $. Information has to be specific, not just that so and so cheated.

I know that the FBI has their own forensic accountants and commonly investigate financial crimes but this whole case is about lots of money moving around between a lot of hands where it shouldn't be. I would think this is the kind of case that the expertise of IRS investigators could be very useful. It also could definitely help having that big tax hammer hanging over the heads of some of these people to loosen up some tongues.

Literally, a solid coach whose built a really good but not elite team (Eustachy, Boyle, etc) are about 2 complete studs away from Final Four status. Literally 2 guys can make a program really good. Not so in football.

I was there for the Lute Olson Arizona Wildcat build. He didn't buy players to build that franchise. Guys like Steve Kerr were not that highly recruited. In fact his great team was led by Kerr, Kenny Lofton (who also played baseball and went on to MLB success) and Sean who was a Tucson native. I don't think he bought that team. But he may have been in later years.

Not sure a true legendary program has been built since without cheating (USC, I'm looking at you)!

Literally, a solid coach whose built a really good but not elite team (Eustachy, Boyle, etc) are about 2 complete studs away from Final Four status. Literally 2 guys can make a program really good. Not so in football.

I was there for the Lute Olson Arizona Wildcat build. He didn't buy players to build that franchise. Guys like Steve Kerr were not that highly recruited. In fact his great team was led by Kerr, Kenny Lofton (who also played baseball and went on to MLB success) and Sean who was a Tucson native. I don't think he bought that team. But he may have been in later years.

Not sure a true legendary program has been built since without cheating (USC, I'm looking at you)!

One of those questions we may never know the answer to but how many of these coaches are "forced" into cheating by their own success.

You mention a guy like Lute, and I have no evidence that he cheated at any time in his career. The question is though he builds a great team through hard work and good fortune. Things line up and he gets a Kerr, a Lofton, etc. and they exceed all expectations and have a great run.

Those guys move on but now the bar has been raised. The odds are against repeating the same success in the same manner but the coach feels the pressure to win. This temps him to stretch the rules "just a little bit." It is easier because he sees and believes others are doing the same. Once over the line it is hard to stop.

In this situation the school isn't likely to step in because the guy is popular with the fans and donors and more importantly he generates a lot of money for them, and in their minds "he isn't doing anything that everyone else isn't doing."

Back