What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

What things can CU do to raise its football prestige?

Let's stick to college ball here shall we. I say this because they are two different types of fans. Bronco nation kind of dwarfs Buffs football I think is a fair way of looking at it.
Everytime the Buffs play someone at home and let's say a crowd of 38,000 or so shows up, what are the excuses we hear? Same thing you just said about so cal. People don't care, they are outdoors doing something or so the urban legend goes, people move to Colorado for the outdoors. That's what CU football is competeing against not the opponent of the day. How does CU get that person to come to the game verses whatever was the pull to Colorado be it hiking, photography, biking, fishing, camping, see where I'm going with this. This is how it is and always has been for the Buffs.
I'm not busting on you or anyone else about this. Other than expansion I'm liking what's being said, and wish AllBuffs had an envoy to the athletic Dept. they could use some of you on here.

You can't ignore the Bronco problem because it contributes to the issues you describe. A lot of football fans in Colorado do their "other stuff" (hiking, skiing, camping, fishing, etc.) on Saturday, so that they can tailgate and watch the Broncos on Sunday. I think people in Colorado do care about football, they just currently care about the Broncos more.

From a standpoint of impressing recruits and just overall supporting the national image of the program and the school a larger capacity would be a negative.

We look better to visiting recruits and on TV (win enough to get more national games) when our capacity is 53k and we have 48k than it would be with a capacity of 63k and a crowd of 50k.

You can hide 5k empty seats. So the top couple rows on the end are empty or you have empty seats mixed through the upper sections, nobody sees that.
Trying to hide 13k empty seats doesn't work. It looks like you couldn't get people to come.

You can't ignore the Bronco problem because it contributes to the issues you describe. A lot of football fans in Colorado do their "other stuff" (hiking, skiing, camping, fishing, etc.) on Saturday, so that they can tailgate and watch the Broncos on Sunday. I think people in Colorado do care about football, they just currently care about the Broncos more.
The same could be said for Seattle. The city is obsessed with the Seahawks, and there is a plétora of outdoor activities to do on a nice Fall day. Also, Seattle like Denver, is a city of transplants with no allegiance to the local Universities. UW still fills their stadium. I am sure it has a lot to do with the recent on the field success, but UW also has an infinitely better tailgate atmosphere due to being on the water.

The same could be said for Seattle. The city is obsessed with the Seahawks, and there is a plétora of outdoor activities to do on a nice Fall day. Also, Seattle like Denver, is a city of transplants with no allegiance to the local Universities. UW still fills their stadium. I am sure it has a lot to do with the recent on the field success, but UW also has an infinitely better tailgate atmosphere due to being on the water.
Their tailgating is pretty awesome, it definitely helps. Lots of transportation options for getting to UW too from downtown Seattle.

For those looking to Broncos fans, CU would need much better media support than it gets now. I won’t go into all of difficulties of the current situation, but growing prestige nationally requires much stronger media presence locally.

I will stop here, or I would end up writing a book about local perceptions, organizations that compete for the same time, and even support within CU.

We need to start winning big again and the opportunity to grab the state's attention will be there. I'm not sold on the Broncos continuing to win and given the coming ownership transition, I'm not sold on the Broncos continuing to win like they did under Mr. B and there is no surefire bet that John Elway will remain involved with the Broncos after his contract expires.

Time to go big or go home.

Their tailgating is pretty awesome, it definitely helps. Lots of transportation options for getting to UW too from downtown Seattle.

Two really good points. Getting to Boulder on game day from Denver kinda sucks. The tailgating atmosphere on campus is not as good as our peers.

Why isn't Farrand Field actually used by the University for tailgaiting? I feel like having all the main areas already used (Franklin/IPF, the field behind Duane, parking lots by Benson, Libby and Baker) and then actually having tailgaiting activities on Farrand would create a pretty good centralized TG area that is all essentially connected. As is, Farrand is a massive empty field with nothing going on with the exception of a few people throwing the football and what not.

Bring in a top-level head coach with a proven track record to show the people of Denver, state of Colorado and nationally that the Buffs take football seriously. Is it feasible? Probably not, but so are the majority of the answers on this discussion thus far.

You want to be considered a big boy, you had better start ponying up the $'s to coaches and assistant coaches and have plans in place when those coaches go to other programs. No more coaches with "potential!" Bring in the proven winner at a Big Boy conference like Urban or Stoops. People who have won Natty's and recruit at the highest levels. Yes, they would not like the PC police in Boulder or the Regents meddling but if we win. IF you pick the right guy, the wins and recruiting will finally pick up and the money will come, the people will come and the CU brand will be as a top institution where professors want to teach and kids want to be associates with.

