What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

We now take you to USC, UA, Okie Lite, Auburn, Da U, KANSAS, & NC State

The point I tried to make yesterday is there's no Nike in this yet. The headlines on national news (CBS) this morning was about:

Louisville, USC, Arizona, Okie State and Adidas. No mention of Nike. We need Phil Knight's balls in a noose.
th

653639242-usc-v-providence.jpg.jpg

Looks like Nike to me.

I agree though, there's a disconnect somewhere along the line. The schools involved are Nike schools, but it's Adidas that's being investigated. Why would street agents paid by Adidas be recruiting for Nike schools? Nike is going to get caught up in this eventually, and when they do, you can bet Oregon takes a big hit.

The point I tried to make yesterday is there's no Nike in this yet. The headlines on national news (CBS) this morning was about:

Louisville, USC, Arizona, Okie State and Adidas. No mention of Nike. We need Phil Knight's balls in a noose.
I recall an old proverb: Wait long enough, and you will see you enemy's body floating down the river.

One of the Adidas reps arrested worked at Nike until 2013.

He's gonna roll, and he's going to take Nike schools down with him.

Only a matter of time really. UofA, USC, and OSU are Nike brands. Have to think that if they start poking their nose into the Pac-12, everyone is going to direct them to Nike U as well.
I think that the news originally made it sound like they had the dirt on Nike, but all official reports actually have said nothing about Nike. As Sackman states, 3 of the 4 are Nike sponsored schools. I'm having trouble with that. The only Nike reference I've seen is
Merl Code, the head of Nike’s Elite Youth Basketball League as of 2013;

I'm very disappointed that there's no Nike dirt being discussed. Nike created this problem in the first place.

At this point (Goose above) we don't even know Code was involved with bribes while at Nike. Yes we need him to sing.

I think that the news originally made it sound like they had the dirt on Nike, but all official reports actually have said nothing about Nike. As Sackman states, 3 of the 4 are Nike sponsored schools. I'm having trouble with that. The only Nike reference I've seen is

I'm very disappointed that there's no Nike dirt being discussed. Nike created this problem in the first place.

At this point (Goose above) we don't even know Code was involved with bribes while at Nike. Yes we need him to sing.

Fair that we don't know that he was involved with bribes at Nike, but the bribery isn't new so I think it's a relatively safe assumption to make.

Why do you want Nike to take a fall? If the problem is paying college athletes, Nike did not create the problem.

It is far from clear to me that Nike is bad for CU. I understand if your views are just misdirected Oregon hate. Otherwise I don't get it.

As someone said earlier in this thread, we should be very careful about getting too giddy about this- CU is a Nike school, and CU is exactly the kind of program that has name recognition without the history of success that the NCAA loves to hammer.

could it be that a) the case they have against Nike is less solid at this point and/or b) to go at a company like Nike (US HQ vs Adidas in Germany, probably lots of well positioned contacts in Govt. etc) they need an even more solid case so they are hoping for any of those arrested so far to roll over on them before making an announcement?

could it be that a) the case they have against Nike is less solid at this point and/or b) to go at a company like Nike (US HQ vs Adidas in Germany, probably lots of well positioned contacts in Govt. etc) they need an even more solid case so they are hoping for any of those arrested so far to roll over on them before making an announcement?

Adidas NA HQ is in Portland.

Why do you want Nike to take a fall? If the problem is paying college athletes, Nike did not create the problem.

It is far from clear to me that Nike is bad for CU. I understand if your views are just misdirected Oregon hate. Otherwise I don't get it.

Most believe Nike actually created this dirty shoe company involvement with recruitment. Altman is dirty, even if not involved. So I want them to go down if they are guilty.

But mostly I'm pointing out to the early posts in this thread that Nike is not named at all in these allegations. The only association (so far) is that a guy worked there four years ago, and apparently, not for very long.

To me, this is like 4 men setting up a scheme to have sex with a bunch of HS girls. How on earth could they think no one would find out? Incredible way to destroy your life
They thought no one would find out because it had been going on for decades and getting progressively more entrenched. A big and open secret that no one had incentive to snitch on. Most even had a dis-incentive: if you snitched, you killed the golden goose that was paying you while killing any future you had in the industry. And the NCAA didn't want to investigate because they know how bad it is and how deep it goes. They knew that it was a situation where they would have to either destroy an entire sport or single out a program (unfairly) and do an SMU death penalty in order to send a broader message. How does the NCAA or its member institutions benefit from that?

My first thought when this came out and I heard Auburn was implicated was "Good God, Bruce Pearl must be the most corrupt coach in the world".

I agree though, there's a disconnect somewhere along the line. The schools involved are Nike schools, but it's Adidas that's being investigated. Why would street agents paid by Adidas be recruiting for Nike schools? Nike is going to get caught up in this eventually, and when they do, you can bet Oregon takes a big hit.
Or, did Nike get the ball rolling with the FBI due to Adidas infringing on their turf? Kind of like Bama turning in Ms St for cheating.

Will this spell the end of individual school contracts with Nike, UA, and addias and the conferences take over those things? Imagine Nike with the Pac-12 for instance and the Big Ten with UnderArmour.

They thought no one would find out because it had been going on for decades and getting progressively more entrenched. A big and open secret that no one had incentive to snitch on. Most even had a dis-incentive: if you snitched, you killed the golden goose that was paying you while killing any future you had in the industry. And the NCAA didn't want to investigate because they know how bad it is and how deep it goes. They knew that it was a situation where they would have to either destroy an entire sport or single out a program (unfairly) and do an SMU death penalty in order to send a broader message. How does the NCAA or its member institutions benefit from that?

They've got the perfect target---Louisville.

Back