That being said, I have no idea about Tucker can coach and we as fans can talk about how the culture is changing but I have been seeiing the same thing since Dan Hawkins showed up over ten years ago and nothing has changed, so why would it now? He can talk about no excuses and recruit at the highest level etc... but until I see W's, I am cautious.

Why isn't Farrand Field actually used by the University for tailgaiting? I feel like having all the main areas already used (Franklin/IPF, the field behind Duane, parking lots by Benson, Libby and Baker) and then actually having tailgaiting activities on Farrand would create a pretty good centralized TG area that is all essentially connected. As is, Farrand is a massive empty field with nothing going on with the exception of a few people throwing the football and what not.
The marching band uses it to practice prior to the games. It’s right next to the music school where they form up for the march into the stadium.

The marching band uses it to practice prior to the games. It’s right next to the music school where they form up for the march into the stadium.
Seems like something they can find a different area for, if making the game day tail gating experience better for fans is a priority

As NS said, it is the band's practice field. They are practicing right up until the time the march over, about an hour - hour and a half before kickoff.

The field they really need to open up is the business field.

As NS said, it is the band's practice field. They are practicing right up until the time the march over, about an hour - hour and a half before kickoff.

The field they really need to open up is the business field.
Maybe have them practice on the Business field and then their march over to the stadium becomes part of the tail gaiting festivities.

Bring in a top-level head coach with a proven track record to show the people of Denver, state of Colorado and nationally that the Buffs take football seriously. Is it feasible? Probably not, but so are the majority of the answers on this discussion thus far.

You want to be considered a big boy, you had better start ponying up the $'s to coaches and assistant coaches and have plans in place when those coaches go to other programs. No more coaches with "potential!" Bring in the proven winner at a Big Boy conference like Urban or Stoops. People who have won Natty's and recruit at the highest levels. Yes, they would not like the PC police in Boulder or the Regents meddling but if we win. IF you pick the right guy, the wins and recruiting will finally pick up and the money will come, the people will come and the CU brand will be as a top institution where professors want to teach and kids want to be associates with.

That being said, I have no idea about Tucker can coach and we as fans can talk about how the culture is changing but I have been seeiing the same thing since Dan Hawkins showed up over ten years ago and nothing has changed, so why would it now? He can talk about no excuses and recruit at the highest level etc... but until I see W's, I am cautious.

I actually strongly disagree hiring a proven, top-level coach is the best way to get really good.

"Just bring in someone like Urban Meyer, Bob Stoops, Nick Saban, Kirby Smart, Dabo Sweeny, James Franklin, or Jim Harbaugh. Shouldn't be that hard."

Business Field or Norlin Quad.
Logistically, neither is ideal, as the music school is right next to Farrand Field. However, the Business School field could work if they could figure out a way to transport all the instruments, drums, uniforms, etc from the music school over to the B-School.

Two words: Chuck Fairbanks.

Hiring any coach is a crapshoot. Hiring a big name makes a short term splash, but unless that guy starts winning, the novelty wears off pretty quick.

Two more words: Chip Kelly.

"Just bring in someone like Urban Meyer, Bob Stoops, Nick Saban, Kirby Smart, Dabo Sweeny, James Franklin, or Jim Harbaugh. Shouldn't be that hard."
I said it was not realistic but improving the tailgating experience and bringing in the band from the business school will surely wow them. Insert sarcasm font with exteme eye roll

Logistically, neither is ideal, as the music school is right next to Farrand Field. However, the Business School field could work if they could figure out a way to transport all the instruments, drums, uniforms, etc from the music school over to the B-School.
Neither are that much further and I'm confident these logistics could be very easily figured out. Just saying that Farrand is prime tail gaiting area, and I think they need to start promoting and utilizing it as such in a similar way they use Franklin (minus the parking on the field).

Because it artificially limits a head coaching search in a big way.

Stoops himself would not have fit the definition at the time he was hired by Oklahoma. Same with Meyer at the time he was hired by Florida. Add in other names like Dabo Sweeney, Kirby Smart, Lincoln Riley, David Shaw, and Mark Dantonio. "Proven" coaches are not the only, or even best, path to success.

Because it artificially limits a head coaching search in a big way.

Stoops himself would not have fit the definition at the time he was hired by Oklahoma. Same with Meyer at the time he was hired by Florida. Add in other names like Dabo Sweeney, Kirby Smart, Lincoln Riley, David Shaw, and Mark Dantonio. "Proven" coaches are not the only, or even best, path to success.
I'm very confident that hiring Urban Meyer to CU would be the fastest possible route to pretty big time success.

Back